The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old July 5, 2009, 12:41 PM   #51
Creature

Okay...putting all that aside for a moment, why hasnt the OP answered a direct question that has been asked twice already?

OP: if you felt so threatened and you were so in fear of serious bodily injury occurring to yourself or someone in your group that you felt compelled to fire three shots, why didn't you call 911 immediately after the incident?
Old July 5, 2009, 12:44 PM   #52
Wildalaska

Quote:
It is instructive to watch a rot whip a small animal side to side, breaking it's back and neck.
really? What kind of small animals you reffering to...the neighbors cat?

Wildandthe911questionAlaska TM
Old July 5, 2009, 12:46 PM   #53
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

B..., Naw they would frown on the 9 shot .22wrm revolver I use as the feral cat trap device!
I actually started out my hog trappin then doggin as a freelance state permitted wildlife trapper. Would like to be a "dog cop" but I would bring home too many and save taxpayers a ton of money ridding the world of others...
I have more strict animal judgement lists than the authorities (call me cull happy) and far more stringent expectations of animal owners too....
Brent
Old July 5, 2009, 12:49 PM   #54
5whiskey

I absolutely called 911 and reported it. Of course I did so after the fireworks were over... I would change that part of the story. What happened of that, you may ask? The sheriff called me on the phone, asked what happened, and said he would leave a note on that neighbors door.
Old July 5, 2009, 12:52 PM   #55
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
OP: if you felt so threatened and you were so in fear of serious bodily injury occurring to yourself or someone in your group that you felt compelled to fire three shots, why didn't you call 911 immediately after the incident?
Not speaking for the OP, but for me... when dogs charge me, this isn't the best time to initiate a phone conversation... Once it is over, the emergency is over so it is not legal to dial 911 which is limited to emergency. If it isn't an emergency than I got better things to do besides buggin' the cops to discuss a dog complaint. My list of better things to do includes sittin here pickin' belly button lint. I also prefer to discuss with my neighbor the situation so as not to cost them $250 in fines. I also don't need the strife of a ticked off guy. I rather handle it face to face so he is well aware I ain't just blowin' smoke and am really serious about him controllin' the dogs so I don't have to do it myself!
Brent
Old July 5, 2009, 01:02 PM   #56
Creature

Interesting. A report of two vicious dogs on the loose ...vicious dogs that just charged and nearly attacked a group that contained children, with shots fired even.....and no immediate / in-person response from the police. Sounds like your sheriff and his deputies are mightily overworked.
Old July 5, 2009, 01:04 PM   #57
B. Lahey

It was the 4th of July, of course they were overworked.

Bet that wasn't even close to the most dangerous call of the day involving shots fired.
Old July 5, 2009, 01:07 PM   #58
Creature

Rounding up all the delinquents shooting off illegal fireworks I presume? Give us a break.
Old July 5, 2009, 01:11 PM   #59
B. Lahey

I guess the monacle-wearing tuxedoed citizens of Virginny never fire guns dangerously on the 4th?

Why don't you give me a break.

I bet there was some serious firearms law-breaking going on in 5whiskeys neighborhood just like evey other neighborhood in the US yesterday.

When Cooter lights off his hunting rifle into the next house over, drunk on radiator fluid, that gets a bigger response from the cops than some dogs that didn't bite anyone.
Old July 5, 2009, 01:11 PM   #60
5whiskey

Quote:
Not speaking for the OP, but for me... when dogs charge me, this isn't the best time to initiate a phone conversation... Once it is over, the emergency is over so it is not legal to dial 911 which is limited to emergency. If it isn't an emergency than I got better things to do besides buggin' the cops to discuss a dog complaint. My list of better things to do includes sittin here pickin' belly button lint. I also prefer to discuss with my neighbor the situation so as not to cost them $250 in fines. I also don't need the strife of a ticked off guy. I rather handle it face to face so he is well aware I ain't just blowin' smoke and am really serious about him controllin' the dogs so I don't have to do it myself!
I happen to agree with that Brent, but I did notify LEO (though not through 911) about the incident because I was concerned that the dogs were still running loose. Not becuase I shot my firearm and was about to shoot a dog. You can hate me, flame me, talk smack to me... around here shooting a dog is not an earth shattering event. I've shot several. I've put my own dog down because I thought he was too agressive. I've put 2 of my dogs down because they were injured. I've killed a neighbors dog that got into daddy's chickens when I was 12. The thought of calling the law never even occured to me then, or anyone else for that matter. Daddy took the neighbors dog back to him, along with the 2 chickens he killed, and buried it for him. I guess people were more civil back then... the neighbor helped Daddy bury the dog and they still went fishing together.

Things have changed a bit since I grew up. I understand that. Plus, I didn't like the idea of aggresively dogs running loose in a residential neighborhood. I called the SD using the administrative number. Everything is kosher on that end.

BTW, I don't mind legit questions. Such as the 911, why shoot 3 warning shots. I've addressed those. For everyone on their moral high ground high horse of "OMG he shot his pistol, he's guilty and trigger happy and ready to kill something"... stay out of my thread or I'll lock it myself.
Old July 5, 2009, 01:13 PM   #61
Creature

Keep stretching B...maybe someone will actually take your comments defending that sheriff's department seriously.
Old July 5, 2009, 01:14 PM   #62
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
Rounding up all the delinquents shooting off illegal fireworks I presume? Give us a break.
Traffic control likely trumps a loose dog complaint on fireworks day!
Brent
Old July 5, 2009, 01:15 PM   #63
OuTcAsT

5whiskey,

Sounds like you did fine given the circumstances. Glad everyone (including the dogs) is OK.

As for firing at a dog inside a suburban area, I will share a story that I posted here a couple of years back;

Quote:
A few years back, I Lived in an urban area, fairly nice neighborhood, was supervising my kids, and some other neighborhood kids, playing in my yard.
I hear a child screaming across the street and see him being attacked by a dog, the dog was tossin' him like a chew toy. I ran across the street and finally, after much kicking and punching, managed to get the dog to release the childs thigh, the dog then lunged at me, I drew my 1911 and fired 1 round into the dogs head point blank, and dispatched him. I re-holstered my weapon, and began to asess the childs wounds as my wife called 911.
Apparently someone else had as well, seconds later no less than a half dozen patrol cars pulled up, I was not really paying attention as I was busy rendering first aid to the victim. Next thing I know, I have several officers drawn down on me and ordering me to the ground felony-stop style. I get a knee in my back and on my neck, cuffed, dis-armed, and after being thrown onto the hood of a black and white,and searched again, locked in the back of said black-and white.
After the situation was explained to the officers by witnesses, and by me, the officers explained quite clearly that the initial call they got was for "shots fired" they roll up and see me covered in blood and armed, and a victim on the ground. their first impression was to neutralize the obvious threat...ME. They were so happy that I had helped them out that they left me a citation for unlawful discharge of a weapon.
Note: I am NOT judging the police response here, I understand it fully, and , other than some un-necessary language, have no problem with it, (well, other than that citation) The boy had to have several surgeries, but he came through fine. The dog owner got really pi$$ed at me, but soon forgot about it when the lawsuits started piling up.

Does not morality imply the last clear chance? - WildAlaska -

Last edited by OuTcAsT; July 5, 2009 at 01:25 PM.
Old July 5, 2009, 01:15 PM   #64
5whiskey

Quote:
okay, then i must have missed something. How close did that one dog get to the closest person in your group? why fire the three shots if it appeared that your yelling stopped their advance?
because i'm not comfortable with two large, aggressive seeming dogs being within 25' of me and small children

I don't mind questions like "are you sure the backstop was adequate?". I don't mind comments such as "yeah, you need to keep the group closer together for events such as this" or "you need to overcome that safety fumble with more training". Or even "you could've just fired one warning shot". If there is any other way my tactics were deficient then tell me please. To question the decision made on grounds of morals does not comprise the response I was looking for. I acted as responsible as can be reasonably possible at the moment, balancing the need to be safe with the use of a firearm with the need to protect small children, without shedding any blood in the end. In other words don't give me some garbage such as...

Quote:
Before I use a firearm in SD against a dog, I will have teeth marks in me already so as to easily defend in court.
#1 I'm not letting teeth marks get into small children when I'm there if there's any way I can prevent it.
#2 This is the polar opposite of the attitude "yeah doggies, I'm gonna shoot that boy for trespassing. Yee-haw". There's extremes on both ends of the spectrum.
#3 I'm not you

Last edited by 5whiskey; July 5, 2009 at 01:29 PM.
Old July 5, 2009, 01:15 PM   #65
Creature

Quote:
Once it is over, the emergency is over so it is not legal to dial 911 which is limited to emergency.
Right. By that logic it would be illegal for a woman who has been raped to dial 911 after the rapist has left the scene, right?
Old July 5, 2009, 01:16 PM   #66
Buzzcook

I would suggest going back to the house in question and telling the owner that their dogs "Threatened" your group. They might then take whatever actions are necessary to keep the dogs under control in the future.
It is a good idea to notify the police or animal control in case the owner doesn't take care of the situation.

As for how you handled the situation, it worked and no harm was done.
I take your description of the attitude of the dogs at face value because I wasn't there.
Old July 5, 2009, 01:16 PM   #67
B. Lahey

THE DOGS DIDN'T BITE ANYONE. NOBODY WAS HURT.

What do you expect, the friggin' SWAT team to show up?
Old July 5, 2009, 01:17 PM   #68
Creature

Quote:
because i'm not comfortable with two large, aggressive seeming dogs being within 25' of me and small children
But you were comfortable enough not to dial 911 immediately to report two apparently very dangerous dogs on the loose that you fired three shots at? That is amazing to me.
Old July 5, 2009, 01:18 PM   #69
Creature

Quote:
THE DOGS DIDN'T BITE ANYONE. NOBODY WAS HURT.

What do you expect, the friggin' SWAT team to show up?
Dont be silly. I would expect the sheriff or one of his deputies to show up. Not at all unreasonable, wouldn't you say?
Old July 5, 2009, 01:18 PM   #70
B. Lahey

They did show up, so what are you freaking out about?
Old July 5, 2009, 01:19 PM   #71
Creature

Quote:
Traffic control likely trumps a loose dog complaint on fireworks day!
Since when has traffic control trumped shots fired in any municipality?
Old July 5, 2009, 01:20 PM   #72
Creature

Quote:
They did show up, so what are you freaking out about?
The sheriff called the complainant to say they would leave a note with the dog owner. Come on now.
Old July 5, 2009, 01:25 PM   #73
B. Lahey

Showing up eventually to notify the neighbor is good enough for me. Doesn't sound like rushing out there sirens blazing would have done a damn bit of good. They had bigger things to worry about at that moment if the 4th in that town is anything like the 4th in mine.
Old July 5, 2009, 01:28 PM   #74
Creature

So you dont think vicious and attacking dogs on the loose in a neighborhood where children obviously reside warrants your or the sheriff's attention? You dont consider citizens shooting their guns off in the street in order to defend themselves from serious bodily harm is enough to tear you away from traffic duty? I find that even more interesting.
Old July 5, 2009, 01:29 PM   #75
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Once it is over, the emergency is over so it is not legal to dial 911 which is limited to emergency.
Right. By that logic it would be illegal for a woman who has been raped to dial 911 after the rapist has left the scene, right?
Ummm not an acceptable comparison!
Since this situation did not involve physical contact I guess you should have asked...
"So if a guy says something lewd to a pretty girl insinuating sexual contact..." At which I would say it likely isn't worthy of a 911 call afterwards... should he approach her further after the remark he needs 2 CoM!!!!
Brent
Closed Thread