The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 18, 2004, 11:11 PM   #1
bpowell

Hornady Shell holders

I'm relatively new to reloading and am having a problem with the Hornady case trimmer. More specifically the Hornady shell holders, in both 204 Ruger and 300WSM. Some of the cases will not enter the holder when I attempt to mount them in the trimmer. It was just a few of the once fired 204's, but all the new, and many of the once fired 300WSM cases I have will not enter the shell holder. The RCBS shell holders used in my press are not a problem at all. It seems Hornady holds much tighter (too tight?) tolerances. Has anyone else experienced this?
Old December 19, 2004, 05:44 PM   #2
MADISON

Shell Hoder trouble

Shell Hoder trouble.
I woooould either Phone Hornady or E-Mail them, tell them your problem and ask them "for a solution". They have been very good with advice and replacing parts.
Old December 19, 2004, 08:29 PM   #3
bpowell

afix

Thanks for your input. I did some measuring, and found that the minor rim diameter (where the extractor grips) was about .006 larger than the corresponding dimension on the shell holder. I used a sanding drum on a dremel tool and removed about .003 from each side of the holder and the cases fit snugly now. Actually much more snugly than on the RCBS holders. Not sure if the interference fit was due to normal lot to lot tolerences on the cases or if the shellholder was made to small. All my cases fit now and since the 50 new cases I purchased for the 300 WSM will be all I'll ever need-problem solved.

Bill