The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 22, 2000, 04:44 PM   #1
DCR

Greetings! I too am a newbie to CAS and had a question re: the rifles mentioned. I've always been a Winchester fan, and am sticking to that knowing there are many other fine manufacturers out there, hence the limitation to these three for consideration. I will be shooting 45LC since that's my pistol cal. I had heard, though hadn't verified, that the trapper doesn't hold enough rounds for a 10-round stage unless one round is chambered, which would clearly violate safety rules. True?

I'd also be interested in anyone's personal experience with the various barrel lengths of these rifles. Overall length to me is a consideration given my height; I don't want to be having trouble swinging a long barrel. Thanks in advance for any info anyone can give!

- - - Don
Old June 22, 2000, 05:25 PM   #2
Bill Mitchell
Staff Alumnus

Howdy,

Folks shoot Trappers,but they are handicapped by the limited magazine capacity. To get around that limitation,you don't chamber one-you shoot it empty and then reload on the clock.

I shoot a Marlin Cowboy with a 24" barrel. Barrel length is really a matter of personal preference.

Bellicose Bill
Old June 22, 2000, 05:53 PM   #3
Malpaso

I'd go with a Marlin, I've got two.
Old June 23, 2000, 05:14 AM   #4
Ned Roundtree

My first cowboy action shooting rifle was a 94 Winchester in 45LC, beautiful wood and hand checkered grip. Loved that gun. But I changed calibers after the first season. Every time a certain cowboy comes out to shoot, I get to see my old rifle again. I personally would lean towards the Trails End Model. Definitely looks the part, hold the right number of shells and is a Winchester! And a heck of a lot more affordable than a Marlin.

[This message has been edited by Ned Roundtree (edited June 23, 2000).]
Old June 25, 2000, 11:04 AM   #5
Jeffly

I started with a Win. Legacy in 357. It didn,t feed or cycle very well. A gunsmith that works on a lot of Cowboy guns said the Legacy was the worst of the Winchester line. I switched to a Marlin , That's what I would recomend. Jeff
Old June 26, 2000, 12:10 PM   #6
sundog

Why not consider an original Winchester DESIGN such as the Model 92. There are two really good ones out there in Browning and Rossi. Not a Winchester? Short of getting hammered I think Model 92 is more authentic than either the new Winchesters or Marlins. Just a thought. Don't acquire your gear wearing blinders. sundog
Old June 26, 2000, 12:21 PM   #7
DCR

Thank you all for your sage advice. I sure appreciate the luxury of being able to ask around before opening the wallet. I will factor all responses into my decision when I make it. Obviously, I will need to consider broadening my search (within reasonable $ limits) and continue looking the next two weeks.

If there are other suggestions from others, please send them, and thank you all again for your responses.

- - - Don
Old June 26, 2000, 12:31 PM   #8
Bill Mitchell
Staff Alumnus

Howdy Sundog,

The current Marlin Cowboy is very nearly an exact copy of the original Marlin 94,aside from the forearm wood. That said,I own both a Marlin Cowboy and a Rossi 92,though I shoot the Marlin in CAS matches. The only problem that I see with 92 copies is that,if you short stroke one,it isn't very forgiving,while a Marlin can be short stroked and still work. The Rossis being imported and sold by Navy Arms are head and shoulders above the older Rossi guns,as far as fit and generally workability. The Navy Arms guns feel as if they have already had an action job,while most Rossis I've seen,mine included,need an action job to make shooting them more of a pleasure and less of a chore.

Bellicose Bill
Old June 27, 2000, 03:52 PM   #9
sundog

Howdy back atcha, Bill.

Yer right about Rossi's actions needin' some cleanin' up a little. I've never had a short strokin' problem on mine (yet), but I did on a Marlin and got rid of it. Now, the Browning's another story - it ain't nuthin but a purediose summer picnic under the willers down by the river on a Sunday afternoon with yer best gal! I guess I was tryin' to splain to Bronco was to look around a little before openin' his money belt. Kinda like if'n ya wantin' to buy a mule, they ain't all the same. Most of the pokes out at our place will let ya try out one a their irons before ya decide which one to buy. I think most of the clubs are the same way. sundog