The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Closed Thread

Old October 16, 2014, 09:40 AM   #1
derrabe

Cheaperthandirt BUYER BEWARE

Last night I thought I got a good deal (or so I thought) on some cases of ammo through cheaperthandirts website. They charged my credit card and sent me a receipt as well as several order status emails including a shipping notification. I know the price was low but I figured maybe they were just having a good sale or were way over stocked. This morning I check the shipping status on my item and notice in the bottom corner it says 6lbs. I knew the weight should have been a lot more then that. So I contacted them to find out what was going on and they informed me that my order was wrong and they just shipped what ever they felt like ( a much smaller quantity of what I ordered). When questioned about it they said that is what I ordered but my receipt and their order status says something completely different. They never notified my of any changes to my order just decided to send me what the thought I wanted and expected me to be happy I guess. After talked to several people and getting, they decide to reroute my order back tot hem and refund my money. Which I personally feel they should honor what I ordered not what they think I should get. Anyways they just lost a customer for life and I hope you will decide to take your business else where as well.
Old October 16, 2014, 10:36 AM   #2
Model12Win

Wow.

I've ordered ammo and other things from CTD many a time without an issue. Disappointing to see they tried to pull a fast one on you like that. LAME!
Old October 16, 2014, 03:46 PM   #3
Old Stony

Given their actions in the late great "Obama ammo shortage", I'm surprised anyone still buys anything from them. Once a scalper...always a scalper.
Old October 16, 2014, 04:28 PM   #4
wogpotter

Did they reduce the price to correct for the wrong shipment?

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old October 16, 2014, 04:34 PM   #5
tangolima

I stopped buying stuff from them long ago. That was when I noticed they carried a bag with Mao's picture on it. Apparently they sourced that from red china. I contacted them to express my issue with their dubious choice of merchandise. They replied back with "free country" rhectoric. A free country indeed. I'm free to not give them my business.

-TL
Old October 16, 2014, 04:53 PM   #6
TXAZ

You indicated you paid by credit card, and they recalled the order and you got a refund. If they made a legit mistake, they are allowed to correct it. Conversely in the future, if you believe upon inspection you did not get what you ordered, call the credit card company and dispute the charge. There is a minor bit of paperwork but buying with a credit card gives you distinct advantages when there is miscommunications, malcontent or down right fraud.

FYI I have heard of great deals at CTD, and also heard of deals not-so-smooth.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old October 16, 2014, 04:57 PM   #7
TXAZ

Also try freedom munitions. I've had good luck with them, very good prices and service.
http://www.freedommunitions.com

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old October 16, 2014, 09:07 PM   #8
Mosin-Marauder

I like CTD and will continue to use them for the stuff I need though it is unfortunate that this happened.. Graf's is also a good place. Their flat rate shipping deal is good.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old October 16, 2014, 10:44 PM   #9
Onward Allusion

Heh, no surprise. CTD is DRT to me. Back during the '09 Panic, they canceled my order because they realized that the could charge double or triple what was already sold to me. They did it to A LOT of customers.

These days, I would rather pay more to MidwayUSA for the same stuff I can get from CTD. Larry Potterfield is a stand up guy that didn't try to take advantage of the panic.
Old October 17, 2014, 08:35 AM   #10
Vt.birdhunter

Lets say the OP ordered 1000 rounds for $400; and they shipped 500 rounds for $400.
Without clarifying it with the customer???????
Think they call that a "bait and switch", BBB loves this stuff.

Did they charge you 5 different shipping fees for warehouse A,B,C, etc.?
Old October 17, 2014, 12:32 PM   #11
JWT

They're about the last place I'd order anything. They are price gougers in all respects. Too many other good sources available to screw around with them.
Old October 17, 2014, 12:49 PM   #12
zincwarrior

Quote:
Last night I thought I got a good deal (or so I thought) on some cases of ammo through cheaperthandirts website. They charged my credit card and sent me a receipt as well as several order status emails including a shipping notification. I know the price was low but I figured maybe they were just having a good sale or were way over stocked. This morning I check the shipping status on my item and notice in the bottom corner it says 6lbs. I knew the weight should have been a lot more then that. So I contacted them to find out what was going on and they informed me that my order was wrong and they just shipped what ever they felt like ( a much smaller quantity of what I ordered). When questioned about it they said that is what I ordered but my receipt and their order status says something completely different. They never notified my of any changes to my order just decided to send me what the thought I wanted and expected me to be happy I guess. After talked to several people and getting, they decide to reroute my order back tot hem and refund my money. Which I personally feel they should honor what I ordered not what they think I should get. Anyways they just lost a customer for life and I hope you will decide to take your business else where as well.
Re...how is what they attempted to do not fraud?
Old October 18, 2014, 07:43 AM   #13
richard597

I have purchased several guns from CTD in the past three years and had zero problems. Their prices are the lowest I can find and the shipping is fast. I will continue to use them. Sorry some of you have had bad experiences with them.
Old October 18, 2014, 09:26 PM   #14
chiefr

Like so many, they have lost my trust after the way they treated customers following Sandy Hook. Canceling orders and relisting for much more. I agree, buyers beware.
Old October 18, 2014, 10:36 PM   #15
trigger643

I haven't done business with them in years. They got booted as a sponsor from AR15.com in 2008 for price gouging and general scummy business practices.

Apparently the collective shooting community's memory is short.

Here's a refresher from 2012:

And last year...

http://www.gunsandammo.info/blog/ammo-price-gouging

https://www.facebook.com/BoycottCheaperThanDirt
Old October 18, 2014, 11:33 PM   #16
tangolima

Trigger, well said.

I don't understand why they are still in business. Apparently people are still giving them business, perhaps fooled by their catchy name.

-TL
Old October 19, 2014, 01:50 PM   #17
dogtown tom

Quote:
Onward Allusion ....I would rather pay more to MidwayUSA for the same stuff I can get from CTD. Larry Potterfield is a stand up guy that didn't try to take advantage of the panic.
Midway? Seriously? Midway?
Midway who had GREAT prices during the panic.....but no ammunition actually IN STOCK?
Midway whose shipping charges were historically 25-45% higher than any other internet retailer?

Yeah, Midway and Potterfield are standups all right. I'm still waiting on them to honor my backorders from two years ago......for stuff they will sell YOU today for more $$$.

Quote:
JWT ...They are price gougers in all respects....
Undoubtedly you have no idea what "price gouging" really is.
Merely pricing something higher than YOU think reasonable isn't price gouging. If it were then 90% of the sellers on this forum would be "gouging" wouldn't they.

Quote:
trigger643 I haven't done business with them in years. They got booted as a sponsor from AR15.com in 2008 for price gouging and general scummy business practices.
Got a citation for this?
CTD JOINED AR15.com in 2008 and continues to be a Industry Partner and even has their own sub forum.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE

Last edited by dogtown tom; October 19, 2014 at 01:58 PM.
Old October 19, 2014, 02:21 PM   #18
Mosin-Marauder

They have the cheapest 7.62x54R.

Therefore I like them.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old October 24, 2014, 02:43 PM   #19
trigger643

Quote:
dogtown tom Got a citation for this?
CTD JOINED AR15.com in 2008 and continues to be a Industry Partner and even has their own sub forum.
Seems the original post on ARFdotcom was been removed (I've been on ARF since 1998).

But here's a link to a contemporary discussion of the original ARF ban and link to the original ARF announcement (now gone).

http://www.xdtalk.com/threads/cheape...gouging.90315/

Money appears able to cure all sorts bad behavior.
Old October 24, 2014, 04:07 PM   #20
wogpotter

There's a discussion on this right now on some forums because of the sudden reappearance of hard to find surplus ammo. So far its about 2:1 in favor of greed over principle.

I just hope those buying the "bargain ammo" don't get shafted again.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old October 25, 2014, 08:59 AM   #21
Vt.birdhunter

I dont think this one is about CTD jacking up prices when demand skyrockets.

The OP had a VERY legitimate gripe; CTD's actions in his case were careless, unscrupulous and probably illegal.
Old January 14, 2015, 11:08 PM   #22
skizzums

I have bought two sets of 880 round 7.62x54R from cheaper than dirt in the last 6mo, one for me and one for dad. cheapest I could find, minimal hassle and shipped super fast. during the great "panic", every gun store big and small around here was charging nearly a hundred dollars for sks mags and a dollar around for anything that wasn't milsurp. if some people are wiling to pay those prices in a shortage, that's what supply and demand is all about. It's about as American as baseball

as for the OP, that's certainly a granted disagreement and I will check the status, thanks for sharing
Old June 26, 2015, 08:21 AM   #23
cptjack

was doing an order from CTD was wondering why the shipping was so high....reason they charge shipping from every warehouse.......if you must buy from them make sure it comes from one warehouse
Old June 26, 2015, 01:25 PM   #24
745SW

I haven’t bought from them in years and have no intention to continue patronizing them. My experience with CTD was OK at the time but it appears things have changed.
Old June 26, 2015, 03:52 PM   #25
Spats McGee
Staff

Let's let this thread pass back into the great beyond.