The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 13, 2012, 06:17 PM   #1
snook135

finally purchased a press.

Well after YEARS of deciding I bought a progressive press today. I was between the Lock N Load and the Dillon 650. I decided to go with the 650 after being on hold forever with Hornady. Not to mention while I stopped in a shop today the owner mentioned he had trouble getting parts from them due to the backorders.

And to top it off Dillon gives active duty military a 10% discount.

My question for ya is. I am a first time reloaded long time researcher.

What tumbler should I go with? No looking for the most expensive one , but one thats not too loud.

Walnut or corn cob for cleaning pistol brass? I would prefer low dust.

Thanks.

Last edited by snook135; March 13, 2012 at 07:10 PM.
Old March 13, 2012, 06:48 PM   #2
serf 'rett

How about NO DUST!

But wet tumbling with stainless steel pins ain't cheap in the initial cost.

Tumblers come in many sizes; from my little 3 pound Thumler (150 9mm case max) to the cement mixer run by one of the other FL members. Toss out a little more information and I'm sure someone will make recommendations.

Pistol only? Perhaps rifle later?

Caliber?

Volume per session?

How clean you want 'em? Plinking or 600+ yard bench rest (kinda long for that pistol)?
Old March 13, 2012, 07:08 PM   #3
snook135

tumbler under $100.00

Mainly for pistol aprox 500 9mm per session

I will focus to start reloading 9mm, 45, and 454, them move into .223

I don't shoot my other calibers enough to worry about reloading for them as of yet.

I use a lot of 9mm with my sub gun, 500 rounds per outing.

45acp 150 rounds per outing

454 50 rounds per outing

.223 100 rounds per outing.

I would like to keep on hand:

1,000 rounds 9mm
500 rounds 45
200 rounds 454
500 rnds .223
Old March 13, 2012, 08:17 PM   #4
Vance

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/...ategoryId/483?
Graf's has several brands that star at $50 and go up from there depending on brand and size. I have a Lymann 1200 tumbler that I could do about 400 9mm cases in. Took longer for that many. I only used walnut media in it. Use a dryer sheet in the media and it keeps the dust down.
Old March 13, 2012, 08:47 PM   #5
Edward429451

The stainless steel media and rock tumbler type polishers are a little more money at first, but the media is totally reusable so it would be cheaper over time. It shines brass in two hours and makes it look virgin. (with dawn dishsoap!)

I am usin a Dillon tumbler for the last 5 years or so, and its ok. I had the big Lyman tumbler before and it lasted for...15 years? They would have fixed it for 80 bucks but I lost it during a move.
Old March 13, 2012, 09:06 PM   #6
Martowski

I went with the Cabelas brand Model 400. It's made by Berry's. I like it a lot, but quiet it ain't!
Old March 13, 2012, 11:25 PM   #7
bitttorrrent

So snook.. what are you going to load on your 650.

Im new to reloading too and have been borrowing my Dads 650 and getting it set up to load 9mm.

Turned the lever and made a few .45's for first time.

Great press - you will enjoy.

Let me know how it goes and if any problems. I hope to try again this weekend with my new 9mm load and dies.
Old March 14, 2012, 04:50 PM   #8
snook135

went with the berrys. I plan to start with reloading 45.acp then 454, and 44mag. cost wise. but I shoot a lot of 9mm through a SMG. so that will come also. I have a lot of calibers and I think this will pay off quickly as I have been collecting brass for years.

To start what 45acp bullets and powder do you suggest. Most of my 45's will be fired from 1911's
Old March 14, 2012, 05:21 PM   #9
BigJimP

I've used the small Dillon - vibrating cleaner for a long time ...none of them are real quiet...( I run it when I'm out of that area of the house for 3 or 4 hours ) . I put it on an old towel ...seems to help ...a little ...

I use crushed walnut shells for media.../when it gets dusty, I replace it ...

I'm using a 650 as well ...great press / I think you'll like it a lot.

For all of my handgun calibers..( 9mm, .40S&W, .45 acp, .38spl, .357 mag and .44 mag....I've gone to Hodgdon Universal powder...but Hodgdon TiteGroup is also a good choice ....and for bullets...either Berry's plated...or Montana Gold for jacketed bullets. Montana gold is a little more money / but a better product. Berry's is the best of the "plated" bullets in my view.

Enjoy the new press.
Old March 14, 2012, 06:55 PM   #10
NWPilgrim

I put my vibrating tumbler on a rubber door mat in the garage. That absorbs much of the noise. Berry's or Dillon seem to be a couple of the best. My latest is the large Dillon and it can hold a LOT of cases.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old March 15, 2012, 12:49 AM   #11
orthosophy

my brother is a watchmaker; I talked him out of a small sonic cleaner. It's only about 5 inches square, but that's big enough for me.

For solution, I just use water with a bit of ammonia (some people use citric acid, so I've heard). Doesn't shine them all pretty, but it cleans them well enough.

I run it about 20 minutes a pop for my auto cases (which hit the dirt) and about 10 for my revolver cases (which never do, unless I'm clumsy)
Old March 15, 2012, 10:34 AM   #12
Edward429451

Quote:
I put it on an old towel ...seems to help .
A bad idea. I burned up a dillon tumbler once because I ran it on the carpet. Air has to circulate under it to cool the motor.
Old March 15, 2012, 11:23 AM   #13
BigJimP

a bath towel isn't as thick as a carpet pad ....but I understand your point.

On a towel - there is still enough air circulation in my opinion.
Old March 15, 2012, 12:24 PM   #14
hounddawg

Quote:

For solution, I just use water with a bit of ammonia (some people use citric acid, so I've heard). Doesn't shine them all pretty, but it cleans them well enough.
might want to rethink the ammonia and a use a bit of vinegar and detergent instead

Quote:
Brass is susceptible to stress corrosion cracking, especially from ammonia or substances containing or releasing ammonia. The problem is sometimes known as season cracking after it was first discovered in brass cartridge cases used for rifle ammunition during the 1920s in the Indian Army. The problem was caused by high residual stresses from cold forming of the cases during manufacture, together with chemical attack from traces of ammonia in the atmosphere. The cartridges were stored in stables and the ammonia concentration rose during the hot summer months, so initiating brittle cracks.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brass

I even skipped the ultrasonic. I just wash mine now with lukewarm water. The cases seem to come out clean and if I use the vinegar shiny as any I ever tumbled using walnut media and car polish, cleaner actually since the wet method seems to clean the interior better
Old March 15, 2012, 12:43 PM   #15
Stevie-Ray

I load only pistol cartridges, so I went with Dillon's SDB a long time ago and it's been great. I also looked at all the popular tumblers in medium size and ended up with an RCBS. Think it cost me 69 bucks all those years ago, and it isn't very quiet. Corn cob works better, but walnut shells lasts much longer, so I've used nothing but walnut. Takes a while (several hours) but looks great. Not dusty for me.
Old March 16, 2012, 06:17 PM   #16
snook135

great info! I went with the berry as I got the squirrel cage, tumbler, media, and polish for 72.00 my press and goodies should arrive sometime next week. can't wait to set it up.

I did also buy the strong mount and roller handle....
Old March 18, 2012, 08:21 AM   #17
FatWhiteMan

Order one from Harbor Freight. Don't forget to use your 20% off any one item coupon from your favorite NRA publication. If yo don't get a monthly NRA Magazine, then you need to fix that problem first.
Old March 19, 2012, 05:12 PM   #18
mumbo719

Great press, purchased an LNL in December and I now have Blue envy.
Old March 24, 2012, 12:19 PM   #19
snook135

set up the press and loaded some 45 test rounds last night. went to the range for a quick test the pic is 7 rounds 45 cap 5.5grain 231, with 230g round nose CMJ Shooting from a PARA 1911 @ 7yards

for some reason I can't rotate the photo clockwise 90deg to it's correct. orientation

I'm happy.. going to load the rest of my brass tonight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo copy 4.jpg (119.5 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by snook135; March 24, 2012 at 12:25 PM.
Old March 26, 2012, 04:33 PM   #20
Lead Express

That's some good shooting! Welcome to a very obsessive hobby, by the way. It's destroying my life.
Old March 27, 2012, 11:25 PM   #21
bitttorrrent

.45's look good. Did some last weekend and working on getting 9mm set up.

I have a separate plate for different caliber - so i won't mess up my Dad's .45 and 45lc. The die set came and I set it up a little bit. Now need to adjust it.

Do i need the powder check piece. I filled all the other slots with the dies and and new powder feeding tube, but do not have an extra powder checker piece unless i rip it off the other platform.

I'll try to get a picture cuase this sounds too confusing. I have the manual but is not here.
Old March 28, 2012, 08:11 AM   #22
ScottRiqui

Quote:
set up the press and loaded some 45 test rounds last night. went to the range for a quick test the pic is 7 rounds 45 cap 5.5grain 231, with 230g round nose CMJ Shooting from a PARA 1911 @ 7yards
Is 5.5 gr of W231 below max for a jacketed 230 gr bullet? I don't have my load manuals with me, but the Hodgdon site lists 5.3 gr as a max.

If this is a load that you've made before and are familiar with, then forgive me. It just seems a bit stout for the first test rounds from a new press.
Old March 28, 2012, 11:39 AM   #23
BigJimP

I'm with Scott on this one.....

Hodgon site ...lists 4.2 min ..and 5.3 max with win 231 in a 230gr jacketed bullet.../ and since Hodgdon is the powder mfg...I'd recommend you seriously consider their data....

I'm not saying you're in dangerous territory here ...on a very stout case like a .45 acp..../ but the question I'd recommend you ask yourself ...is why go there...when the experts tell you 5.3 is max...( for new loaders in general - this is not a good idea ! ).
Old March 28, 2012, 07:47 PM   #24
bitttorrrent

So Scott and BigJim - look like you know what you are talking about from all your posts...

From above post about over max. grains - how sensitive is the process?

I noticed that our old style scale is hard to pinpoint exactly. So if we were shooting for 3.9 say - it was 3.8-4.0 in reality.

Is this acceptable?
Old March 29, 2012, 06:21 AM   #25
WESHOOT2

5.5g W231 is utterly completely totally safe.

Suggest testing all that new stuff with 5.0g W231....