The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 20, 2011, 10:00 PM   #1
458winshooter

mosin nagant loading issue

I want to try my M44 at my next CMP match but I am having feeding issues.First it is hard to feed 5 rounds with a stripper clip,when I do get them in, I push the bolt foward and the top round in the magazine noses downward and will not feed.I get the feeling that somehow the rim of the top round is catching behind the one below it.Is there a catch to how to load a stripper clip on one of these or perhaps a weak mag spring?Any help would be appreciated. Russ
Old September 22, 2011, 01:00 PM   #2
Don P

I experienced the same problem at a Appleseed shoot. What I did and it seemed to work was load the strip with the first round tilted upward so the rims of the next round are in front of the round below it. I also found that if you give the rounds a good push and get a bit overzealous the top round is down to far and jams under the (interrupter-ejector) and nose dives when you try to chamber it getting caught under the interrupter-ejector.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old September 22, 2011, 06:41 PM   #3
4bfox

Well..I went through a LOT of agony trying to learn how to "speed-load" the Mosin. After lots of frustration and cutting the heck out of my thumb, I can offer the following advice:

1. Loosen up the stripper clips. I use vise grips and pry the sides apart slightly, so the cartridges slide in the clip easily.

2. As Don P alluded to, place your index finger under the bullet on the top round on the stripper clip, then press down with your thumb to "strip" the cartridges off into the internal magazine. With a little practice, you can actually speed-load fairly quickly.

After some practice, it's possible to make it through all four stages of the QDAQT at an Appleseed, and get off all your rounds. Anyhow...have fun!
Old September 22, 2011, 08:37 PM   #4
mapsjanhere

Originally the ammo came on stripper clips from the factory, with the rims in the right order. The strips were never mend to be reloaded, that's why the extra attention is needed when doing it by hand.
Old September 24, 2011, 08:30 AM   #5
Harry Bonar

nagant

Sir;
The Monsin Nagant is not supposed to do this; there is an interrupter built into the action to hold down the next round!
By using a stripper clip it should also function well.
I'd load singly or check the action for the interrupter function!
Harry B.
Old September 25, 2011, 04:29 AM   #6
458winshooter

nagant

Thanks to all who posted,I was thinking along those lines about angling the shells upward.It seems to work some better that way still not as slick as my K-98 mauser but I think I will give it a try.Next month there is 2 CMP rifle matches and a rifle clinic so I will get plenty of chances to try.
Old September 25, 2011, 06:03 PM   #7
Mike40-11

You do need to stack the rims correctly. Rather than trying to explain it, here's a very good video showing the loading of both the clips and the rifle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z7n5...eature=related