The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old July 22, 2010, 06:40 PM   #1
ScottRiqui

Hypothetical Screw-Up - Any Way to Fix This?

Let's say John received a handgun from his father, but they're residents of two different states, and John unknowingly neglected to involve a local FFL in the transfer.

Problem is, John has since sold the gun to a dealer in his local state, so it's too late to complete the FFL transfer.

Is there any way to make this right? And more importantly, how likely is this to cause a problem for John in the future?
Old July 22, 2010, 06:56 PM   #2
ZeSpectre

If John was "gifted" the firearm from an immediate relative, and John lives in Virginia, then it doesn't matter. If John lived in another state then I can't answer the question.

(Oh unless John lived in NY or NJ in which case he should just shoot himself and get it over with).
Old July 22, 2010, 06:57 PM   #3
rjrivero

Let's just say, John Lived with his father when he bequeathed the firearm to John. It was MANY years ago, who remembers how long.

John decided to sell the gun when he moved to another state.

All's good in the hood.
Old July 22, 2010, 07:05 PM   #4
highvel

I wouldnt sweat it, the way the story goes! If it were acquired from some other source ,or different circumstance, I think it could lead down a dark path though.

"I have opinions of my own 'strong opinions' but I don't always agree with them."--George Bush
Old July 22, 2010, 07:18 PM   #5
Webleymkv

It depends, if John's dad gave him the pistol while John was still living in the same state or if John's dad gave him the pistol before 1968 then there is no issue. If that is not the case, however, then a federal crime was committed. Even so, it is very unlikely that it would give John or his dad any trouble as it would have to be proved that John's dad gave him the gun after 1968 when John was already a resident of another state. Even then, the gun would probably have to be seized in connection with a crime which is less likely since John sold it to an FFL.
Old July 22, 2010, 07:18 PM   #6
ScottRiqui

Quote:
If John was "gifted" the firearm from an immediate relative, and John lives in Virginia, then it doesn't matter.
Do you have a reference for intra-family gifting being exempt from the federal requirement for FFL transfer between residents of different states? That would go a long way toward easing John's mind.
Old July 22, 2010, 08:20 PM   #7
ZeSpectre

Quote:
Do you have a reference for intra-family gifting being exempt from the federal requirement for FFL transfer between residents of different states?
My point is that there is no firearms registration in VA and no sales record from a family member, so it would be pretty much impossible to prove where a firearm came from or that any crime was committed.....well unless John were to start talking about it on a public forum or something.
Old July 22, 2010, 08:23 PM   #8
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottRiqui
Do you have a reference for intra-family gifting being exempt from the federal requirement for FFL transfer between residents of different states? ...
No one does, because there isn't any -- at least if you (the giver) are still alive. If you want to give someone a gun and come within an exception to the transfer going through an FFL, you have to die.

"It shall be unlawful...(3) for any person, ... to transport into or receive in the State where he resides ... any firearm purchased or otherwise obtained by such person outside that State, except that this paragraph (A) shall not preclude any person who lawfully acquires a firearm by bequest or intestate succession in a State other than his State of residence from transporting the firearm into or receiving it in that State, if it is lawful for such person to purchase or possess such firearm in that State, (B)... "(18 USC 922(a)(3), emphasis added)

and

"It shall be unlawful...for any person ..to transfer, sell, trade, give, transport, or deliver any firearm to any person (other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector) who the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in ... the State in which the transferor resides; except that this paragraph shall not apply to

(A) the transfer, transportation, or delivery of a firearm made to carry out a bequest of a firearm to, or an acquisition by intestate succession of a firearm by, a person who is permitted to acquire or possess a firearm under the laws of the State of his residence, and

(B)...."(18 USC 922(a)(5), emphasis added)

As to the OP's question. If he's concerned, he really ought to be talking confidentially to a lawyer, rather than discussing a possible legal problem on a public forum.
Old July 22, 2010, 10:47 PM   #9
NavyLT

If I were "John" I wouldn't think twice about it. Nobody (FBI, ATF, NCIS, SVU, CSI, SG-1, etc.) cares.
Old July 23, 2010, 07:01 AM   #10
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

Quote:
If I were "John" I wouldn't think twice about it. Nobody (FBI, ATF, NCIS, SVU, CSI, SG-1, etc.) cares.
I agree. Nobody cares nor will they. Even if the gun is used in the commission of a crime, it was sold to an FFL. That is the last person they'll track down if they start looking into sales history. And if it has gone through multiple FFL's after it was sold, they'll never even come back to the one John sold it to. And why should they bother with any FFL? Bad guy uses gun, bad guy gets caught, bad guy goes to jail. Unless they are trying to make a case against the FFL for straw purchases or illegal sales, they don't care how the gun was obtained.

Suppose they do go to the FFL John sold it too? Even if they want to know that it came from you, how do you prove how you got it? I have a dozen handguns. Each came through a different FFL. If I lose the sales receipt, who is to say where I bought it from? Are they going to scour each FFL in Rhode Island to find out if I own the gun legally? No. This is a nonissue.
Old July 23, 2010, 11:05 AM   #11
Edward429451

Quote:
Do you have a reference for intra-family gifting being exempt from the federal requirement for FFL transfer
At first I thought this was a joke.

Scott, take a deep breath. I know you work for the feds but think back, remember a time when Americans could follow thier conscience without permits and applications. The before time. Scott Come back! Look waaay deep inside and remember family Scott. Family is bigger than gooberment Scott. Remember. John does not need congressional approval before giving his kid a gun, it's none of thier business.
Old July 25, 2010, 03:34 PM   #12
divil

Quote:
If I lose the sales receipt, who is to say where I bought it from?
NICS of course! They have the serial number combined with the FFL license number. The FFL has your signature filed away on a form.

I think they only have access to that stuff if the gun has been used in a crime though.
Old July 26, 2010, 04:47 PM   #13
NavyLT

Quote:
NICS of course! They have the serial number combined with the FFL license number.
NICS never gets the serial number of the gun. They get the type of gun being transferred: handgun, rifle, or other. That's it. I think they have a sale going on tinfoil hats at Wal Mart this week - made in China, of course.
Old July 28, 2010, 07:58 AM   #14
blume357

when the feds come knocking on your door... because

the ffl you sold it to... or even a private person you sold it to... gave them your name just tell them you bought it off a guy and can't remember his name....

then again... if you really want to be paranoid... how did your father get the gun... if he bought it from an FFL that the direction they, the feds, actually start in a trace.. from the manufacturer to the distributor to the deal (ffl) to the first individual that bought the gun and then on....