The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 8, 2013, 11:59 PM   #26
8ring

At the local Gander Mountain a few years ago I saw a box of 9mm ammo priced at $69!. It wasn't even a name brand.

They tried to sell a 14 oz jar of Hodgdon Clays powder for $33. A 100 round value pack of 40 SW went for $59 or $20 more than at the Walmart down the street.

Last visit I saw a used Beretta Neos on "sale' for $375! Prices of other used guns there exceeded prices of the same guns sold new at the local gun store. still there were people lined up to buy guns.

Chris
Old January 9, 2013, 09:03 AM   #27
crazy charlie

You know, if you don't like Gander prices then don't buy there.
It's as simple as that.
I've bought my last few firearms there. Why? First off they had them. Second the prices were right. Third, they didn't pressure me, or tell me what I should buy.
Lately, the prices they are now asking are higher than I paid. So what? I already got mine.
It's a simple fact if the prices are too high go somewhere else or do without.
There are a lot of things I would like to have, but I ask myself, do I really need them and can I afford them?
Old January 9, 2013, 09:22 AM   #28
TennJed

I will say I am a fan of one big box store, Sportsman's Warehouse. The one near me is very reasonable in prices for their guns and reloading gear
Old January 9, 2013, 10:41 AM   #29
tlm225

Our local Gander Mountain is significantly higher priced than competing stores. Then again sometimes they carry stuff I can't get at the other stores. My solution is simple. I buy what I can elsewhere and buy what I must at GM.
Old January 9, 2013, 10:46 AM   #30
west5757

Throwing another one in the mix....there is a sports store in our mall called Dunhams. I have bought quite a bit of bulk ammo from them in the past. They have sales often and when you buy ammo today you get a 10% discount on ammo that lasts for a week or so. I have never looked at their gun prices because I have no intentions of buying one from a chain store.
Old January 9, 2013, 10:08 PM   #31
RB98SS

I've purchased 3 handguns at Gander over the last few years. All were competitively priced and one I got a real good price on. One of the guns had issues initially and Gander provided great service to make it right. I'd buy from them again. I wouldn't however buy any of their reloading supplies as prices on bullets, powder, and primers are way out of line.
Old January 9, 2013, 11:34 PM   #32
MrApathy

local GM was nice for picking up used guns but that has gone away they no longer have a gunsmith in store, he was full up with work too when around. Was nice while they had reloading supplies prices werent terrible but not great they no longer carry reloading equipement. when they first opened prices were reasonable but that has long passed. miss CCI blazer brass in 40sw selling for $8 for 50 rounds boy those were the days. Nowadays need something its either walmart for ammo or Scheels for everything else.
A repeat of history, That's how it goes
Old January 10, 2013, 07:01 AM   #33
donkee

If I am looking for a used firearm I'll stop by GM and ask them to look at other stores inventory to see if they have what I am looking for. Sometimes they will find something and the price in that area for the firearm is decent, I'll have them ship it to the store. If it passes inspection and the price is right I'll take it. I got a few nice revolvers that way.

I did buy my CZ-75 from them new. Back then it was actually a good price when it was on sale. That was back in 2005 or 2006. That was the last nex fireamr I bought from them.

Ammo prices have always been way too high at the one near me. I load my own anyway for all my toys.
Old January 10, 2013, 07:37 AM   #34
CurlyQ.Howard

Some years ago I was treated very rudely by a Gander Mountain representative when I inquired about trading a gun on a newer model. Although I've visited the store since then, I haven't spent one cent in any Gander Mountain yet, and I don't intend to do so ever. It was an interesting experience, and the body language of other Gander Mountain employees, as I waited for this man, the gun trade in representative, made me wonder what I was in for. Even so, I still can't believe that Gander Mountain actually allowed this lunatic to represent the store in the buying, selling, and trading of firearms. Instead of his being free to traverse the store, he should have been cinched up tight in a strait jacket and his mouth stuffed with a rag.
Old January 10, 2013, 02:56 PM   #35
bikerbill

We don't have a GM near where I live, so I schlep 50 miles to Cabela's to shop ... their gun prices aren't great unless you happen to spot a great deal, which does happen on occasion, but their ammo prices are usually excellent and worth the trip ... I've only been to Dick's once, wasn't impressed ... Most of my gun shopping is at McBride's in Austin; ordered an XDm today for $50 under list and they were the only shop that would take the order ... happy to see they're not jacking prices skyhigh in the face of Obama-driven demand ...
Old January 10, 2013, 04:19 PM   #36
jglsprings

Last time around Gander Mountain performed all type of price gouging on ammo, guns, reloading supplies - Everything that was in short supply after the first Obama scare. Their attitude then was too bad, so sad. Take it or leave it.

Being a free market believer, I swore I'd never spend another dime in those stores as long as I lived. I have kept my end of the bargain.

So their behavior now doesn't surprise me a bit.

Commas save lives...
Old January 13, 2013, 03:26 PM   #37
WildmanWilson

The last ammo shortage we had, our local G Mt. jumped on the price gouging band wagon. They suck for the most part but at least they didn't yank the guns off the self like Dicks did. I may not buy guns or ammo from them but I will buy other things from them. Dicks...never again.
Old January 13, 2013, 07:30 PM   #38
Korben7p3c

G/M

I havent been there for about 5 months, and was seriously going to go there on Tuesday to look for a carry holster. I have shopped there before, only on a need be occasion, and bought needed ammo. I've only bought one gun from them, which was a .22, but I've had a serious jones about wanting a GP100 in stainless. A new one. I have the money, and the drive is about 40 miles away, but I'm affraid that the once $500.00 price is now $700.00. I would just about pay that right now as I'm tired of wanting and it's time to buy.
Old January 14, 2013, 01:44 AM   #39
hemiram

Last time I went was last year on Black Friday. The prices they had on ammo were much higher than on the Black Friday ad, and I ended up only buying one box of 22LR of another brand instead of the 4 boxes I had originally planned on buying. In the gun case, they had a couple of nice used guns for more than a new on goes for almost anywhere. I don't understand their business model at all. Sitting on an item for a long time makes no sense. If it's overpriced, it's not going to sell, so you price it reasonably, and get it out the door. They must have one of those old guys you see at gunshows in charge of their pricing, you know, the ones with used guns priced about twice what the same gun would cost on GB. You make them a reasonable offer, and they get angry.
Old January 14, 2013, 02:34 AM   #40
9mm

Quote:
550.00 thats the stainless ones..
shooot..... I remember in 2008-2009 when I was at the gun shop they were $475.
Old January 14, 2013, 04:30 AM   #41
308Prepper

Been in a Gander Mtn twice. Prices are retail +.
Old January 15, 2013, 03:09 PM   #42
CurlyQ.Howard

Never Say Never

Desperate for the gun I wanted, I tried Gander Mountain in Joliet, Il All went perfectly well. The salesman helped me to locate (nationwide search) the autoloader that we (wife and I) wanted. It could not have gone better. If you need help finding a particular firearm, call Scott at Gander Mountain in Joliet, Il.
Old January 15, 2013, 10:25 PM   #43
BigD_in_FL

Quote:
I have heard that they will match prices with other shops, i dont know if it is true though.
Tried that today on some Red Dot powder. Bought some at wally world for $69 for 4#. GM has it for $80. I ask if they price match local suppliers, they say yes, then I mention WalMart and the answer is :"No, because Walmart gets cheaper grades of powder"..After a stunned moment, I looked at the clerk and explained how that would be impossible. He says, "That is what my manager says", and the manager chimes in with "of course it is different, it has different SERIAL numbers". I almost lost my lunch, said loudly how idiotic they were - the counter was full - and walked out. I will never go there again. Their prices a MSRP PLUS 15%, and the clerks are truly ignorant - as dumb as Walmart's.
Old January 17, 2013, 02:12 PM   #44
The Prodigy

Used to work there, and in the year and a half I was in the gun department it was pretty sad how much they raised prices on firearms. Will definitely be buying from my local stores from now on, thats for sure
Old January 17, 2013, 04:11 PM   #45
RamItOne

BigDinFl

Lots of retailers will have the same product but with a diff designation or UPC, thus giving them an out for PM

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...rtant/DJyvnHz0
Old January 17, 2013, 08:59 PM   #46
BigD_in_FL

But it isn't a serial number......typically now, most retailers use the makers UPC code and it may cross reference to a retailer's internal numbering system, but you can bet Alliant and General Dynamics are not going to risk everything making a lower quality product for Wally World.
Old January 17, 2013, 09:23 PM   #47
bustersmaster

I bought my CZpo1 at GM a few years ago. I was a little put out that while they let me examine the display model, they wouldn't even let me see inside the sealed box my actual gun came in. When I got home and looked it over, I discovered that they gave me 2 10 rd. mags only, instead of the 15 rd. mags the display model came with.
I went back and they eventually made it right. I got to keep one of the 10 rounders plus the 2 15 rounders they had to order for me.
It seemed like I paid enough for my CZ at the time, but I don't remember just how much.
I do remember that besides getting probably the nicest 9mm I'll ever own, I got a pretty good trade in on what was probably the worst. A Taurus pt something-or-other.
Old January 18, 2013, 07:20 AM   #48
MWorrell

I've bought two guns at Cabela's... picking up a SR22 today after 3pm (Illinois 72 hour waiting period, apparently to make sure I'm not angry when I buy the gun. Not sure what they do if your wife cheats on you or you get fired during the waiting period, but hey).

Anyway, they actually had the gun and returned my phone calls. My shop of choice didn't have it and had no idea when they could get it, and another shop just didn't call me back.

I end up overpaying by $20 or $30, but I get what I want and the staff is friendly. Plus they actually have some ammo on the shelves right now.
Old February 11, 2013, 09:46 AM   #49
rlc323

I have never been a fan of Gander. It was pretty exciting when they opened up here locally and gave the lousy Dicks some competition. But soon it became clear they were really not competing at all.

I have never seen a store where so many people walk out empty handed. Check it out next time you are there.

Now that I am done ripping them, and after three previous trips walking out with nothing. I finally bought something at a decent price out of their sale flyer that I could not find elsewhere.

Either they are getting better, or I am getting less picky.
Old February 11, 2013, 12:01 PM   #50
MrApathy

they have some deals occasionally
A repeat of history, That's how it goes