The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 17, 2008, 08:02 PM   #1
Doyle

I made my own cleaning vise/cradle

I couldn't find a storebought one that I liked (except the very expensive Tipton) so I made my own. The pics are from my cell phone so they aren't great.

The vise part is made out of a woodworker's clamp. One side is "partially fixed". You can do some limited pivoting by loosening a wingbolt. The other side of the clamp is total freefloating. The jaws are padded with an old (thick style) mouse pad.

The tailstock is adjustable for lenght and height. The length will adjust all the way down to about 4 inches from the vise (for holding pistols) or all the way out to about 35" (for holding fishing rods ?). It adjusts up and down to accomodate any level I need and it can be flipped to expose a different size concave hole. Both holes are padded with new-style (thin) mousepads. The small hole fits a shotgun sized barrel. The larger hole is big enough to handle a SxS shotgun forearm.

I used 3/4" plywood that I had laying in the garage. The only things I had to buy were the clamp (4.99 at Harbor Freight) all the bolts and nuts (maybe a couple of bucks) and a tube of adhesive to glue the pads on with.

I need to borrow a couple of larger sized hole saws to put in some holes for holding cleaning chemical bottles and spray cans. I've already drilled some holes to hold cleaning rod attachments.

As you can see, I've already started putting it to use on my latest restoration project - a Savage 340C in .22 hornet.
Old January 18, 2008, 06:06 AM   #2
Martyn4802

Good Job!!!!
Old January 23, 2008, 10:44 PM   #3
razorbuc

Good job Doyle...I have a Tipton,but you made me ashamed of myself for not building one myself.....looks good,with good ideas.I may use a couple of your ideas and build a wooden one.
Old January 23, 2008, 10:58 PM   #4
DonR101395

You did a great job. I hope you don't mind if I copy it for myself.
Old January 23, 2008, 11:08 PM   #5
whitefish

That looks awesome !

Damn - and I just bought a cheap MTM cradle.
Old January 24, 2008, 12:28 AM   #6
Hello123

You obviously have some talent and skill, be proud. Very good job.