The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 22, 2000, 11:12 PM   #1
jeepCJ

I have a box of 5000 CCI Magnum Pistol Primers. I reload .45acp and use CCI Large Pistol Primers as is required. I hate to see the Magnums sitting in a drawer!! Can I use these and if so what adjustments will I need? My current bullet is a 200g lead swc and 6.0g of Winchester Super Field giving me aprox. 875-880 fps.
Thanks, Dave
Old February 23, 2000, 11:32 AM   #2
JoeHatley

If you want to use up your existing supply of Magnum primers you should be able to substitue them for regular primers.

The "flame" generated by magnum primers lasts a little longer than regular primers. That's why they are recomended for large charges of slow burning powders.

They probably will raise pressure in you loads a bit, so if your loads are already "hot" you might get into trouble.

I'm not real familiar with Winchester powders, but at the velocities you mentioned, your load probably is not already on the ragged edge of safty.

Good Luck...

Joe

------------------
Go NRA
Old February 23, 2000, 07:07 PM   #3
johnnybravo

Reduce your powder charge by about 5% and you should be okay

------------------
johnnyb