The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 28, 2013, 02:02 AM   #1
sigcurious

Foreign Version of JROTC?

Link

Pretty interesting field strip and teamwork exercise. I wonder what the backstory is on this, it seems like foreign JROTC or something similar. A question for the AK-type aficionados, what is the cylinder that fits in the rear of the stock?
Old February 28, 2013, 02:04 AM   #2
5.56RifleGuy

cleaning kit sight adjustment tool thing
Old February 28, 2013, 08:17 AM   #3
Willie Sutton

Likely a DOSAAF club.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOSAAF

Willie

Old February 28, 2013, 01:33 PM   #4
lcpiper

The USSR always claimed that the Boy Scouts of America was our paramilitary pre-school for our Capitalist Armies of Agression
Old February 28, 2013, 01:43 PM   #5
ScottRiqui

Quote:
The USSR always claimed that the Boy Scouts of America was our paramilitary pre-school
Was that really a 'thing'? The only time I ever heard the Boy Scouts called a "paramilitary" organization was in the original "Red Dawn" movie.
Old February 28, 2013, 03:04 PM   #6
lcpiper

I must confess I am not so sure of my statement but I can explain it's source.

I remember when I was in the Army, I was in Military Intelligence, and we were looking at something that had to do with the Young Pioneers which is basicly a Russian version of the Boy Scouts. And for those that don't know, the Boy Scouts basicly started in England in the early 1900s I think.

Anyway, the topic was about how they were training the Young Pioneers on military and weapons skills. We accepted that info easily enough, but someone said they say the same thing about our Boy Scouts.

For all I know the info on the Young Pioneers could have been false as well. Not everyone tells the truth nor have they ever it seems.
Old February 28, 2013, 03:14 PM   #7
ScottRiqui

Quote:
Not everyone tells the truth nor have they ever it seems.
That's true. As an aside, I grew up on a steady diet of Hollywood films during the last fifteen years of the Cold War, with their depictions of Russians in general, and the KGB in particular. Lately, I've gotten curious, and would like to see some Russian films from the same era, just to see how they portray Americans and the CIA. I suspect there was probably a lot of "fictionalization" going on from both sides.
Old February 28, 2013, 03:18 PM   #8
Willie Sutton

DOSAAF was much more "militarized" than the Young Pioneers, and certainly much more militarized than the Boy Scouts. The name of the organization translated is "voluntary society to support the army, air-force, and fleet". This is a far cry from doing camping trips. I have been intimately involved with some of the draw-down of DOSAAF, and have purchased several airplanes from their former training fleet, including a MiG-15 Fighter that was registered with a civilian Russian registration number and which was used for civilian orientation flying. Piston engine aircraft (Yak-52 mainly) were used to do flight training and conduct aerobatic competitions in Russia, and from these competitions, the best cadets were drawn and sent to military flying schools and entered into one of the three Soviet air-forces (yes they had three different air forces).

Young Pioneers was more like Scouting.

DOSAAF was more like Junior ROTC.

Willie