The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 24, 2000, 04:45 PM   #1
Jhp147

After getting the idea from a TFL person, I am contemplating removal of the accessory rail of my 4563TSW so that I can carry it in a non-TSW 4566 holster. To do it, I would have the holes where the rail is attached to the dust cover drilled out. The holes would then be threaded, allowing use of hex head grub screws to fill the hole for cosmetic purposes and prevent dirt/etc. from getting into the recoil spring area. I would like to also have some sort of bolts made that would be inserted (with our without threading of the dust cover) from the inside. These would allow the flashlight rail, with newly countersunk holes for the securing nuts, to be secured to the weapon. OR, last version, remove rail and thread holes, fashion bolts that go from outside of rail, through rail to dust cover to allow re-intallment on as needed basis. My concerns are with the aluminum frame, would the alloy be able to take and hold threading? Is there enough clearance beteween the recoil spring and dust cover to allow for this if the screws are above flush fit? Any ideas or info on who might do this, or IF it is possible? Thank you.

[This message has been edited by Jhp147 (edited June 24, 2000).]
Old June 24, 2000, 09:15 PM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

JHP, the alloy will hold threads just about as good as steel. I wouldn't expect a problem in that area. I'd be willing to discuss it with you. But I'd want to make sure we were on the same page before doing the work. You can e-mail me if you like. George