The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old November 1, 2013, 10:29 PM   #101
Bezoar

i got a better one today. theres an online auction/pawnstore near my area that started selling guns. Guess what selling guns means in person?

a 20 year old benjamin sheridan bb pistol, two bayonets, and 3 crossman bb guns.
Old November 2, 2013, 10:00 AM   #102
g.willikers

These stories are very entertaining.
But discouraging at the same time.
Can you imagine what the world would be like if the ignorance displayed in gun stores, (from both sides of the counter), carried over to other things?
Old November 2, 2013, 11:31 AM   #103
LockedBreech

Share your dumbest gun store stories.

There have been a lot of silly arguments on gun forums, but H&K versus HK has got to be among the silliest. I'd bet my bank account both are used frequently inside the company itself day-to-day outside of press releases.

Last edited by LockedBreech; November 2, 2013 at 11:40 AM.
Old November 2, 2013, 12:20 PM   #104
ClydeFrog

Post 103...

Id bet you'd lose.
I'm sure day one employees see the HK coffee mugs & say; I guess HK is the abbreviation the company uses. Hmmm, I guess I'll say HK too then I'll fit in.

Clyde
PS; The same people who use H&K may also say; Heckler & Koch(Kotch) not the correct pronunciation; COKE.
Old November 2, 2013, 01:00 PM   #105
MattShlock

Interestingly, my BIL and I have never met, or placed orders with, an HK rep who DIDN"T say "H And K."
Old November 2, 2013, 01:57 PM   #106
LockedBreech

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClydeFrog View Post
Id bet you'd lose.
I'm sure day one employees see the HK coffee mugs & say; I guess HK is the abbreviation the company uses. Hmmm, I guess I'll say HK too then I'll fit in.

Clyde
PS; The same people who use H&K may also say; Heckler & Koch(Kotch) not the correct pronunciation; COKE.
I speak a little German, so I'm aware of that... I'm not sure I follow your logic that people who don't care about a small point of branding semantics might not properly pronounce German words.

It's an argument that's really not worth anyone getting too involved, so I'm going to bow out. Cheers!

To try and prevent this one getting derailed, I'll throw in a final genius gun story, a short one wherein I noted a Walther P99 in the gun case and praised it - I rather like Walther's Ulm-produced service arms and I think the P99 stands on equal footing with the Beretta 92, Sig 226, CZ-75, and other classic service pistols. The young clerk, around my age, nodded knowingly, pulled a P22, and raved over how the quality is so apparent.

The Umarex-produced P22.

He was being nice so I smiled, obliged him by oohing and aahing, and left.

Last edited by LockedBreech; November 2, 2013 at 02:10 PM.
Old November 2, 2013, 01:59 PM   #107
dogtown tom

Quote:
PS; The same people who use H&K may also say; Heckler & Koch(Kotch) not the correct pronunciation;
Former mayor of NYC (Ed Koch) pronounced it Kotch.

The correct pronounciation of Heckler & Koch is H&K anyway

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old November 2, 2013, 02:03 PM   #108
Darren007

Quote:
Id bet you'd lose.

Clyde
Old November 2, 2013, 02:04 PM   #109
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally posted by ClydeFrog:

Id bet you'd lose.

I'd take that bet. If you go to the H&K website and watch any of their videos, they refer to themselves as Heckler and Koch and also as H AND K. Maybe the marketing folks and the company executives that approved the videos didn't get a coffee mug.......

Quote:
Originally posted by g.willikers:

Can you imagine what the world would be like if the ignorance displayed in gun stores, (from both sides of the counter), carried over to other things?
...oh but it does. LockedBreech sums it up well.

Quote:
Originally posted by LockedBreech:

There have been a lot of silly arguments on gun forums, but H&K versus HK has got to be among the silliest.

Last edited by buck460XVR; November 2, 2013 at 03:10 PM.
Old November 3, 2013, 03:26 AM   #110
ljnowell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClydeFrog
Id bet you'd lose.
Go to the H&K website and watch their video on the hk416. At 2:20 they plainly call themselves H&K. So, I guess you are most definitely wrong.
Old November 3, 2013, 08:38 AM   #111
Uncle Buck

I see the foolishness mostly on the customer side of the counter. Maybe I do not expect the gun store employees to be up on every firearm available.

I do my research before I go to the store, or if I see a gun I like, I write down the info, go home, research it and then might go back.

I have had, and tried to avoid, the commandos on the customer side of the counter. I like revolvers. I prefer revolvers to any other type of handgun.

I have been told revolvers are not pistols, revolvers are not reliable and revolvers are no longer being made. (So you better buy the old ones, because they are going to be antiques and worth a lot of money some day!)

My favorite is the .45 Long Colt. I win the occasional bet when people tell me that you can not buy brass with the Long Colt headstamp. I have a piece of .45 Colt brass on my key ring that is headstamped .45 Long Colt.

But we have all heard that (Insert caliber here) is no good for deer hunting. My step father hunted deer with a .222, I have used a .243, 30-30 and a .30-06 to hunt with.

I was told that a .30-30 was too small to hunt deer with, you needed at least a .270.

Customers... Providing humor since mankind began selling stuff.
Old November 3, 2013, 08:55 AM   #112
LockedBreech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Buck View Post

But we have all heard that (Insert caliber here) is no good for deer hunting. My step father hunted deer with a .222, I have used a .243, 30-30 and a .30-06 to hunt with.

I was told that a .30-30 was too small to hunt deer with, you needed at least a .270.

Customers... Providing humor since mankind began selling stuff.
Boy, how true is that! My brother and dad are my family's main hunters, they kept us fed when we were poor and we're not now but they remain dead-eye shooters. My dad uses a .30-06 and my brother uses a .243, both exclusively. 700s with Leupold optics. They've taken moose, elk, deer, etc. My brother took an 800 pound elk just recently with the .243.

Certainly there are ideal minimums for average hunters, but a truly skilled shooter who needs to put meat on the table is a lot more flexible than a gun shop commando who uses .375 Ruger on a white-tail.
Old November 3, 2013, 06:37 PM   #113
Ozzieman

If we don’t stop the HK, H&K, heck un coke, heckler and cotch, hoot and & and & cookie argument I will stop this thread.
Go start your own thread on the importance/unimportance of HK, H&K, heck un coke, heckler and cotch, hoot and & and & cookie

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old November 3, 2013, 08:36 PM   #114
MattShlock

Four weeks ago I ordered a gun and accutrements if available from the wayward alcoholic of two sons of the founder of the LGS/camping/fishing store who was himself the black sheep of a regionaly famous department store family and went out on his own. Neither this drunk, nor any of the other gun salesmen, have called me back to say "they don't make it in that caliber, yet."

I saw a bunch of folk arguing about H&K, or not. By the way, it's not as in "Coke." It's German. I can't really write how it sounds -- it sounds sorta softly like you are about to spit something up and out from the back of your throat
Old November 3, 2013, 09:26 PM   #115
thedudeabides

I have a dumb gun store story every time I go out to buy 38 Super and get handed a box of 38 Special.

I don't like when a gun store clerk thinks he's an 1911 "expert" and tries to sell me a Kimber "series 70" or how the external extractor on a Sig is more reliable than an internal extractor on a Colt that has seen tens of thousands of rounds.

I hate overhearing a clerk trying to sell a gun to a CCW newbie based on round count.

I only have one, but I call it an HK (as in eich kayy). It even says so on the slide. "HK45."
Old November 4, 2013, 05:52 AM   #116
Ozzieman

if we don’t stop the HK, H&K, heck un coke, heckler and cotch, hoot and & and & cookie argument I will stop this thread.
Go start your own thread on the importance/unimportance of HK, H&K, heck un coke, heckler and cotch, hoot and & and & cookie

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old November 4, 2013, 10:06 AM   #117
Double Naught Spy

Recently, I have gotten into shopping for some alternative optics for seeing at night, including traditional NV, digital NV, and thermal, in the capacities of stand alone scopes and then front or rear mounted "clip-on" devices. In order to reduce the torque on your daylight scope, some of the front mounted clip-on devices are periscopic in order to get the weight of the device centered more closely to the scope and reduce torque. These generally increase/raise the optical bore axis anywhere from about 3/4-2+" over your daylight scope. Now the kicker...

I was at a product demo over the weekend where the rep noted that you could clip on the device without changing the zero. Once you actually get things setup, you can have it zero'd at the same distance as your daylight scope. This is the same argument I have heard made by a dealer of a thermal device at a gun show, one of the vendors on Youtube, and is made by at least one of the manufacturers. What is implied is that having the same zero means nothing changes when you clip-on the unit.

While it is a true statement that you can have the same zero, it is also absolutely misrepresentational. By raising the optical bore axis to try to zero at the same point, the bore axis of the clip-on scope is NOT the same as the daylight scope. So while the zero may be the same, none of the rest of the ballistic trajectory commonalities that you might expect to be the same, are.
Old November 4, 2013, 12:18 PM   #118
Evan Thomas

Quote:
if we don’t stop the HK, H&K, heck un coke, heckler and cotch, hoot and & and & cookie argument I will stop this thread.
Actually, no.

I will.
Old November 4, 2013, 12:27 PM   #119
g.willikers

Now I plumb forgot what were were supposed to be talking about, in the first place.
Old November 4, 2013, 01:24 PM   #120
spacemanspiff

Dumbest gun store story?
I was heading out for an afternoon at the range with my brother, stopped to pick up a case of 45acp from the shop that advertises themself as the 'copshop'. I think my ammo choice that day was blazer, the cheap stuff. Took the case up to the counter and the clerk starts writing out the receipt (yeah they still hand write every transaction) and he puts down the cost per box multipled by TEN boxes in the case.

That clerk seemed to forget there are 20 boxes in a case, not ten. My brother noticed it after we left, since I had told him ahead of time we were splitting the cost of the ammo and he should be ready to put in $100.
Old November 4, 2013, 04:35 PM   #121
Chaz88

About a year ago I walked into a large gun show looking for a Glock 34. I am not a big fan of Glock or particularly knowledgeable about them but it is one of the better options for what I was getting it for. I did not want to shop around the whole show for one so I walked up to the table that had nothing but Glocks, figuring it was my best option.

Told the guy what I wanted and he promptly and rudely informed me that no such thing existed. Told him I was fairly sure I just shot one the other day and could he please check if he could order me one. He even more rudely informed me that he would not waste his time talking to me about a gun that doesn't exist.

I walked a few tables down and asked another guy if he had one. He promptly picked one up and sold it to me. I considered showing it to the first guy on the way out but fortunately the older I get the less I feel the need to do that kind of thing.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old November 4, 2013, 05:02 PM   #122
ClydeFrog

Nickeled S&W model 28 .357magnum....

In 2004, I went to a mid size gun show in NW Florida near Pensacola.
I was looking for a mid size or L frame .38/.367magnum to carry on my security post. A gun dealer at a table had what looked like a used nickeled S&W Highway Patrolman .357 in decent shape.
When I asked the gun dealer/seller about the model 28 revolver he informed me it was; stainless steel .
He then took the price tag of the 6 shooter off & added $150.00!

I just laughed & walked off.
It's not worth having a heated argument with a guy standing next to a pile of guns.
Old November 4, 2013, 05:16 PM   #123
Chaz88

Quote:
A gun dealer at a table had what looked like a used nickeled S&W Highway Patrolman .357 in decent shape.
When I asked the gun dealer/seller about the model 28 revolver he informed me it was; stainless steel .
He then took the price tag of the 6 shooter off & added $150.00!
If it was a mod. 28 nickeled by the factory I could not have walked away without making sure. To my knowledge there were only a handful made. I am a big fan of the 28 and have only seen one in nickel, it had a five inch barrel and was not for sale at any price.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old November 4, 2013, 06:18 PM   #124
Ozzieman

Actually, no.

I will.

Actually I would have contacted one of the moderators and asked it be closed.
Thank you for the correction.
Sorry about that Vanya

Old November 5, 2013, 01:17 PM   #125
Evan Thomas

Ozzieman, what you wrote was fine. I should have been clearer that I wasn't criticizing you, just reinforcing what you said. My apologies.