The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old June 27, 2011, 07:53 PM   #1
noelf2

Polish P64s

Just ordered a couple P64's from aimsurplus. Heard they have the double action trigger pull from hell but how are they in single action? Anyone get wolff springs to reduce the trigger pull? Also heard they may need a heftier recoil spring for standard 9x18 mak loads. That true? Looks like a nice little conceal carry piece being so thin.
Old June 27, 2011, 08:53 PM   #2
Doyle

I'm on my 2nd (first was stolen). Great little guns. Accurate, easy to strip, small enough for pocket carry, and relatively cheap. By all means, get the Wolf springs. While you are at it, get the extra power recoil spring. The factory springs were made for a little weaker milspec round and the extra power spring (1 step up is sufficient) helps to tame the recoil a tad and keeps the slide from slapping the backstop so hard. Replacing both springs takes only a few minutes.

For the mainspring, you might have to experiment. The 18lb spring worked perfectly on my first gun. However, the 2nd gun was still to stiff in DA so I dropped down to the next weaker size (don't remember if it is 16lb or 17lb). Single-action trigger pull is great even with the stock spring.

There is a forum dedicated to P-64's . I actually belong to it but haven't been active for a while. I don't have the new URL handy because they changed servers and domain names since I was on.
Old June 28, 2011, 12:57 AM   #3
LarryNTX

I think this is the site with the information about changing the hammer spring that Doyle mentioned. I put the 18 pound spring on mine and it made a world of difference in the double action pull.
Recoil is a little sharp, but not nearly as bad as some people say.
When it comes to quality and price, I think the P64 is one of the best bargains on the market right now.

http://www.p64resource.com/fixes.php
Old June 28, 2011, 10:45 AM   #4
saands

The dedicated site will have all the info you need. Keep in mind that there can be unintended consequences when you change things in people's designs. The SA pull from the factory is already pretty good. Lightening up the DA pull will lighten up that already light SA pull ... possibly to the point where you could "bump fire" a double unintentionally. Also, the mainspring is what keeps the magazine in place (it cleverly does double duty) and if you are running spicy 9x18 loads, going too light on the mainspring will cause your mag to auto eject during firing. I have tried everything from 14# through 20# mainsprings and I currently recommend the 20# from Wolff ... the DA isn't quite as good as with the 18 or 17, but I've never seen a pistol get unreliable in any way with the 20, and I can't make the same claim with the 18 and lower. Some run fine with a 16, but some won't even work with the 18#.

On to the recoil spring. I looked at designing a better than factory recoil spring and what I concluded was that they designers stuffed into the pistol the strongest spring they could make with 1964 com-bloc metallurgy and still fit. It is undersprung and so the slide slaps the frame with every shot and that is why this little gem stings a little. I would buy both of the upgraded spring weights and if you can fit the heaviest one in your specimen, use it ... if it just won't go together with the heaviest one, then use the lighter one. My experience is that more than 50% will allow for the heaviest one ... all of mine have.

Hope this helps ...

Saands
Old June 28, 2011, 07:47 PM   #5
noelf2

Thanks much for the info. Wolff sells the hammer springs in a set of 18, 19, and 20 lb. I'll get that set. Cheap at only about 10 bucks for the three. I'm going to get a 20 and 22 lb recoil springs as well, just to be able to test them and see what works best. I plan to leave one of the guns as-is. Maybe re-sell later. I'm looking forward to getting them.
Old June 28, 2011, 08:22 PM   #6
Doyle

Good luck to you. Changing the mainspring isn't hard. Just read the instructions enough times that you have the steps down pat. Like I said earlier, you may have to experiment to see which combination of springs work best for you.
Old June 29, 2011, 07:25 AM   #7
Doyle

Two more things - both relating to the grips. This is VERY important. Don't ever overtighten the grip panel screw. You WILL crack the grips. DAMHIKT.

Add a drop of the non-permanent LocTite to the nut and screw the bult in just until it is firm.

The other is that if you want to pocket carry and you are right handed, search around to find one of the flat left side grip panels. Most imports come with the left side panel with a thumb rest. That's OK until you want to pocket carry in your right front pocket. The flat grip makes pocket carry more comfortable.
Old June 29, 2011, 08:28 AM   #8
bumnote

Quote:
Recoil is a little sharp, but not nearly as bad as some people say.
Not nearly as bad, I read somewhere someone comparing it to a 357 snub. Not even close, IMO the recoil is considerably lighter than my Beretta 70S in 380.

I put the 22lb recoil spring in and it's functioned perfectly with it. I ran a couple boxes thru it last weekend and not a single misfire or feed problem. I'm really impressed with the little gun, there are some design deficiencies for sure (uncomfortable grips is my biggest complaint) but all in all it's a lot of pistol for the money.
Old June 30, 2011, 11:27 AM   #9
noelf2

They were delivered today. The DA trigger pull is heavy but manageable for me. The SA trigger is PERFECT !!! Some say there's trigger creep but I find there's a very noticeable sweet spot where the trigger begins to trip the sear. At that point, it's nice and crisp. I think I will get the heavier recoil springs, but will live with the trigger pull as is.

Got these from AIM Surplus. Not hand pick, but they are still in very good condition with a little holster wear near the muzzle end of the slide. Pristine bores/rifling. All in all very happy.
Old June 30, 2011, 11:54 AM   #10
Doyle

Glad you like them. Most P-64s come in with lots of carry time and little (if any ) shooting time. The DA trigger pull does seem to become easier as it is broken in. You may have received a gun that has actually been shot enough to break in the trigger. Both of the ones I had almost required two hands to pull back the trigger.