The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 8, 2005, 09:29 PM   #1
cobra81

Ruger .204 question

I really like this little screamer for it's speed and accuracy, but have found it presents some reloading challenges....using Hornady neck-sizer and keep breaking the decapping pin. It's got to be small diameter to fit the tiny neck of the .204 case, and I think it is prone to breakage. I plan on just buying a universal decapping die and using it strictly for that purpose.

But my question is: Does anyone manufacture a case-length guide for trimming this case? I have a Lee cutter and lock-stud with assorted case-length guides for my other cartridges, but Lee claims they do not make a case-length guide for this caliber. I know there are other case-trimmers out there; without breaking the bank, (and I don't reload enough of this caliber to insist on a power tool) can anyone suggest a reliable case-trimming option?
Thanks.
Old September 9, 2005, 12:52 PM   #2
Coltdriver

Here is what I did.

By the way, I broke the damm decapping pin on mine too! Last time I buy Hornady dies ever. I have always used Redding in my short 18 months of reloading experience and never had an issue ever. I also have to lube the necks to keep the Hornady dies from stretching the neck back up!

I use the lee trimming tools, they are relatively cheap and easy to use.

Lee does not make a .204 yet, I don't know if they ever will.

So, I took a .223 tool and mounted it on my drill press. I sanded it until it would fit the .204. Then I very gingerly and with great patience over several tries sanded the pin until it met the lenght requirement. You are not taking much at all off the pin.

Works like a charm.

Here is my discovery on the cartridge sizing. The cases just don't stretch much at all. I am using a max load of H335 and there is no stretching after two reloads!
Old September 9, 2005, 01:51 PM   #3
cobra81

Thanks Coltdriver,
I think your .223 modification will be my course of action for a case length trimmer. I like the Lee cutter and lock stud because it works for me and it's cheap. Only reason I bought the Hornady die was because it was one of the few 204 neck-sizers I could find at the time.
Concur on the stretching....I'm on my 3rd reloading cycle for one batch of my .204 brass (Winchester) and stretching is minimal if any.
Like you, I'm using H335. I started out around 26.8 grains, and have bumped it up to 28 on the last ones I loaded. Haven't chrono'd this latest load yet to get an idea of how close to the factory velocity I'm getting, but if I remember correctly 26.8 grains of H335 with the 32 gr. Hornady bullet was averaging around 3850 fps. out of my Savage 12FV. I'm trying to remember what Lyman's lists max. load as for the H335....I think somewhere around 32 grs.? Have you chrono'd your load?
Good to find another .204 shooter to compare notes with.....I love the accuracy and speed ofthis caliber. I've got my rifled zeroed at 200 yds. The rifle is so accurate it makes even an average shooter look good!
Oh, one other thing, I've noticed I was bulging occasional cases when seating Hornady 32 gr. ballistic tip bullets (they have a flat base), so I bought a universal case-mouth expander and use it to ever so slightly open up the case neck before seating. Problem solved.
Old September 9, 2005, 04:03 PM   #4
Coltdriver

Go check out www.204ruger.com

There are a number of people over there who have come up with home made 4200 fps loads.

I found 29 grains of H335 to be the absolute limit and I still am not getting the same ballistics as the factory loads with the 32 grain bullets. I have not chronographed the round but the ballistics tell me I am under the factory ammo fps number.

It is sure fun to shoot something that behaves like a laser beam ain't it?

I zeroed mine and actually hit shotgun shells on purpose, over and over, at 300 yards with it using the factory ammo. I have a 204 barrel on an Encore frame.

I just bevel the inside edge of the case ever so slightly to prevent the bent brass problem.

If you write hornady and tell em your decapper pin broke they will send you a replacement for free. I took that opportunity to order three more so I would have a good supply. For what I now have in Hornady dies and pins I could have got the redding three die set.
Old September 16, 2005, 06:20 PM   #5
Ifishsum

I had Lee make me one for the .204, it cost me $15 I think. Problem is, it is thin enough to work its way down between the cutter teeth while in use and trimming to short. I bought another cutter and locktited the .204 mandrel in.
Old July 16, 2006, 10:56 AM   #6
arizona hunter

Factory vs. reload velocity .204

Hi Coltdriver,
In the American Rifleman I read that that Hornady is using a spherical powder that is NOT available to the reloader. That is why they get 3900 (40 gr) and 4200 (32 gr. bullet) in factory loads.

I just got a Howa 1500 Varminter and am today putting a scope on it, and then will do a few reloads. My friend gave me some H335, BLC2 & W748. Even if I "only" get 3700 fps with the 40 gr. V-Max, that is still one long range zinger!
Old July 17, 2006, 04:03 PM   #7
arthurrh

Well I don't have the .204 but I do have a .20 caliber (5/35 SMc) rifle, I haven't broken any decapping pins on mine, I have the Lee dies. I've sized about 1500 rounds I'd say. Maybe your caseholder is sliding around on you, or maybe the decapping pin isn't tight.

Re trimming, I have a Hornady trimmer and they sell the .20 collet separately, but it seems to work just fine. Grace is making me a trimmer bushing that will be even easier to use.
Old July 17, 2006, 07:00 PM   #8
kirbymagnum

Quote:
That is why they get 3900 (40 gr) and 4200 (32 gr. bullet) in factory loads
I haven't chroned the 40 grain bullets but i have chroned the Hornady 32 grain bullets and they chroned at 4046. The rifle that was used is a Remington VSSF II which has a 26" barrel and is the same barrel length as Hornady advertise those velocities with.

Here is another site with some people who have achieved factory velocities and some people even beat the factory stated velocity. http://www.reloadersnest.com/frontpa...?CaliberID=357
Old July 1, 2007, 11:20 PM   #9
chrisgelowitz

Modify 223 gauge to fit 204

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the .223 a shorter case length than the 204 ruger? How can trimming the pin on a Lee 223 case length gauge make it fit the 204? Wouldn't it get shorter instead of longer?

Also, is it ok to reload the 204 cases if they are 1.845 instead of 1.840? My once-fired Hornady brass is coming out to about that length. Or can I just deburr and chamfer it at that length?
Old July 2, 2007, 10:23 AM   #10
brselman

Neck sizing the 204

I shoot a lot of 204. I love the cartridge. IMHO the Lee Neck Sizing Collet die creates the least amount of stress on the brass and allows you to reload it many more times than any of the competing neck sizing dies. I have never broken a decapping pin after reloading many hundreds of rounds.
Old July 2, 2007, 11:57 AM   #11
snuffy

Notice the OP was nearly two years ago?

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old July 2, 2007, 04:43 PM   #12
brselman

Snuffy, so what? The issues that were germain two years ago are germain today. The world of firearms simply does not (r)evolve that rapidly.
Old July 5, 2007, 12:40 PM   #13
Ifishsum

To answer chrisgelowitz's questions, 1.845 should be okay to load. When they hit 1.850 you need to trim back to 1.840.

That said, I always trim after the first firing because I don't want to take the time to chamfer, then trim after the next firing and have to chamfer them again. It saves time in the long run because most of my Hornady once-fired cases needed trimmed after the first reload.