The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 17, 2007, 02:33 PM   #1
zoprednax

Lee Load-Master

I'm thinking of buying a Lee Load-Master to reload .223. I was wondering if anyone can tell me how accurate and consistant the powder measure is. I would have no problem going with a single stage and measuring each load, as I won't be loading hundreds at a time. I just don't want to be reloading all day instead of shooting.
Old June 19, 2007, 02:03 AM   #2
Mr Beta

Well, first off, this should probably be in the Reloading section. I don't care but the mods might.
The powder measure is pretty consistent. As long as you aren't target shooting and going for one hole groups, it will do fine. I don't have specific +/-grain measurements but it's close.
If you're a casual shooter and plinker it'll do nicely. A progressive will generally pump out rounds a little faster than a single stage, but you'll be a little more accurate with the single stage.
If you're a new loader, most will suggest you start with a single stage press.
Old July 3, 2007, 08:50 AM   #3
Sigma 40 Blaster

The powder measure with that press is consistent but not always 100% accurate per the tables provided with it. Ball powder meters best, flake is close, and I haven't tried extruded powders with it yet.

I don't know what type of powder you'll be using but with the Lee disk feeders a rule of thumb is that the larger the amount of powder the more consistent it will be.

I loaded .380 with Unique...I had some very light loads using 3.7 grains due to the small cavity size in the disk and large flake powder. My .40 on the other hand uses 5.5 gr of the same powder and it's very consistent.

My only advice is to make sure your bench is level and very stable, that'll give you the best consistency with the Lee powder measure. Follow the Lee's directions for whatever powder you select, throw about 20 charges and measure on a scale to verify accuracy and consistency of the load. It's a pain but you basically only have to do it once, record your findings, adjust as necessary and you should be good to go.
Old July 3, 2007, 01:10 PM   #4
GeneG

Lee Load Master

I had one several years ago and it would not turn out consistent ammo. Why I do not know why, but Lee refunded my money. Perhaps the Load Master is better now.
I eventually was given a Lee Pro 1000 by a friend and it works fine. I only load pistol ammo.
For a beginner loading less than 200 rounds per evening I recommend the Lee Classic 4 hole turret press.
Gene
Old July 3, 2007, 11:33 PM   #5
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

We'll put it in the Reloading section but leave a redirect here. That should satisfy everyone.
Old July 4, 2007, 12:37 AM   #6
fourrobert13

I had a Loadmaster. It worked awsome for an hour, and then it was down hill from there. The priming system on it is very sensitive, and if not set correctly, it will cause you nothing but headaches and money. I sold it after having it 2 weeks and got the Pro 1000. Basically both presses have the same features except that you have more stations on the Loadmaster which gives you a spot to put the factory crimp die. I load 3 different calibers on my Pro 1000, 9mm, 45 acp, and 223. The 223 is semi-progressive, I decap/resize, and trim on a single stage press and then the rest is done on the progressive. The Pro Auto Disk meters powder well for me, within +/- .2 gr with the powders I use. If you are going for accuracy, I would stick with a single stage. I still do all steps on a single stage for my bolt guns to get maximum accuracy out of them, but that's me.
Old July 4, 2007, 07:01 AM   #7
rwilson452

the lee powder measures don't do well with small charges of flake powders. I haven't seen a powder measure that does do small charges of flake powder. the measures are very accurate with ball powders. For the .223 your chages should be large enough and you will likely be using either ball or extruded powders anyway. I have yet to use my LoadMaster to load .223 as I'm new to loading .223 and still in the load development phase. for that I use my Lee classic cast press. If you just getting started in reloading and are going for the most accurate loads in .223 I would suggest the turret press and trickle charge each load. the .223 can be very picky about charge weight. IF you want to just make plinking ammo you can get the Lee perfect powder measure and a universal charging die to speed things up. get the 4 hole model you will be glad you did. Remember to full length resize you must lube your cases. If your shooting a semiauto full length resizing is reccomended. The LoadMaster and other true progressive are really made to turn out really large amounts of ammo quickly. like up to 500 rounds/hr. The turret press is a compromise between speed and accuracy.