The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old January 3, 2001, 10:24 PM   #1
Ggav

I really need some help on choosing a new rifle. I don't know too much on reloading and ballistics but I do know some. I am looking for a long range rifle and the choices are; 7mm STW, 7 mm ultra mag, .300 ultra mag. I pretty much know what the stw and .300 um can do with different bullets, but need to know about the 7mm um and the recoil on the .300 um and stw. I would like to use a 180 grain bullet. So far I like the .300 um for flatness of shooting, distance, and power but am afraid of the kick. Just how bad is the kick and how does the 7mm um perform in a 180m grain bullet.
Any help is appreciated!
Thanks,
Greg
Old January 4, 2001, 12:08 AM   #2
Zorro

Quote:
but am afraid of the kick.
UHHHHH before you go Magnum Force you might want to master a .270 Winchester, .308 or 30-06 first!

Then a 7MM Remington or .300 Winchester Magnum.

THEN maybe go for a small bore Ultra mag!

Just a recomendation.
Old January 4, 2001, 01:04 AM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

At age 16, I was right at six feet tall and weighed at least 135 pounds. My uncle gave me my first centerfire rifle--a Model 1917 in .30-'06. He approved of my removing the handguard and cutting the stock back to "civilian length".

That steel butt plate "like to beat me to death"! I grumped about it and got a sour look from him: "That gun doesn't kick! That's all in your head, and you'd do better to get it out."

Thoroughly psyched out by the Guru, I took it for granted that the gun didn't kick. That's been a big help, ever since. But at least I got to 175 or so before I got back into regular benchrest with an '06...

Anyway, how about a little more info about what you intend to do with your "long range rifle"? It's possible there are other options...

FWIW, Art
Old January 4, 2001, 05:43 AM   #4
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Moving to "Art of the Rifle"..
Closed Thread