The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 18, 2011, 05:51 PM   #1
.300 Weatherby Mag

TheKlawMan shoots SKEET!!!

Once again I met TheKlawMan at the range... It was fun to have you come up the line and take a shot at my one of my favorite clay games, skeet... He got to see me blow a straight on high 8 too ... Also, I had fun taking a crack at Trap... He beat me pretty bad at the 16 yard line... I must shoot trap more often, as my performance today was substandard... Glad we got to meet up and have some fun today..

Last edited by .300 Weatherby Mag; October 18, 2011 at 06:04 PM.
Old October 18, 2011, 06:05 PM   #2
oneounceload

You two boys need to slide down to at least a 5-stand, if not a sporting clays course.......try something where there is an element of challenge.......
(Zippy and Jim excluded)
Old October 18, 2011, 07:38 PM   #3
TheKlawMan

The skeet was really fun, even if I did poorly. I tried two games with the my 870 Express and one with his 682 Gold Eagle. I don't think I ever hit a pair but what was funny was when I missed the first and hit the second of the doble. What was funnier for Weatherby and the squad was watching me forgetting to rack the second. We were only horsing around on the trap field for a round during which we traded off shooting his Wingmaster and 682.

Until today I really didn't appreciate the differences in Trap and Skeet. They really are different and not just a few nuances. As some of you may have guessed, I can be a joker and Skeet can lend itself to being more sociable thatn trap.

Poor Weatherby was crushed when he missed that one on his way to his first straight 25. I didn't get what was going on, since I didn't realize he had killed all the targets until then. He really is a good shot and I doubt if I beat him in Trap.
Old October 18, 2011, 09:56 PM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Glad to see this. More folks should try all the games and maybe make up new ones.
Old October 18, 2011, 10:24 PM   #5
.300 Weatherby Mag

Quote:
You two boys need to slide down to at least a 5-stand, if not a sporting clays course.......try something where there is an element of challenge.......
(Zippy and Jim excluded)
Not a fan of 5-stand... I would rather shoot on a legitimate sporting clays course than do a bootleg version on a glorified skeet field... On a good day I'm a terror at sporting clays..
Old October 19, 2011, 09:55 AM   #6
Hardcase

I'll bet that I speak for many, many people when I say that 5 Stand gives me the willies!
Old October 19, 2011, 10:05 AM   #7
oneounceload

Our 5-stand is not built on a skeet field - we utilize 12 machines, including a wobble that is above and behind the stands - can make for some fun doubles when it comes out going low -

We also have a FITASC parcour set up in the next field - reading those will get in you good shape for most sporting targets

They're ALL good!
Old October 19, 2011, 10:41 AM   #8
zippy13

Skeet, because of the way it's shot, is probable the best game for new shooters. Where else do you have 4 other guys looking over your shoulder? On the trap squad it's every man for himself unless you've got a coach behind you. You can learn a lot when shooting on a Skeet squad with experienced shooters. Of course, there's always the curse of the blind leading the blind -- enthusiastic newbies (there are many) are apt to pass on bogus info.
Old October 19, 2011, 10:46 AM   #9
RoscoeC

I am a fair hand on sporting clays, but 5 stand just whips the crap out of me. Don't know why, but I just seem to get all befuddled. We have been doing a game we made up ourselves where the first shooter calls the shot. It can be from anywhere on the skeet range, and it can be high or low house first, but all shots are doubles. Lots of fun. However, the last time out one of the range guys came up and told us we couldn't shoot unless we were standing on the concrete pads. It is still fun, but not as much. Trap, I just plain don't find very enjoyable. That's what makes the world go 'round. Some guys like to play pinochle, some guys like to shoot guns.
NRA Life Member
Old October 19, 2011, 10:53 AM   #10
TheKlawMan

Fortunately, besides being a lot of fun, Weatherby and his gang were anything but blind newbies. They were also smart enough not to overload me with too much information. It also helped, that I could peek over their shouders. As for trap, I am barely ablt to pay any attention to the rest of the squad other than listening for their reports, preparing to shoot in rythym, and giving attention to what I need to focus on for my next shot. (Which may be focusing on not focusing but loosening up.)

To give you an idea of the experience of the guys Weatherby and I shot with, one shot a sxs and the other a model 12 (I believe) with a polychoke. Weathery is also no slouch and besides hitting them good (just missing his first 25/25) with the 682, he shot another round well with a Wingmaster.

Last edited by TheKlawMan; October 19, 2011 at 11:16 AM.
Old October 19, 2011, 04:03 PM   #11
BigJimP

Everybody knows the "Stallions" shoot Skeet ...or at least Zippy and I know that ...

All of the clay target games are fun ....and I have the luxury of belonging to a club that has 7 skeet / Trap combo fields...and a 20 machine 5 stand ...and a 35 machine - 13 station sporting clays course ...all permanently set up and operating.

Yesterday - the clubs 5 Stand was operating / and the sporting clays was operating ...and on the 7 skeet and Trap fields....one was set as "wobble skeet", one was set for Continental Trap, two were set for Skeet, 1 was idle and 2 were set for Trap singles...( so plenty of games for everyone ...)...but the cool guys were shooting Skeet !!...and while my 95 wasn't spectacular ...its at least acceptable.

I feel your pain weatherby -losing the 25 on station 8 ...( and don't feel bad - it'll come ...) I shot three 24's yesterday ...missed a high on 2 / missed a high on 6 and a really bad and ugly miss on a high 7 ...(that one hurt) ...and a 23 ..to make up my 95 for the day. And I was shooting a 12ga - so no excuses.../ just the way it goes.
Old October 19, 2011, 06:58 PM   #12
zippy13

Don't feel bad about missing low-8. I had two team mates who lost uncounted NSSA 100-straights to the 100th target (a low-8).

I've been lucky and haven't had the Station-8 monkey on my back. Skeet's Station-8 shots are unique and they're almost trick shots. Once you've learned the tricks, and how to adjust to changing conditions, they become gimmies so long as you continue to respect them.
Old October 19, 2011, 07:06 PM   #13
M4BGRINGO

I am jealous BigJimP. VERY JEALOUS!

Do you live out west?

Nowhere around this area like that, I need to move!

I'd bring two cases of shells and spend the entire day there.
Old October 19, 2011, 08:25 PM   #14
oneounceload

Quote:
Everybody knows the "Stallions" shoot Skeet ...or at least Zippy and I know that
Was that stallion..........or gelding?.......

Just kidding, my friend

Therein lies the difference - a 95 at skeet is considered a crappy score, whereas a 95 in sporting would have you taking high-overall at most tournaments

Depends on what you like - skeet and trap targets are fairly constant and consistent everywhere (like a football field or tennis court), while 5-stand, sporting and FITASC have each course being unique unto itself (like golf)

For me, the challenge of trying to figure out what the target setter is doing is part of the fun
Old October 19, 2011, 09:37 PM   #15
TheKlawMan

Quote:
Don't feel bad about missing low-8. I had two team mates who lost uncounted NSSA 100-straights to the 100th target (a low-8).

I've been lucky and haven't had the Station-8 monkey on my back. Skeet's Station-8 shots are unique and they're almost trick shots. Once you've learned the tricks, and how to adjust to changing conditions, they become gimmies so long as you continue to respect them.
I wondered what was the big deal on that one, until trying to shoot it yesterday, which is when I also realized why most everyone doesn't want anything longer than a 30 barrel for Skeet. That mother comes out fast.
Old October 20, 2011, 12:30 PM   #16
.300 Weatherby Mag

Quote:
You can learn a lot when shooting on a Skeet squad with experienced shooters. Of course, there's always the curse of the blind leading the blind -- enthusiastic newbies (there are many) are apt to pass on bogus info.
My father was an NSSA "A" shooter years ago, the other guy is a retired marine who can shoot well... I don't think I said much the first skeet round as I was so focused on my own shooting... The second round I believe I just made some minor suggestions in regard to body and gun starting positions on some of the stations..
Old October 20, 2011, 12:43 PM   #17
BigJimP

the klawman is like a sponge ...he's picking up a lot ...but he's leaking a little too ..../ but as long as noone steps on him - he'll make it ...

but like all Trap shooters...he's coming around to the idea that Skeet has something to offer ...( and its more fun ) ...

whether I'm a gelding or not ...( oneounce is kinda mean ..) sniff, sniff.../ I'm still a legend in my own mind...

If klawman has a chance I think he needs to keep shooting more guns...and more games...some continental trap, some 5 stand, some sporting ...and more Skeet ...as he makes his final decision on a new gun ( but trying to convince him to pry loose with a few thousand dollars ...has been at least a serious part time heavy lift ???...and my hemmeroids are starting to bleed a little ...) ....but we can't give up on him now...he's almost there ..he's asking about the subtle differences between Citori XS Skeet and XS special ...!!

Keep pushing him weatherby .../ I know he appreciates it !
Old October 20, 2011, 01:54 PM   #18
TheKlawMan

Bleeding rhoids! Now who is leaking? I have to stop laughing. Still, you know how hard it is to get me to spend a lousy $20 for an inexpensive choke for the 870. I think it will be easier to drop a hundred times that on a new gun.
Old October 20, 2011, 02:01 PM   #19
TheKlawMan

I wasn't going to indicate that the other guys were Weatherby's dad and a buddy of his, until W did. I didn't pick up on the other guy being a retired jarhead. I can call him that because I was one, but only for four.

When it comes to being sociable and having fun, Skeet can be a lot more fun. I found Weatherby & Co. not only loosened me up but I think it helped my shooting.
Old October 21, 2011, 01:04 AM   #20
.300 Weatherby Mag

I had fun shooting with you... At least now I have a witness that can confirm that I can shoot a pump and even shoot doubles with one... I think BigJim would have liked the Browning SxS my father was wielding
Old October 21, 2011, 02:38 AM   #21
TheKlawMan

You definitely shot your Wingmaster well, even if you shot the 682 better. I remember you hitting both singles and smoking the double on at least one station late in the day. I know nothing about a SxS, but I found curious how short your Dad's browning looked and he sure made it sing. I wish I had a picture of you after you missed that one for a straight 25.
Old October 21, 2011, 11:45 AM   #22
BigJimP

I do like the look of the Browning BSS ( SxS's ) ...and I've been tempted a few times to pick one up ...but I'd have to have it restocked...since the LOP on most of them I've seen is around 14" and they have a lot of drop at the comb and the heel...and they might look really lame with a parallel comb...

But one of these days I'll pick one up ...just for the heck of it. But it does require some talent to shoot it well ...since the sight picture is so different from an O/U. But its always a pleasure to watch someone shoot one well....