The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 1, 2009, 06:22 PM   #1
Domino

Uberti '73 action job cost?

I'm thinking of getting an action job done on my Uberti 73 Cattleman just to slick it up a bit. Could anyone give me a general idea of a ballpark figure this should cost me? The gunsmith I used to go to and trusted is gone and just want to make sure I don't get taken. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.
Old July 1, 2009, 09:20 PM   #2
mykeal

Minimum of $60, maximum of about $100 (which would be outrageous, imo).
Old July 1, 2009, 10:16 PM   #3
bobn

hm depends on what you want done. some of the guys are getting short stroke kits, replacing the brass lifter with a alum for faster yet action, etc. 60 bucks doesnt even buy a tank of gas, pay a light bill etc. hardly buys decent dinner. forget about other related buisness costs. of course everything is based on opinion or regional differences. bobn
Old July 1, 2009, 11:37 PM   #4
Hawg

Bobn, he said Uberti 73 Cattleman. Revolver, not rifle.
Old July 2, 2009, 07:38 AM   #5
bobn

hm, thanks for setting me correct. in that case mykeal is right on the money! good to be humble. bobn
Old July 2, 2009, 10:22 AM   #6
CraigC

I've paid between $100 and $125 for professional action jobs on single actions. Most custom gunsmiths fall right in there. Some up to $175. Some also install internal stops and reharden the affected parts, some just smooth them out. Price depends on what you're getting. I tend to swap springs and do my own stoning with great results but New Model Rugers require a gunsmith's hand to reduce creep to an acceptable level. Some replicas can benefit from the installation of better, domestic parts.