The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old December 24, 2006, 10:24 PM   #101
MASTERSMITH86

You are going to notice 3 lbs. on your trigger. I like my factory weights and I have a couple 3.5lb triggers on a few of my Glocks. If I was going to put a different spring in then I would pick the N.Y. 2 because if i was going to have a stiff trigger pull then I would want a real revolver feel so I would go with NY2. I'm sure you know this but, thats why the trigger springs were designed. To aid in the transition of some officers from revolvers to semi's.The NY2, to me, feels more like the trigger pull on a STOCK S&W65-whatever, or any S&W for that matter. The NY1 just breaks differently than a revolver but, still differently than stock. I actually believe, and this is based on my own assumption, that this is why the NY2 was even developed. Because the NY1 didn't reallyfeel like a revolver.
"You can build a car with no glass, powered by pedals, have twenty airbags, and wrap it in 3 feet of bubble wrap but, if the guy driving it puts it over a cliff, he is still an idiot who forgot to put a parachute on his stupid car."
" A Glock in your hand is a safer bet than a cop on the phone."
Old December 24, 2006, 10:33 PM   #102
DonR101395

I agree with Mastersmith and the NY1. I've got one on my G17 and the stock 5.5 on all of my others. I haven't gotten around to changing it out, but I can say I don't care for it. It's heavier than my other Glocks, but not as heavy as any of my revolvers. It just feels strange and not something I'm willing to train myself to use.
Old December 24, 2006, 10:33 PM   #103
MASTERSMITH86

I wanted to add before somebody misconstrued my statement about the NY1 trigger spring. It does serve it's purpose well and I'll even go as far as to say it feels like it breaks cleaner than the NY2. However, I am saying that if i was going to install these springs, I would choose the one that best performs what it was designed to do and the NY2 feels more like a revolver and the NY trigger springs were designed to feel like one. The NY1 is harder than stock and you'll know it too!But, you really need to just try them both and see what you like. I hope I am being clear as to what I mean. If I'm not please let me know so I may have a chance to elaborate further.
"You can build a car with no glass, powered by pedals, have twenty airbags, and wrap it in 3 feet of bubble wrap but, if the guy driving it puts it over a cliff, he is still an idiot who forgot to put a parachute on his stupid car."
" A Glock in your hand is a safer bet than a cop on the phone."
Old December 25, 2006, 12:37 AM   #104
jaysouth

Quote:
Does the no safety thing put anyone else off buying a glock ?

Help me out. I am looking at a couple of Sig P series laying on the desk in front of me.

Where is the safety thingy on Sigs?
Old December 25, 2006, 03:03 AM   #105
NWCP

I prefer the HK P7M8 squeeze cocker set up to the Glock trigger safety. Not only is the P7M8 a safe weapon, it's very accurate and easy to conceal. The primary reason I don't shoot Glocks however isn't the lack of an external safety, it's the grip angle and size. They just don't work for me.
Old December 25, 2006, 07:47 PM   #106
CajunBass

Quote:
Not really. I just never wanted a Glock. That might change for all I know.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old December 25, 2006, 07:54 PM   #107
Pappy John

Quote:
Yep.....and I'm scared to death of DA revolvers for the same reason. Eek, eek!!
Old December 26, 2006, 12:06 AM   #108
wheel

If one assumes lack of an external safety makes Glocks unsafe, then one has to also conclude that all revolvers are unsafe as well.

However, the safety record of revolvers is quite good. LEO's have been carrying them longer than any other type of handgun. They only go off when you pull the trigger (at least modern DA models with hammer block or transfer bar etc). Therefore the initial assumption is invalid.

Lack of an external safety does NOT make a gun unsafe. You can argue that a Glock is not as safe in all situations as a gun with an external safety, but that doesn't mean that it's unsafe. It's a relative thing, not absolute.

One thing for sure, if you keep your finger out of the trigger guard a Glock will not fire. Do that and it's at least as safe as anything else, if not safer.

Gun control is not the answer. Gun control is the question. The answer is NO.
Old December 26, 2006, 10:19 AM   #109
Hard Ball

Glock does make pistols with manual safties. They just wont sell them in the USA.
Old December 26, 2006, 11:00 AM   #110
OBIWAN

Quote:

It did..when I was young......but I am much ...much....better now!
Old December 26, 2006, 02:09 PM   #111
tango3065

I installed the NY1 spring today (olive) and I am quite pleased with and I don’t think I will even try the NY2 spring. I shot it today and accuracy is outstanding, the NY1 spring didn’t hurt a thing. BTW this is the first Glock I have taken apart and must say I now know why everyone says Glocks are so simple and well engineered
Old December 26, 2006, 04:20 PM   #112
Amendtwo

I was turned off by the lack of an external manual safety (and their looks) for quite a while. But after hearing so much about Glock reliability, when a used M 23 (with night sights) showed up in my local dealer's display case, I had to give it a try. While we are still getting acquainted, it seems that the only thing keeping me from carrying it is my not finding a suitable holster. I believe a good holster, and paying close attention to gun-handling details, will prevent any unplanned discharges.
Old May 12, 2015, 10:53 AM   #113
Egbert_O_Foo

Not a troll ... what's with Glock denial ?

I hate that this is bumping an old thread. It appears that "the powers" on this forum closed a relevant thread from yesterday, "Why Officers Shouldn't Carry Glocks".

It's a ticklish subject. I have a nephew who got one as a graduation present. People swear by them. They are nice firearms.

I also have friends with two small girls that I love dearly who were 10 feet away from the bullet hole in a slide made by this weapon. The incident might likely have been avoided if the weapon had a safety.

www.newstalkkzrg.com/pages/21497075.php
Old May 12, 2015, 12:41 PM   #114
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I hate that this is bumping an old thread. It appears that "the powers" on this forum closed a relevant thread from yesterday, "Why Officers Shouldn't Carry Glocks".
So, why did you? The "powers that be" prefer you to start a new thread, rather than bring back one that is YEARS old. Old threads are kept, for reference, some information is timeless.

On the other hand, old threads contain lots of information and comments that are drastically out of date, and many of the posters are long gone.

FYI, "the powers" closed that thread, because after 7 pages of bickering, and despite some people honest intentions to be helpful and informative, it had devolved into Glock love on one side and GLock hate on the other, which provides nothing useful to anyone.

This one is closed, because the dead should be left in peace. Start a new thread, and see if it can remain objective. Good Luck.