The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 10, 2013, 08:58 PM   #1
cast and shoot

Hi Standard handguns, still known for quality?

I was wondering if any of you had any information you can share about HI Standard. I was looking at there website and seen that they are still making the duramatic. My father has an older duramatic which i grew up shooting and ive always wanted one of my own. i have been searching for an original one but have yet to find the right "deal" for me. Are the ones being made now worth a look? Anyone had any experiences with the "new" company? ( based out of houston i think?) thanks for any advice!
Old February 11, 2013, 02:57 PM   #2
P5 Guy

www.rimfirecentral.com
Has a High Standard topic and from what I have read the President of the company also post in that topic.
A vastly improved product is now coming from Texas.
And welcome to the board!
Old February 11, 2013, 03:06 PM   #3
cast and shoot

thanks for the info! i was looking for a good place to exchange advice, and share experiences and this seems to be a great place for it
Old February 11, 2013, 07:23 PM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

The "new" High Standard claims to be a continuation of some kind of the original, but that's dubious. At least some of their firearms are made for them by off-shore manufacturers. Factory support is reported to be poor.

I would suggest avoiding them, but I acknowledge that I am biased. I have a friend who was defrauded by them so I want nothing to do with them.
Old February 11, 2013, 09:01 PM   #5
mikejonestkd

In my limited experience with them, they are not up to the quality, or accuracy of the original guns. I don't know of anyone that uses a Houston gun for target matches, but I know plenty of people ( myself included ) that still use Hamden or E Hartford models.

If I had to buy new, I'd get another Smith 41 before I'd get a Houston made HS.
Old February 12, 2013, 11:07 PM   #6
cast and shoot

i have heard a few others echo your sentiment Aguila. I've heard far more negative things about there customer service then the guns themselves. I guess ill keep hunting for an original. It's a shame they the new owners dont want to continue on the reputation that HI Standard is known for.
Old February 14, 2013, 10:51 AM   #7
car

There was a lot of handwork involved in making the old Hi-Standard pistols, I doubt if one could replicate that today and keep the price reasonable.

The newer pistols should be considered a base starting point and then get a competent gunsmith to sort it out for you. A well sorted out Hi-Standard target pistol is tough to beat.

Hi-Standard at one time offered a factory service where a well experienced gunsmith would tune the pistol for the customer before delivery at extra cost. I don't know if that service is still available, but if it is, I would take advantage of it.

I have an old Hi-Standard Victor, and in my 35 years of shooting, I still have yet to shoot an .22 pistol that is better.

Last edited by car; February 14, 2013 at 11:01 AM.
Old February 14, 2013, 11:05 AM   #8
Wyosmith

If they are smart they will make new springs for all the old pistols.

As a gunsmith, I have one criticism of the old HS pistols. They were "under sprung".
They work very well until the springs get week, and they all do. The spring is small enough and fits over a guide that limits the size of the inside diameter of the spring. The outside diameter can't be larger because it has to fin in its hole, and the length is such that at full compression, the coils of the spring all touch, so you can't make one longer either.
The only answer is a new spring every so often. Not a big deal in that they were cheap and easy to change....until they stopped making them.

Now days you can sometimes get a used replacement, but they are all used up too. I have had 3 come through my shop in the last 3 years, and I was not able to get them to work with any spring I could buy. I can make a mandrel and wind my own, but the tools have to be made, and wire has to be bought (and the manufacturers won't sell it to you in a roll of less than 1000 feet) and then the springs have to be heat treated. All in all, such a spring would be VERY costly. With the price of 1000 feet of wire and the cost of the tools to be made, I can’t justify doing it for one or 2 guns a year.

The new “High Standard” would do well to provide the springs again, but to be honest, they would be even better off making the spring hole larger and making a stronger spring in the new guns so this problem won’t exist in the new guns. They have a big battle in front of them if they want to compete with Ruger.
Old February 16, 2013, 01:38 PM   #9
bluetopper

Wolff Springs do not make the spring you are refering to?

Are you talking about the recoil spring?

Monitor gunbroker for deals on an old Connecticut made High Standard.
Old February 17, 2013, 12:22 PM   #10
Wyosmith

If they do I am unaware of it.
I should call them on Monday and ask.

Tags
hi standard