The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 7, 2006, 08:15 PM   #1
308Enfield

Building a Flintlock Rifle

I'm planning to build a flintlock rifle from a kit as a project this summer and am looking for any experiences or advice that people have on doing it. I've shot percussion muzzleloaders, but the flintlock will be something new and a little bit different. I've found a Traditions Kentucky rifle kit in .50 caliber for $225, which is the best price I've seen on one so far, but if anybody knows of a better deal I'd love to hear about it. Thanks in advance for any advice, I'm looking forward to having a good project for the next couple of months.
Old May 10, 2006, 07:09 PM   #2
lonewolf5348

Flintlock Kit

I have 2 flinters both early guns from the 70's t/c Renegade 54 flinter ,which was a kit gun,the other is a 50 cal hawkens flinter both are tack driver using RB's and 3f goex black powder.I myself would save a little more and go with a LYMAN FLINTER I would say they have better locks compared to traditions and when it comes to a flinter you need a lock that will work.I also would say an excellent choice flints are 3/4 black english flints
try MIDSOUTH thy have some good prices on there m/l also lyman had a couple of closeout on there deerstalker in flint on there web page I will see if I can post there web page for you
Old May 10, 2006, 07:10 PM   #3
lonewolf5348

Reconditions M/l From Lyman

http://www.lymanproducts.com/store/page191.html
Old May 10, 2006, 07:13 PM   #4
lonewolf5348

Renegade Flinter 54 Cal

HERE A KIT GUN I DID BACK A FEW YEARS AGO
Old December 12, 2007, 05:08 PM   #5
Hunsfoot

Powder Horns

Custom, scrimshaw powder horns available in my new shop! Own a piece of history

http://www.raschefflerhorns.com

Old December 21, 2007, 09:03 PM   #6
sewerman

there's several suppliers that sell parts kits and kits with inletted stocks:

track of the wolf, everything!

the sitting fox, kits & finished guns

dunlap wood products; makes stocks but also sells kits.

muzzle loaders buliders supply, kits,tools & parts

R.E. Davis custom muzzleloaders, parts, tools & kits

jim chambers, best kits but pricey.

pecatonica river, kits & stocks

there are several small gun makers that also offer kits:
mike brooks fowlingguns.com
rustic arms
tenn valley arms

and many more, just google.

"They that can give up an essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety!" Benjamin franklin

The Armed Citizen PREVENTS tyranny!
Old December 23, 2007, 07:17 AM   #7
mykeal

Knowledge is your best ally in this endeavor.

This forum has a Gun Builder's Bench subforum. Friendly people with lots of experience and advice on everything from beginner's kits to building from scratch. Spend some time with them.
http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fu.../fusionbb.php?
Old December 23, 2007, 10:56 AM   #8
FL-Flinter

Don't shop price, shop QUALITY!

The lock is the starting point, if it ain't worth crap, the rest of the gun ain't worth crap. Same goes for the barrel, if the lock works perfect and the barrel ain't worth crap, that makes the lock pretty much worthless too.

Keep in mind, you are not limited to a "kit". With a little care and an attention, you can start with a stock blank that's pre-inletted for a barrel & lock then add whatever trigger and furniture that makes you happy.

Someone else listed a bunch of better quality kits, I have not used any of them because I build from scratch. I have heard only good things about the Jim Chambers and Don Stith kits but like I said, I have no personal experience with them.

If you want suggestions on individual parts, feel free to email me: [email protected]