The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 26, 2007, 10:48 PM   #1
.22marlin

700 rem.

This may sound like a simple question but apparently I can't get an answer. I went to a gun show recently and was looking for a new (thicker) recoil pad for my 700 remington chambered in 7mm rem. mag. I got so many different answers my head started to spin. Everything from, "use a slip on pad" to "you will need to grind your stock" even "you can't change them" So what's the REAL answer and can I do it myself.
Old September 26, 2007, 11:26 PM   #2
Scorch

Buy a recoil pad that meets your needs, cut your stock off square with a fine-toothed saw, mount the pad, put a layer of tape on the wood, and grind the pad down using a sanding disc with 60 grit, then switch to 100 grit to finish. Take your time and it will work out fine.
Old September 27, 2007, 08:20 AM   #3
Clemson

If you add a thicker pad, you will change the length of pull. That may be OK with you, but it will change the stock dimensions unless you cut the stock to keep the original length. You can do this yourself, but it sure helps to have a few tools and a grinding jig. The following is a writeup that I did for another board. Just follow it through, and it should tell you what is involved with putting a pad on a gun. The rifle would be no different from a shotgun in that regard.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/view...705&highlight=

Good luck!

Clemson
Gunsmith www.boltandbarrel.com
Old September 27, 2007, 08:45 AM   #4
oldironman

Quote:
Hi marlin. I noticed in your signature that you have a Delta Elite. I used to have one many years ago. I made a rash decision to sell it over 10 years ago, a decision I regret today. There weren't really all that many of them made, so I am thinking the odds are that you have my old gun. One thing you will learn about this place is that we take care of each other, so now is your time to take care of me. I am ready to buy my gun back. Now I understand you would want to sell it to me for the price you paid for it, but I insist on giving you about 5% more to cover inflation. I will PM you with my ffl info and all and I would like you to get it sent off right away, as I am stopping off to get ammo for it on the way home from work. I will send you a post-dated check (I get paid in 2 weeks) so don't cash it until then, or I will have to deduct the "bounce" fee from the total price. One thing I love about this place is the way we teach the newer members how to become outstanding members. I am very proud of myself in this regard. I know you too, will be like me one day. Thanks,
Your mentor
mark
Old September 27, 2007, 11:28 AM   #5
TheShootist1894

Ironman [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]!!??

Anyone else scratching their heads here???
Old September 27, 2007, 12:17 PM   #6
.22marlin

oldiron... I'll keep MY gun thanks.

As to the topic on hand, I must of had a brainfart or something because I own a win. 70 I don't know where 700 rem. came from?

Last edited by .22marlin; September 27, 2007 at 12:21 PM. Reason: fix photo
Old September 27, 2007, 12:23 PM   #7
Alleykat

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...IT+RECOIL+PADS
Old September 27, 2007, 03:16 PM   #8
Harry Bonar

pad

Sir:
Take your square, lay it along top of the forend (bore line) and cut the but off, allowing for the thickness of your pad. (this is really simple)
I love the Limb-Saver pad. Be careful grinding the pad (they say to use a coarse wheel on your sander).
You've got it done - you'll love it.
Harry B.
Old September 30, 2007, 02:31 PM   #9
oldironman

Quote:
Ironman [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]!!??
Anyone else scratching their heads here???
Just a little humor. I do miss it though. I guess my dry humor is sometimes misunderstood.
But...........

Quote:
oldiron... I'll keep MY gun thanks.

As to the topic on hand, I must of had a brainfart or something because I own a win. 70 I don't know where 700 rem. came from?
Are you sure your not also mistaken about the Colt?
j/k.

If I can ever get a raise out of my boss, maybe I could afford another one. My apologies for the hijack.