The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 16, 2007, 08:36 AM   #1
flashhole

Working Ruger #1 triggers

I have a Ruger #1V. I bought it new in 2001. Love the gun and it is quite accurate with my handloads but the trigger can use some help. Does anyone have an illustrated reference on how to work on the trigger? I'd like to hone and smooth the interacting parts in hopes of lightening the pull and making it more crisp but don't know how to begin.

I know there are replacement triggers available but I thought I'd give reworking it a go before buying a replacement. Thanks in advance.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old September 16, 2007, 07:32 PM   #2
Harry Bonar

Ruger #1 Trigger

Sir:
I'd not think of touching that trigger - your rifle shoots fine now - I'd leave it alone.
I've got a #1, 270 liteweight and I'd never adjust it - however Ruger #1 triggers are adjustable. Especially don't "hone" anything in that trigger mechanism.
Harry B.
Old September 16, 2007, 07:45 PM   #3
flashhole

Turns out there is a good illustrated how-to-improve-a-Ruger-trigger article in the archives on the Real Guns website. In it he replaces the factory trigger with a new after-market trigger but explains (with pictures) how to make improvements on the existing trigger too.

Your caution is accepted. I know the mechanism is sensitive to bungling and it could be a costly mistake if I screwed it up. I like the gun but I'd like it better if it had a better trigger. I may take the butt stock off and examine the trigger and sear under a good magnifier to see what it looks like. Others, on other forums, gave additional advice on using the proper tools and techniques to improve it.

Thanks

Old September 16, 2007, 07:49 PM   #4
flashhole

I get groups like this on a regular basis with my handloads but I have to work a lot harder at it with this gun than with some of my other guns with better triggers. This target was at 150 yards.

Old September 17, 2007, 07:09 PM   #5
Harry Bonar

no. 1

Sir:
Don't even dream of fooling with it - you're doing some great shooting there - both you and the rifle. No. 1s. can be cantankerous - you and it aren't!
If you can do the trigger better just be careful - that's great accuracy out of a No. !
Harry B.
Old September 17, 2007, 07:38 PM   #6
fisherman66

Quote:
however Ruger #1 triggers are adjustable.
If I'm not mistaken, only the three screw models are. The newer 2 screw models leave the shade tree trigger tinkerer screwed.