The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old October 2, 2006, 07:19 AM   #1
roger-ruger

Full Auto 1911/45Acp

If to fire 45Acp in standard pressure can a 1911 withstand full auto firing? 'Say using a drum magazine perhaps. Just wondering
Old October 2, 2006, 12:28 PM   #2
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

It's been done, occasionally

I believe both Star and Astra marketed full-auto pistols derrived from the 1911 pattern. They weren't particularly successful for a variety of reasons - - Due largely to insufficient slide mass, they had exceedingly high cyclic rates of fire. Single-stack magazines couldn't hold much ammo without becoming clumsy to manage. Much over a dozen rounds resulted in a totally unwieldy package. One burst, perhaps two, using great care - - It could be used, but mainly as an assassination weapon. This was, of course before relatively compact, reliable (?!) drum magazines were developed for pistol-sized firearms.

There is some reason to doubt that the Spanish-made arms would stand up to prolonged use in this type of adaptation. Anecdotally, the steel used for inter-war handgun manufacture tended to be rather soft. This usually made little difference as handgun practice was usually brief, and a sidearm might never fire more than a few dozen rounds while in service.

These fast-cycling weapons were hard to keep on target, too, unless a stock or additional handgrip was provided.

One rather famous adaptation of this type arm was rigged by the in-house armorer for the John Dillinger "organization." Rather than a .45, it was a Super .38, using an extended magazine, forward handle from a Thompson SMG, and a compensator fitted to the front of the slide. I've never read an account of how well it actually functioned. It was certainly more compact than the Thompson gun or the German MP18, but this is rather faint praise. It is also unreported how well it held up under use. Since each magazine was a one-off item, I doubt many were ever made for this arm.

This is an illustration of the exhibit which used to be displayed in the lobby of the FBI Building in Washington, DC. Note the gun in question in the left-center part of the image.

Best,
Johnny
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dillinger gang guns.jpg (176.5 KB, 5725 views)
Old October 5, 2006, 08:27 PM   #3
Maser

Like Johnny Guest said, it wouldn't really be very controlable unless there was a stock attached. I have never shot a full auto 1911, but have tried rapid firing one and it is hard to stay on target. I would think that without a stock attached only a 3 shot burst would be practical.
Old October 5, 2006, 09:13 PM   #4
Freetacos

Old October 6, 2006, 01:47 AM   #5
segraves1

Colt Gov 1911 45ACP
Remington 700 .223