The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 11, 2005, 09:08 PM   #26
9mmMike

PJR,
If you were to do it again would you choose the rifle sights over the single bead? I have a gaggle 20" rifle-sighted 870's and I like them a ton but I kinda sorta like the idea of just a bead on such a short shotty.
Just wondering,
Mike
IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!
Old October 11, 2005, 09:27 PM   #27

I got rid of my bead, and went with a snap on hi viz bar sight on the end..in red. Makes a very huge difference. Other option I looked at was meprolight ghost rings...either or a good idea..went with hi viz cause it cost like 30 bucks..shop wanted almost 200 bucks for the ghost rings.
Old October 12, 2005, 08:37 AM   #28
PJR

9mmMike

This shotgun originally came with a 14" bead sighted barrel and I swapped it out for the rifle sighted version. My 14" gun is for farm duties and bear protection if required. For both duties I prefer slugs and the rifle sights offer me a little more precision at further distances. On my other gun I have a set of TruGlo fire sights that replace the Remington front and rear sights and at some point will do the same to the shorter gun. Here's the same gun with the bead barrel.

Old October 12, 2005, 10:01 AM   #29
9mmMike

Thanks PJR. Two 14" barrels = two tax stamps or can you have multiple barrels once the the receiver is registered? This is assuming that you do not mount the extra barrel on another gun.
Thanks again,
Mike
IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!
Old October 12, 2005, 10:26 AM   #30
PJR

No stamps at all. In Canada, factory-made 14" shotguns with an OAL of 26" or more are treated just like any other shotgun.