The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 22, 2013, 11:42 AM   #1
Frettbird

FNS-40..mags drop out from ambidex. release.

I thought it was the gloves the first time it happened. The mag releases 'are' ambi, and the size of a compact car. So when I shoot it with the standard 2 hand, thumb forward, pull the trigger, "don't lobster that, son" method, gloves or no gloves, at some point, the mag release on the opposite side of my side (I am right handed) gets pulled and the mag falls out.

Lovely gun, but I don't think duct tape is gonna help me here. My instructor told me, "pick a system and stay with it."

I over bought. Anyone else have the same issue, and/or any ideas how to not release that opposite mag release on my trigger finger side ?
Old March 22, 2013, 12:31 PM   #2
nixfix

Don't have this issue on my FNS-9, only way that would happen is with a death grip on mine. So given that, I suspect you may be able to get a stiffer spring to fix the issues? Just taking a guess here, but I know people do it on other guns.
Old March 22, 2013, 12:49 PM   #3
Wreck-n-Crew

So Both thumbs are on top of each other and pointed forward correct?

And one of those thumbs is hitting the release?

Would it happen to be the thumb on the shooting hand?
Old March 22, 2013, 08:04 PM   #4
Frettbird

Nah, but I've only shot it 50 rounds. The mags fall out. Nicely, actually.

Might be the recoil, it's a bit sparky. I have big mitts and it has huge releases. I hate my range, my season pass is running out and I'm done there. Standing in the dark outside (cow pen roofs) shooting 25 yard minimums with these old eyes. It ain't working. I need to see what I'm doing, it's an FN...they been at it longer than me.

Peace.
Old March 22, 2013, 09:01 PM   #5
gman3

Have not had a problem with mine (yet) but co-workers have had their magazines come out in the car, at their desk, and other places as well as on the range. Will be the second issue that we have had with them. Supposedly there is going to be a fix for it from FN.
Old March 30, 2013, 10:37 PM   #6
justchadsmith

I had the mags dropping out on me as well. I thought it was me at first but my fns40 is now on its way back for repair. Hopefully it won't take too long.

Tags
fns-40 , mag drops out , mag release