Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

View Poll Results: As .44 Magnum owner how are you treated
Generally positive 105 84.68%
Generally negative 19 15.32%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 11, 2009, 12:29 PM   #1
IanS

The .44 Magnum at the Range: Reactions

I was shooting a rental Ruger Redhawk a week ago to get my .44 Magnum fix at my local indoor range. There was only one group at the other end of the line. I took the spot at the very end so I might not disturb them. After they were done they were standing behind me watching me shoot.

I turn around to say "hello". The ask me what I'm shooting and I show them. I ask one of them if they want to try it out. They say "no thanks". Everyone seemed to be friendly. Then, as they turn to leave one of them says "What's he trying to prove" just loud enough for me to hear. As if that's the only reason someone would shoot a .44 Magnum.

I don't own a .44 Magnum yet but the strong feelings it always seems to generate always surprises me. A mix of awe and resentment. I imagine its like driving down the street in a Lamborghini Murcielago. They admire the machine but dislike the person behind the steering wheel.

So for all you owners of .44 Magnum owners and other high powered handguns how are you treated by your fellow shooters at the range?

Last edited by IanS; March 11, 2009 at 12:47 PM.
Old March 11, 2009, 12:59 PM   #2
Buzzcook

If you think a sotto voce is hard treatment your skin is too thin. Just write it off to people being jerks.

If the range allows you to use a .44 mag then that's all the approval you need.
Old March 11, 2009, 01:04 PM   #3
ar15chase

I have gotten some ugly looks while shooting my Uberti, but for the most part people seem to be interested in the gun. I have offered some others a chance at shooting it. I havent had any takers yet. I guess some people are just scarred of them.
Old March 11, 2009, 01:09 PM   #4
nate45

When people find out I own a few .44 Mags they think I'm a super cool guy and a hand gun expert with impeccable style and taste. At least thats the way I see it.

Seriously though I think since the advent of cartridges like the .454 Casull, .500 S&W, etc that the image of the .44 Magnum as overly large and powerful has been greatly diminished.
Old March 11, 2009, 01:10 PM   #5
ATW525

I sold my .44, but when I had it the only comments I recieved were generaly positive from people interested in what I was shooting. Of course people could have been cursing me for all I know, it's not like I could hear them when I was shooting.
Old March 11, 2009, 01:14 PM   #6
mnhntr

probally some die hard 9mm glock guys
Old March 11, 2009, 01:24 PM   #7
Sam06

I don't shoot in indoor ranges anymore and the last time I went to the public range I had several 44mags with me. No one said anything to me until I started shooting my Contender in 45-70 The guy next to me said there was no way he would drop the hammer on one, but I got him to do it..He shot half my ammo up

I would not worry about what people think about you too much. The guys that kill me at the range are the Ninjas and anyone with a HK-91 sitting to the left of me:barf: I am ducking brass the whole time. That's why I shoot at home as much as I can.....Like everyday
Old March 11, 2009, 01:39 PM   #8
madmo44mag

I answered negative because the ones I get are very negative.
I even had a guy one day call me a "Prick with a hand cannon" because my 44 was so loud and shaking the dust off the rafters.
I thought that was pretty brazen considering I was holding a loaded 44mag, who cares what a jerk thinks.
Some people just don't have a clue.
Then there are some that are fascinated with the gun and ask to try a few rounds. I always carry some light loads and some heavy mag load and give them a choice.
Well back to the loading bench. I need to load out another 500 rounds of 44mag.
Cya!!!
Old March 11, 2009, 01:50 PM   #9
IanS

Quote:
If you think a sotto voce is hard treatment your skin is too thin. Just write it off to people being jerks.
Oh no, I wasn't "offended" or anything. Its just interesting all the different reactions I get whenever I'm shooting a .44 Mag.
Old March 11, 2009, 01:56 PM   #10
Buzzcook

I will say, one time at an indoor range I was using cheap foam inside the ear plugs, when a guy down the range opened up with a hand cannon. I had to leave the area because my ears were ringing.
Just one of life's little lessons
Old March 11, 2009, 02:00 PM   #11
IanS

Its also interesting that at my indoor range they don't allow anything over .44 Magnum. I asked the manager and they said people were complaining about blast, noise, and such nonesense. They're trying to draw the line at .44 Mag. Now I'm worried they might not even allow .44 Mag one day.
Old March 11, 2009, 02:20 PM   #12
sandbag

No One Cares

At one range I belong to,people are shooting 500's and rifles and shotguns-all indoors
Consequently my 44 Mag 29-2 and Vaquero go unnoticed.
Old March 11, 2009, 02:21 PM   #13
HiBC

The only real difference between dry firing and shooting is noise,recoil,and results on or near the target.

Some folks don't enjoy these effects,but many do.I can have fun shooting a .22,and my 32 H+R,and the1911.

But what I enjoy most is full power loads in my .44.Bigger,like the 454 Casull,becomes uncomfortable,and I don't enjoy it.

I have a similar place with my .375,I enjoy,but a 416 Rem,is unpleasant.

That is where my preference is.

As far as reactions,I usually shoot in wide open space with a brother or friend who are enjoying the same thing I am.There is no one to impress.

I avoid groups,usually.There are a lot of good folks,and they are a treasure,but we can always find a narrow minded judgemental horses hind end ,insecure with themselves so they must criticize someone else.
That is their problem,and I don't care what they think.
You were having fun,and you were gentleman enough to offer to share.

If someone beside me is having fun with .38 midrange wadcutters,Good for them! I have no disrespect.If they offer me a wheel,I would likely be gracious enough to accept.And,I'd have fun.
Old March 11, 2009, 02:27 PM   #14
rantingredneck

I don't own or shoot .44 mag, but at one point shot a good bit of .454 Casull in my SRH. I would always get the "What tha heck was that?" look once I started shooting. I got a couple of folks walk over and ask about it. I usually (if I had the spare ammo) would offer to let them shoot it, most declined. One fellow fired 2 rounds, said "Ouch" and laughed. No real negative reactions though.

Big bore pistol cartridges have their uses and I think most folks understand that. They also generally require a good bit of practice to gain proficiency. But if folks don't understand and want to get snitty about it, so what?

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old March 11, 2009, 02:37 PM   #15
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

My current .44 Mag has a 3" tube and is MagNaPorted, to boot.

Nobody's ever said anything about it, although I do try and be considerate if possible and not set up next to new shooters or hardcore target guys.

If I was trying to get 1-hole groups with a tricked-out Smith 41 or IZH, a big-bore snubby in the next lane would frustrate me, too, but I'd understand that that stuff sometimes happens at a public range and deal with it.
Old March 11, 2009, 02:40 PM   #16
azredhawk44

I've only had 2 people complain about muzzle noise or blast.

One was some fat fart at Usery Pass range in Mesa. I was shooting my 18" M1A with compensator on it and he got pissy that I was supposedly interfering with his shooting (even though I was there before him and he chose to sit next to me).

The other time was a mom teaching her kid to shoot a .22, and I was shooting my 4" Redhawk. She didn't care for the effect the muzzle blast had on her kid's aim. I changed to a smaller gun while she was teaching him. Gotta help out the little shooters.
Old March 11, 2009, 02:56 PM   #17
Storm52

I've had similar reactions when I used to haul the 629 8" to an indoor range. "Why would anyone need something that big?"..."Making up for short comings..." blah blah blah. Outdoor was usually a different story, with someone always wanting to shoot it. I'd like the opporunity to test the .500 Remington at 50+ yards.
Old March 11, 2009, 03:10 PM   #18
Russ5924

Where I shoot it has a roof just over the shooting area outside. Most 44 and 500 aren't to bad. But get some one shooting close to you with a ported barrel and you have to walk away, the roof just brings the sound right down at you.
Old March 11, 2009, 03:46 PM   #19
CraigC

Thankfully, I no longer have to deal with other shooters or any of the other drawbacks to public ranges. Most of what I encountered was curiosity, people just wondering what all the noise was about. However, I'm not surprised at the response you got. You know what they say about people and what they do not understand. Although there are plenty of macho ego-maniacs with .50AE Desert Eagles that just like to strut and make noise that make the assumption about "shortcomings" true more often than not. I found that the onlookers generally keep the negative comments to themselves when they see that you actually hit your target.
Old March 11, 2009, 04:06 PM   #20
Baba Louie

Makes me wonder what they'd say if you were shooting a Ruger BH chambered in the itty bitty .30 Carbine?

That .30 KRAAACK!! is a lot harder/sharper/faster than a good old .44 BOOOM! Even thru doubled up ear protection. Both bring big smiles. Specially when you make small groups on paper.

But then again, some people would gripe if you hanged them with a new rope. Ya know?
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address
Old March 11, 2009, 04:13 PM   #21
Magnum Wheel Man

Like the guys that have thier own ranges have implyed... getting me to a public range is like pulling teeth... I have everything I want at home, & no complaints...

BTW... I shoot a fair bit of 44 mag, my favorite being a ported snubbie Dan Wesson... but I have 2 guns that always draw a 2nd look, & cause even the most seasoned of shooters to cower... the ported 45 - 70 Contender, with hot loads, & my ported Automag 5 in 50 A.E. ... either gun throws such concussion, that it'll cause the ears & eyes of people within 50 feet of the shooter to bleed

well... it could...
Old March 11, 2009, 04:34 PM   #22
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Baba Louie,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba Louie
That .30 KRAAACK!! is a lot harder/sharper/faster than a good old .44 BOOOM!
My two biggest offenders, especially on an indoor range, are my 3" 627 V-Comp (with the right ammo) and my 4" Model 53. When that .22 Rem Jet leaves a four inch tube, it's accompanied by a cloud of burning propellant the size of a beach ball and a sound that's closer to an AR carbine than a pistol.
Old March 11, 2009, 04:44 PM   #23
zxcvbob

Quote:
Makes me wonder what they'd say if you were shooting a Ruger BH chambered in the itty bitty .30 Carbine?
I've got one of those. I don't shoot it much (fun to shoot, but I still need to polish the chambers so I can eject the empties without pounding them out) but it is *great* for when I need a little more elbow room at the range. A couple of shots and everybody moves another couple of feet away
Old March 11, 2009, 05:47 PM   #24
Willie Lowman

I have been on both sides of this fence. When I was teaching my wife to shoot, we went to an indoor range due to crappy weather. One day there was a guy about 3 stalls down from us with a .44 mag Desert Eagle. He used that thing to throw about $50 of lead down range as fast as he could. He probably was having the time of his life but it made it hard BOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOM!!! to explain BOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOM!!! proper grip and sight BOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOM!!! alignment...

On the other hand, when my buddy an I were working up some loads for our Redhawks we were asked how long we would be shooting "those things"
Our response of "We each have 4 sets of 24 rounds, each one a different bullet/powder combo." The person asking how long we would be there packed up his Anshutz and left. Sorry dude.
Old March 11, 2009, 05:55 PM   #25
Breadslinger

At the time I applied for my CCW, the only revolver I owned was a Ruger Vaquero in .44 mag. That's what I used to get the revolver certification on my card and the one I shot during qualification. Once I began shooting, the rest of the class was polite enough to hold their fire until I was finished.
With response to the poll; most of the reactions from other shooters at the range (including those in my CCW class) has been negative.