The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 12, 2013, 01:11 AM   #1
Venom1956

Turned another one!

Took a friend of mine and his lady out to the range few days ago.

She won't allow him any guns in the house. Even in a safe.

So I took them both to the range with a few toys. 22 pistol, all steel 9mm, and the AK

It was cold and I expected a brief range trip, hour tops. She was out there almost 3 hours and took to it like a duck to water. She can out shoot her husband with the .22 started her @ 7 yards and with in an hour could land 9 outta 10 shots @ 25 yards.

After they both got more aggressive rifle stances they ate thru five mags of AK ammo.

Ammo expended cost: roughly sixty dollars

For sixty bucks a very hesitant mother and wife anti gunner became a shooter. Now they are together picking out their first pistol which seems to have they Ruger mk3 in the lead for her then the XDm 9 for him.

Just thought it would be nice to hear some good news for a change.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old March 12, 2013, 01:20 AM   #2
Quadpod88

Ammo $60
His and her handguns...priceless
I'd say it was money well spent.
Old March 12, 2013, 05:40 AM   #3
certified106

Re: Turned another one!

Excellent work!
Old March 12, 2013, 07:09 AM   #4
redhologram

Now that's news I like to read with my coffee first thing in the morning!!
Remember to tell her (and him) about Pax's website http://www.corneredcat.com It's a great resource for covering topics and issues relating to women and guns. My favorite, in fact.
Old March 12, 2013, 08:30 AM   #5
AK71

You can add another new convert!

First post and glad to be here!

Other than a trip to the range with my grandfather at age 12, I'd never held a gun. I grew-up in a pretty liberal family where no one considered owning a gun other than that grandfather who was a policeman in NYC. My wife grew-up with a Dad who is a pretty big hunter and had practiced with a shotgun on several occasions. For the last couple of years she's been pushing me to take an NRA gun class because her trust in society has waned. I was resistant with the excuse that we have two children under 10 and I wasn't comfortable with a gun in the house. I finally gave in and am addicted! We went shooting together for the first time yesterday at the local Sportman's Association we just joined- and plan to go as often as possible. I have a million questions for you experts but am trying to read-up as much as possible before bogging down the board with tired topics. Be gentle with this noob while I try to catch-up!
Old March 12, 2013, 08:38 AM   #6
allaroundhunter

Re: Turned another one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK71 View Post
First post and glad to be here!

Other than a trip to the range with my grandfather at age 12, I'd never held a gun. I grew-up in a pretty liberal family where no one considered owning a gun other than that grandfather who was a policeman in NYC. My wife grew-up with a Dad who is a pretty big hunter and had practiced with a shotgun on several occasions. For the last couple of years she's been pushing me to take an NRA gun class because her trust in society has waned. I was resistant with the excuse that we have two children under 10 and I wasn't comfortable with a gun in the house. I finally gave in and am addicted! We went shooting together for the first time yesterday at the local Sportman's Association we just joined- and plan to go as often as possible. I have a million questions for you experts but am trying to read-up as much as possible before bogging down the board with tired topics. Be gentle with this noob while I try to catch-up!
AK71, great to have you aboard, both the shooting and TFL community welcome you! Please ask anything you wish, the only stupid question is the one not asked. We will be more than happy to help, and while an expert I am not, I do like to try to give a pointer here and there
Old March 12, 2013, 08:58 AM   #7
Rifleman1952

It has been my experience too that once you get a person, who is somewhat anti-gun (or on the fence) to the range, the enjoyment and fun of shooting a firearm becomes readily apparent. These folks are easily converted to our side, not so much by words, but by the experience of actually using a firearm. I have watched this transformation myself and it is wonderful to see.
Old March 12, 2013, 10:11 AM   #8
Venom1956

My friend filmed her shooting the AK so I am hoping he will email me a copy of it if its any good i'll post it up here.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old March 12, 2013, 10:22 AM   #9
REDBULL600

I had a similar experience with my Mother.

Coming from a military background, My father is a Ret Army helicopter pilot; Sgt Maj, people are often surprised when they learn that fact that I am not more familiar with firearms. Both my parents worked for the army (since we lived near the base, it was/is the biggest employer) even after his retirement and often spoke of "training" accidents at the training Ranges. My dad often investigated these, so I now understand why his desire to keep his family away from firearms.

At Christmas we visited the farm and I brought all my handguns, thought I'd get my dad out and do some shooting with him. After bringing up guns I learned he is still very hard lined against guns at least any outside of the Traditional since. WE got into some heated talks. He had no interest in going out and shooting, plus it was like -2 and this is Kansas so the wind was blowing.

I went out and shot anyways, just the .22LR pistol I had just bought. My mother came out and she shot with it and was dead on target. Holy crap. Being a Proud Texas woman I really should not be surprised. She has been asking me about guns ever since. She feels they need something for the RV when they go on the road and stay in RV parks. Sometimes there may not be anyone there but them and she worry's about that. There are times a truck or car rolls through the RV grounds late at night and she gets nervous.