The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 11, 2013, 11:59 AM   #1
StukaJU87

10/22 optics?

Hope I posted this in the right section.

I am looking to put a scope on a Ruger 10/22 but don't know anything about scopes. I would like to be able to use the scope mount that comes with the riffle if possible. Also, I would like to stay below $50-$100 if possible.

Will this Barska scope from Walmart work?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Barska-Pli...C10380/4634048

I've searched older posts but the ones I read didn't say if they were able to use the scope mount that comes with the 10/22. Since I don't know what I am doing, I don't want to buy something that will force me to have to buy a new mount and new rings. Is there a "Dummies guide to scopes" somewhere? lol
Old June 11, 2013, 12:24 PM   #2
Nathan

At that price, I would buy the best Simmons or Redfield you can afford, Leupold Rifleman rings and you should be ok. Don't buy Weaver rings. They cannot hold torque. The band bends when tightened. You'll crush the scope before the mount is acceptable. Locktite is of little use because you still have little to no clamp load!

I would have trouble putting money into another brand optic in this price range. Even these 2 will be hit and miss. Vortex is another ok brand at this price.
Old June 11, 2013, 12:39 PM   #3
SgtLumpy

Yes, that Barska will fit your 10-22, if it has the stock Ruger scope mount rail screwed to the top of the receiver. I think 3-9x is a very good zoom range for a 10-22. I have a Bushnell 4-10x on mine.

Same gun in both pics. New bbl and stock in the bottom pic. Tack driver but that heavy bbl makes it really hard to shoot anything but prone or bench.

Sgt Lumpy
Old June 13, 2013, 02:14 AM   #4
bamaranger

10/22

The thing with the 10/22......way I see it anyhow, is that it's a carbine... short, stubby, light, portable and tidy...etc. One can muck up the advantages of all that by putting on too much scope. Hang a conventionally sized 3x9 on a 10/22 and the rifle looks out of balance and carries awkwardly.

Way out of your price range, but the Leupold rimfire scopes, the fixed 4x and the 2-7x variable, are sized right to put on a 10/22. I also have an early Tasco fixed 4x World Class, of very good quality that sat on a 10/22 for years.

Don't hang a monster tube on a 10/22.
Old June 23, 2013, 08:45 PM   #5
Shadow9mm

personally I prefer a good 1.4-4.5, or a 2-7 for short to mid range distance shooting. I have and love the Bushnell banner 1.5-4.5x32 which is about $75 off midway. I swore of the Barska scopes. I bought a 4-12x50 a while back just for kicks and grins. It seemed like a decent scope until I took it to the range and shot it. It was on my Ruger 10/22 and after the first couple rounds (maybe 10 total) my crosshairs started rotating. I checked to make sure the scope was still tight in the rings, it was. instead of a cross i had an X for my crosshairs. It got returned and I will never buy another barska again.
Old June 23, 2013, 09:21 PM   #6
SgtLumpy

It seems that the OP made a left and is stuck on the freeway to somewhere.

Wherdja go StukaJU?

Sgt Lumpy
Old June 25, 2013, 07:59 AM   #7
Rifleman1776

Mine has had a Tasco Pronghorn 4X on it for over 30 years.
Squirrels hate it.
IMHO, a .22 doesn't need anything more powerful than 4X.
Old June 25, 2013, 07:52 PM   #8
Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

You do get what you pay for in optics!!!!!! One real problem with some scopes at .22 LR ranges is parallax. Parallax can make a reasonable shooting rifle into a very poor shooting rifle.

The advise to look to a better scope is good.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
Old June 25, 2013, 08:36 PM   #9
Justice06RR

Quote:
The thing with the 10/22......way I see it anyhow, is that it's a carbine... short, stubby, light, portable and tidy...etc. One can muck up the advantages of all that by putting on too much scope. Hang a conventionally sized 3x9 on a 10/22 and the rifle looks out of balance and carries awkwardly.
I have a Bushnell Banner 3-9x40 on my 10/22 and it handles just fine. Still very light and well balanced, for me anyway. you can see very well at 100yards or so, and it has a 6-inch eye relief.

To the OP, this is the scope I recommend and its the one I have on mine.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/bush-rs-bnr-713947.html

around $80

Old June 25, 2013, 08:56 PM   #10
SgtLumpy

My 10-22 isn't a "carry carbine" the way I've got it setup. It's a way to practice shooting a little distance without the expense of the Remington 700. Those darn Rugers are so easy to modify, and there's so many aftermarket goodies available for them, they make an excellent platform to turn into anything from a folding stock short bbl to a bipod heavy bbl to a long bbl big scope or any combination, anywhere inbetween.

So I don't look at putting a 3-9x scope on one as defeating it's (only) purpose. I look at it as expanding it's more narrow focus from carry carbine to whatever you might want.

Sgt Lumpy