The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 4, 2012, 09:31 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

Finishing up my walk in gun safe... want to hang on the walls

got any suggestions for long term of hanging rifles & handguns ( mostly ) but also shotguns on the walls for display / storage ???

was thinking the plastic / rubber coated hooks, screwed into the wood lining of the walls, but want something versitile

just looking for other suggestions I've seen those brass hooks with applied felt, but think the soft plastic coated hooks might work better for longer term storage ???
Old September 4, 2012, 12:42 PM   #2
hooligan1

A fella that I used to work for when I was a teenager ran a gunshop out of his house. He had a huge "walk in" safe (12 ft deep x 10 ft wide x 8 ft tall,) it had solid concrete walls and was centrally located in his basement. Lining the walls were 2x4 stud walls with Spanish Cedar 2x6 lumber for wall board, he took 5/8 dowell rods and specifically position those dudes to lean the long guns against, and had shelves for pistols, and some hung from dowells also,, but it looked very nice and he could fit a bunch of guns in that thing as well as "Boxed" inventory.... It was really nice,, heck it's still looks nice and smells nice too.
Old September 4, 2012, 01:14 PM   #3
Magnum Wheel Man

I had given some thought to dowel rods, but the holes would be harder to patch up if I wanted to change things around... ( you know... you buy that "one more gun" & now the set doesn't fit in the space you allowed when you set up the safe )
Old September 4, 2012, 04:36 PM   #4
Chris_B

Hi.

Please buy an inertia-powered flashlight for the safe, and leave it inside. You know, a wind-up light. In case you get locked in and no power. Just a suggestion
Old September 4, 2012, 09:59 PM   #5
big al hunter

My favorite lgs has peg board type hanging rods that are adjustable in dado cuts in hardwood plywood. Beautiful and functional. Or if the dowell idea needs to be more adjustable, put the dowells in lengths of hardwood1x6 and screw the 1x to the wall. Mobile, solid, beautiful. And screw holes are small.

And I'm jealous, I will have a walk in some day. Got plans for an underground shooting tunnel 100 yds long, just have to find the right house/property.
Old September 4, 2012, 10:10 PM   #6
slammedsi

When I did my add on to my house last year I had a room added that is 12x10. It's lined withcenderblocks then has a normal drywall wall. One one wall I used several sheets of peg board with steel pegs that I dipped into a liquid rubber. I cant recall what the bame of it is called but its made for dipping tools in like a pair of pliers handles. Worked great for what I'm using it for. Most if them are just hanging from the trigger guard.
Old September 4, 2012, 10:16 PM   #7
TheGoldenState

I dream of a walk in safe with a mass of guns hanging free, on the walls, in all their glory. Ammo Everywhere.

I imagine a work bench, radio, and flatscreen.

Maybe even a futon

Post some pics………please!
Old September 4, 2012, 10:42 PM   #8
sgms

I went with wood vertical gun racks on wheels for rifle and shotgun makes it easy to move around if I need to. Same for the pistols racks are 12 pistols wide and 5 racks high also on wheels. Used pine rather the racks get the dents.
Old September 5, 2012, 06:32 AM   #9
Magnum Wheel Man

thanks for the comments guys...

mines about 10 X 12, custom steel door opens in, ( so I can't get trapped inside ) & is designed to be fully fire proof ( it's designed to also use as a safe room, I could go inside during tornados, or a house fire, if I couldn't get out ) all poured concrete heavily reinforced... I'm actually at the point of finishing the interiour walls... next is to use spray adhesive & stick heavy plastic onto all the concrete, & then skin the walls in wood ( I'm using aluminum diamond plate on the ceiling to cover the insulation between the I beams that hold up my concrete on top... being shiney, I thing it'll look kinda cool, & reflect more light ) I have a loading bench on one wall, & 4" exhaust Fan, & 4" fresh air inlet ( actually both fans are reverseable so both could be air inlets, if I were inside during a house fire, to pressurize the room, & help keep smoke from entering, a sump pump pit ( & extra tile inside & out of my rooms footings ) & a dehumidifier, that drains into the sump pump pit under the loading bench... a corner of the room will have shelves dedicated to emergency / survival stuff... not going over board in my room, because of my limited space, & as we have more "stuff" in the pantry & garage, & I'm not "doomsday prepping" per se

my initial thoughts on interiour walls was to buy cedar ship lap boards & seal them with deck sealer... I still like that idea, but the cost is pretty high... I've been seeing hardwood & laminate flooring applied to walls, & am going to look at that option, before I start shelling out the dough for custom cedar boards... I think I've seen cedar closet lining that is tunge & groove & only like 3/8" thick rather than 3/4" like I was originally thinking ???

back to the hanging / displaying of the firearms... I'm still leaning towards the rubber coating of some type of "hooks" but I do like the idea of applying the hooks to longer boards, & only putting a few screws actually into my safe walls... my plan was to sort by caliber on the walls, with the guns on hooks displayed horizontally, starting with guns in 17 caliber, & moving up from there, with the appropriate ammo below & build an ammo storage area on the floor, at the base of the wall, that would basically be a long bench along the wall, that the ammo would store in, & would be organized by caliber for the guns above... I'd use treated 2 bys on the floor, so the ammo would be off the concrete floor an inch & a half ( most all of my ammo is currently in flip top plastic boxes, but I have tons of ammo cans, & a couple rifles that use the spam can ammo, so the ammo storage needs to be sized to work with all 3 types of storage boxes ( I've not gotten an exact measurement of what I want there yet )

still open for sugestions on wall covering, & display hooks, etc...

BTW... SGMS... I may decide to do the shotguns ( because of the longer barrel lengths... & maybe some of my long barrel single shots ) on the vertical racks, I like the idea of the casters, so I could easily move them around... though I love the look of the old rolling blocks & Martini's, I may still have to find the space to get them on the walls so I can look at them more

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; September 5, 2012 at 07:22 AM.
Old September 5, 2012, 09:25 AM   #10
Rifleman1776

A relative in a distant city has a terrific walk-in safe in his home.
He used slatted walls for his guns. The display is really terrfic, all out in open and arrangement possibilities are unlimited. Look into the slatted wall thing. I believe any home improvement/lumber yard would have them.
Old September 5, 2012, 09:53 AM   #11
Magnum Wheel Man

Spent a little time looking at slat wall panels, & if I could find the right finish, that might not be too bad... was leaning towards "real" wood interiour walls, most of the comercial units ( that offer 4 X 8 panels ) are laminate or Melamine... laminate wouldn't be too bad, but they are more spendy, but the slats would offer close to the ultimate in adjustability ( next to peg board, which I'm not at all interested in ) the hooks available could easily be shaped & dipped in the plasti stuff to protect the guns, & are available in bags of 100 on the sites I was on
Old September 5, 2012, 01:49 PM   #12
Magnum Wheel Man

Well... I've decided to go with "real" wood on the walls... we have a local custom wood supplier, that is going to give me a really good price on some Hackberry tonge & groove in 8ft lengths any width ( up to 8" ), or an assortment if I want to randomize them... so I'm back to what hooks to use... though I"m thinking that adding board "rails" where the rifles hooks will screw could cut down alot on the holes into my paneling... could maybe have a router run over the edges to give these board a nicer, more finished look...

the Hackberry is a pretty light wood ( better for lighting ) with some dark contrasts, & I'm getting the more "rustic" grade, so I'll get a few knots & such for charictor... a couple coats of deck sealer & I should be good for starting to hang my rifles finally... been planning this room for close to 15 years...

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; September 5, 2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old September 5, 2012, 03:42 PM   #13
sc928porsche

You could get garage utility racks and use the different hooks that are designed for them. That would allow you to change the arrangement. The racks would have to be painted, but thats no big deal.
Old September 5, 2012, 03:57 PM   #14
Magnum Wheel Man

don't know what those look like... got a pic or link so I know what you mean ???
Old September 5, 2012, 05:23 PM   #15
rr2241tx

You might want to reconsider the vinyl/plastic coated hook idea. That stuff leaches vinyl chloride and will discolor your stocks, may also alter the color of the bluing on the barrels. Polyvinyl chloride also doesn't play nice with certain types of solvents, including oils. You'll want to keep that in mind when selecting wood finishes as well because some wood finishes will react with some gunstock finishes, to the detriment of both.
Old September 6, 2012, 05:39 AM   #16
Magnum Wheel Man

So what is a better alternative ???
Old September 6, 2012, 06:20 AM   #17
4V50 Gary
Staff

Real wood is good for the back. Guns look good against wood.

For pegs, why do museums use clear plastic? Less interference with enjoying the object and no moisture collects like it can on wood or felt.
Old September 6, 2012, 06:11 PM   #18
sc928porsche

check Lowes' storage building storage system for example.
Old October 9, 2012, 06:03 PM   #19
Magnum Wheel Man

things have progressed nicely... 2 walls are actually insulated & paneled using tonge & groove 1 X 6's... I'm leaning towards 2 matching wood ( roughly ) 2 X 4's with routered edges, & 2 rows of angled 1/2" holes 3/4" from the edges, with holes 2" apart, & staggered...this will give me give me a alot of adjustability, & I'll only need to put a screw in the top, middle, & bottom... & I can slip 1/2" dowels into the holes to hang the rifles & handguns from...

I'm still finishing up my wiring, & insulating as I save up money for the rest of the panneling boards which are Hackberry... a nice light wood, with dark graining
Old October 11, 2012, 09:24 AM   #20
djcantr

You could still use hooks and just slip small tubing over the hook portion. Might have to do some research on the correct type of tubing but I would think some food grade tubing wouldn't leach chemicals like the tool handle dip coating. I could be wrong, just throwing out an idea.
Old October 12, 2012, 02:58 PM   #21
Chadk

pictures!!
Old October 14, 2012, 10:15 PM   #22
lefteye

You should test any hook your are considering with all of your gun cleaning/protection chemicals to be sure there won't be a chemical reaction that harms the finish of the gun or grips. You should also test for a chemical reaction between the hook covering (vinyl, plastic or rubber) and the finish of wood grips. I had a slight problem. The finish on a smooth Esmeralda 1911 grip reacted with the covering on a handgun rack.
Old October 15, 2012, 04:46 PM   #23
Magnum Wheel Man

Thanks for you guys interest... MRS. Magnum is quite paranoid, so you won't likely see too many, if any pics, you'll have to rely on my descriptions... ( If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy ) unfortunately, as I'm laying out placement, I'm already seeing that the $16,000.00 of just concrete & steel, did not buy me enough space to display everything the way I wanted to...

I'll be using 2" X 4" or possibly 2" X 6" boards, that match the tonge & groove paneling with 1/2" holes drilled for wood pegs in 2 rows to hang everything on... 2 boards for rifles, a single board for rows of handguns ( likely the 2" X 6" for handguns )... so I'll be using 1/2" diameter wood pegs at a slight angle to display any of the guns on the wall

longer shotguns, single shot rifles & muzzleloaders will on a wheeled 6ft double sided vertical rack in the middle of the room...

since I'll be using this as my loading area, & I reload around 70 different cartridges, ( I'm still trying to decide how / where to put the Thompson Contenders )... the loading bench, ( room for 2 single stage presses & one progressive ) & all the ammo, empties, bullets, powder, & primers, as well as boxes of loading dies, & basic tools, also including a lead melting pot, bulk lead, & several bullet molds... a good portion of the room ( probably 1/2 of the room ) gets eaten up by the "reloading stuff"... wish I could have come up with another $16,000.00 I'd love to have it twice as big as what I ended up with
Old October 16, 2012, 05:12 AM   #24
sawtooth1

new gun safe

I'm getting ready to build our new home and am planning to build a walk in safe. I would love to see some pics and will be following this thread. Currently i'm going to build in the corner of the basement and all walls will be rebar reinforced. Initially i'm thinking something in the 12x8 range for interior size.
Old October 16, 2012, 05:56 AM   #25
Magnum Wheel Man

Mine is outside the house, with a door through the basement wall & the top was done in 2 pours, with a big piece of rubber roofing membrane between the layers of concrete to insure it's water proof...

if you're building from new, pouring the top on the gun safe is pretty easy, before building the rest of the house... in my case, I used 3 I beams for support, set into pockets in the walls, with the corogated steel on top, like they use to pour the floors in high rise buildings...

I always wondered how those that add them to existing basements got the top sealed up to be either fire proof, or to keep an enterprising thief from using a circular saw on the floor above, to gain access ???