The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old August 15, 2010, 08:30 PM   #1
legend#1

problems firing polytech legend ak47

i own polytech legend series ak47. rifle has fired alot of rounds, been through alot, all of a sudden , when loaded you fire one or two rounds before nothing happens, round is still chambered. clear round and reload, same thing will repeat. was purchased in 1991. can't seem to see anything broken when disasembled. can anyone help???
Old August 16, 2010, 09:12 AM   #2
Skans

Here are my suggestions:

1. Could be ammo related - have you tried using a completely different kind of ammo? Are you using reloads? What ammo are you using? Look at the primers - are you getting light primer strikes?

2. If you are certain it is not ammo related, then my next guess would one of three things: worn firing pin, worn auto sear or worn full-auto bolt carrier (where it trips the auto sear). Dissassemble the bolt and inspect the firing pin (also make sure there is no material stuck in the firing pin hole). It should also be pretty easy for you to check the timing of the FA mechanism with the top cover off and no magazine. Just tie back the trigger and cycle the action - you should be able to observe whether the auto sear is working correctly.

3. Also check where the auto-sear engages with the notch on the hammer - if this is worn, the hammer could be riding the bolt carrier, which would cause symptoms like what you describe.
Old August 16, 2010, 03:36 PM   #3
PTK

Based on my experience, it sounds very much like the auto-sear has worn too short to properly engage and "unlock" the fire control group on the bolt closing.

Pretty easy to replace, and only $10 or so online.
Old August 17, 2010, 10:23 AM   #4
legend#1

thank you for your reply

thank you guys for the info, i will be sure to check these out right away. you know my first thought was bad ammo, but the rifle always fired any round put through it. will get back to you guys soon after inspection.
Old August 17, 2010, 12:17 PM   #5
Skans

Just one other comment legend#1 - You're a lucky dog to have a full-auto polytech legend. Pictures????
Old August 17, 2010, 07:21 PM   #6
WARRIOR I

No, this problem can't be corrected at all. You need to cut your losses and
sell it to me right away.