The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 21, 2013, 07:31 PM   #1
Goet

I want an AR15, but I'm not stooopid.....

So, I've been toying with the idea of getting an AR. I'm normally an AK and C&R kind of guy, but all the recent hoopla has kindled an interest in buying a different type of evil black rifle.

I'm not worried about picking it up anytime soon and refuse to pay panic prices. The last time I even bothered to look at AR prices, they were in the 550 range to start, but that was many years ago.

I'm looking at just a cheap base model, preferably 20" flattop and the brand doesn't matter as long as it is reliable. Just something I can either scope or stick a red-dot and call it good.

Here's my question: what is the gtg price that they were selling for pre-panic? I'm hoping that things settle down and prices come down somewhere near previous prices and would just like to know what those dollar signs would be.

I realize that it is wishful thinking that they come back down to the same prices, but a guy can hope, right?
Old January 21, 2013, 07:41 PM   #2
NormOps

AR-15

Before things went crazy, prices were in the $850 range for a basic carbine like a DPMS or similar decent brand. Now I'm seeing used ones in the paper for $2400. Who knows when things will calm back down...
Old January 21, 2013, 08:26 PM   #3
lockedcj7

I attended a gun show a few days after Sandy Hook and prices were still under $800 for several of the entry level ARs. Business was brisk.

Now I have to brag a little. I offered an older Sig P229 for trade a few weeks later and got a hit. I was able to trade it straight across for a very nice AR with low round count and lots of bells and whistles. After selling some of the accessories that were attached to it, I have less than $600 invested.

I also saw a nice AR on Armslist for $950 a few days ago. Decent deals can still be had, they are just fewer and further between.
Old January 21, 2013, 09:14 PM   #4
Nasty

Prices will return to normal April 15th.

Hey...one good internet rumor is as good as the rest.
Old January 21, 2013, 09:18 PM   #5
HankC1

Quote:
Prices will return to normal April 15th.

Or doubled, never know!
Old January 22, 2013, 11:15 AM   #6
Grump

Sorry, but drifting towards a purchase decision prompted by socio-political events and market insanity is

stoopid.

You're already there, so as soon as you find one for less than $1,000, go for it. Absent some near-miracle from the high school popularity contest (complete with a stunning divorcement from reality) that is Congress, I do not see any relief in sight.

Or you could wait for a revolution, and pick up a slightly-used M4 for whatever they will be going for during, or in the after-anarchy. Think Afghanistan. What do select-fire AKs and M16-series guns go for there?
Old January 22, 2013, 11:27 AM   #7
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

The word from the SHOT show from manufacturers is that the 2013 production is on back order. That means that one should get on a list at the nearest friendly FFL and wait for delivery. I'd certainly shop around and find one who will do a usual markup, not a panic price. Months? Who knows?

I'd guess that prices will drop back a lot from the panic level, but likely a bit higher due to higher materials costs and the usual problems for the manufacturers. I wouldn't be surprised at a 10% increase in average retail pricing.
Old January 22, 2013, 11:23 PM   #8
Auto426

There's a lot of price gouging out there as some are trying to take advantage of the unprecedented levels of demand. You can't really blame some of the smaller mom and pop type shops, as they have limited inventory and are last on the list when it comes to getting new stock. There are some larger outfits out there that have kept their prices stable, but they pretty much sell anything they get within minutes of it being listed for sale.

IMO one of the best deals currently going can be found at Walmart, where they sell basic Colt 6920's for $1097. For the level of quality you receive, the price is nearly impossible to beat, especially with all the panic buying going on. If it turns out that you just plain don't like AR's, you should easily be able to turn around and sell it for $1500 or more. The only problem is going to be catching one in stock, as they typically are gone within a matter of hours after hitting the shelves.
Old January 22, 2013, 11:53 PM   #9
breakingcontact

I don't think the move is to buy or sell AR15 rifles or mags at this point.

It's either a bubble that won't last, or they will go up in value 10X but who knows?

Suppose if you have enough of them, you could sell some and hedge.

If you've just "got money like that", then good on you and do what you want!
Old January 23, 2013, 01:21 PM   #10
precision_shooter

Smith & Wesson M&P15 Sport is a no frills flat top AR of good quality. Before the craziness, they could be had new for around $650... Who knows what they are going for now.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old January 23, 2013, 01:48 PM   #11
chiefr

Providing politicians don't ban them, I would just wait. Now is not the time.
Old January 23, 2013, 02:04 PM   #12
Jack O'Conner

Buying an AR is a very poor investment. These rifles will be outlawed in America within the next 15 years.

Jack
Old January 23, 2013, 02:09 PM   #13
jonnyc

There might be a glut for sale out of NY and a few other states soon. Don't be in any rush to buy an AR.
Old January 23, 2013, 02:20 PM   #14
s2thalayer

shoot, i was building ARs for as low as $600 before the panic. We're talking very basic rifles, pre installed bull-barrel flattop complete DPMS uppers and budget stripped lowers with DPMS parts kits from classifieds, then grabbing the buffer/spring/rest of the stock kit from Ebay. Sounds cheap, are some of my favorite rifles and extremely accurate.

Who knows if we'll ever see that again.
Old January 23, 2013, 03:04 PM   #15
taylorce1

Quote:
Buying an AR is a very poor investment. These rifles will be outlawed in America within the next 15 years.*

Jack
I sure hope and pray that you are wrong. However until the voting public starts to get involved and vote out the status quo in both parties we are doomed to go down the path of England and Australia.
Old January 23, 2013, 03:21 PM   #16
tomrkba

Prices are going to be too high for the next six to twelve months. Training is a better investment anyway. Most instructors have AR-15s you can use for class. Why not attend a practical carbine course from a known instructor?
Old January 23, 2013, 07:49 PM   #17
chris in va

I picked up my S&W Sport for $630 last year.
Old January 24, 2013, 10:00 PM   #18
CTS

Palmetto State Armory has (had) about the best thing going in my opinion. Pre panic you could buy a nice mil-spec AR with hammer forged barrel from FN for around $800. That is where I would be looking if I needed another AR.
Old January 24, 2013, 10:11 PM   #19
droptrd

Rock River prices from the factory are holding steady. Iheard theyre around a 6 month wait list though
Old January 25, 2013, 08:21 AM   #20
Skans

I have AR parts and a barreled upper laying around that used to be installed on my Colt SP1 Carbine. I put the Colt back in its original configuration, now I'm thinking about picking up a receiver set and just building an AR myself. Then I'll have to decide on whether or not to keep the Colt, but I won't get rid of it until I have something better to replace it. Still, it's a Colt, and I think Colt AR's are going to be hard to come by in the future.

These are the thoughts that are bouncing around in my head - and I don't even particularly care for AR's all that much.
Old January 25, 2013, 06:58 PM   #21
Come and take it.

At one time doublestar AR15s in my area were going for less than 600 dollars, just before sandy hook. It was In a Walmart sales flyer.
Old January 25, 2013, 07:03 PM   #22
WildBill45

You better get used to it, the prices are going to be high, and for a long time if not forever. Things have changed. If you want one, you may consider getting one in case the prices go even higher...

RISK VS. BENEFIT

"If Ands and Buts were Candy and Nuts, everyday would be like Christmas"
Old January 25, 2013, 08:02 PM   #23
CTS

There's a nice Sig 400 for $1600 listed in the for sale section with optics and 4 30 round mags. If I was in the market I think I'd be all over that. http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=512634
Old January 26, 2013, 12:28 AM   #24
MRMTEX25

I ordered a Sig 516 Patrol on Dec 28 and it just got shipped yesterday. The price for Sigs at this dealer went up $300 from pre Sandy Hook, which isn't bad. I got it for $1,850 out the door. It was $1,599 back in November. I've been looking to replace mine and kicked myself for not jumping back in September. Hard to say how long prices will be up before they flatten back out again.
Old January 26, 2013, 12:31 AM   #25
MRMTEX25

I left out he has been filling all of his back orders is back to little or no wait, that's what he told me anyway. If you're looking for a Sig try this dealer, Aaron Arms. I'm not with this guy or anything but he did a good job for me. Hope that helps someone looking for a Sig