The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 1, 2006, 01:48 PM   #26
Big Marsh

Well, third_rail, just what do you expect. There is no testing, nothing about the environment(SP), you say it increases velocity, I don't know you or Jules or whoever from the offer you made to the forum. My dear ole' pappy always said 'don't buy a pig in the poke' that is the reason for my questions. Nothing personal, I hope.

I will await the testing and your actual muzzle velocity reports.
Can it be set off with a hammer?

Will a regular match set it off or does it take the cap only?

Have you checked the bullets to see if the 'pill' was still attached to the bullet, or any part of it?

Does it improve accuracy? I am talking like 8" down to 5" pattern at 25 yards.

Have you found any part of the 'pill' between the pistol and the target on the ground or in your testing so far, did you experience any of this?

I do like the looks of your .44 lead bullets. I may have missed it but what is the lead-tin content?

Thanks,

Marsh
Old June 1, 2006, 04:09 PM   #27
Third_Rail

Quote:
I will await the testing and your actual muzzle velocity reports.
The 200fps on average increase, that's the actual muzzle velocity increase, on average.

The "pill" burns completely, no large pieces are left - some fouling, much like BP, remains, but combustion is quite complete.

The bullets are pure lead, fwiw.
Old June 1, 2006, 11:32 PM   #28
gmatov

TR,

I don't know what the pressure boost will be either. I think it will be inconsequential, unless you are shooting a Walker with 60 grs BP or a Rem with over 40. DON'T think you are gonna blow up your pistol's cylinder.

That said, I still don't think I, personally, need them. If you can sell a box or 2 to some of them with chronys, I'll wait to hear their reports, and STILL have little use for them.

Y'know, one of my s'in laws loads 300 gr balls in his 44 mag, his OWN dad thinks he is foolish, and he (the dad) shoots bowling pins every week in competition. He loads as hot as the 300 ball will allow, WAY too much kick for me, and for the old guy.

As far as the new bullets being pure lead, I don't know of any swaged balls made by anyone, that are not pure lead. The same s'in law has a 38 swaging setup for pistol bullets, requires pure lead, and it is a 'C' or 'O' type press. You ain't gonna squeeze alloyed lead by hand press.

That is not to say you cannot use an alloy in a BP revolver. Many say no, but others say yes, and some of those who say yes have better credentials than some of the posters here.

Cheers,

George

BTW, Manyirons, here's the number, no PM, 724 640 5021, my cell, the old guy wants to convince me that you guys are legit, tell him to give me a call.

If I can get a word in edgewise, I might ask him if he can do anything to my pistols, or ask him what he would want to reblue one or two of my modern firearms. He's only a hundred or so miles from me, with no Gunsmiths, to speak of, in my home territory, I might just drive over to see him.

Got a Browning O/U over 50 years old needs reblued, hesitant to send it to Browning, think it would cost too much there, got a 6 m/m-284 Varmint needs to be bright polished, my gunsmith, dead, now, made a kinda matte finish on it, built on a 98 action, would prefer it to be a nice shiny deep black-blue, even got a Rem pump 22, 582, had a bent barrel from the day I bought it, shoots a foot to the left ( I think, mebbe the right). Was gonna press it straight, if the Smith can do it better, easier, might get him to do it.

Cheers,

George
Old June 1, 2006, 11:37 PM   #29
gmatov

Marsh,

That has to be an allegorical question, "8 inch down to 5 inch at 25 yards", isn't it?

If you are getting 8 inch groups at 25 yds, you got a problem.

Pocket pistols will do better than that.

Cheers,

George
Old June 2, 2006, 08:52 AM   #30
Big Marsh

Yea, just an example.