The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 21, 2014, 08:33 PM   #1
Drizzt

Modding a Mossberg

I still have the 20ga shotgun that was my first real gun. Since I was about 7 or 8 when it was given to me, the stock had to be cut down a little in order for me to be able to hold it properly. Fast forward about 40 years, and I want to make it into something practical again. I would have to get a new stock no matter what, since it is now too short for me, so I am thinking about transforming it from a hunting shotgun to one more suited for defense, and since it is a 20ga my wife will have less apprehension about having to fire it. My question is, what can I or should I do in order to effect this transformation? It is a New Haven model 600CT, which I am told is pretty much the same as a Mossberg 500, so I would hope that after-market add-ons would be fairly easy to come by.
"That a free citizen should have to go before a committee, hat in hand, and pray for permission to bear arms - fantastic! Arm your daughter, sir, and pay no attention to petty bureaucrats." Robert Heinlein - Red Planet
Old November 21, 2014, 09:20 PM   #2
burrhead

I'd just cut the barrel down and call it a day. It does'nt need anything else. Bead sight is perfect and anything you add is just more weight. KISS

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.
Old November 22, 2014, 01:42 AM   #3
Dreaming100Straight

Often people want a shorter LOP for a defense gun. This is especially so if they actually want a tactical gun for use with body armor. But that is not a home defense gun.

If you only need to lengthen what you have by a inch or less, you should be able to do so by adding a spacer and perhaps a thicker recoil pad.
Old November 22, 2014, 07:37 AM   #4
SARuger

I'm with burrhead :-), I chuckle saying that ;-/

But if you want to keep the original barrel there are plenty of options out there and barrels for the 500 are cheap compared to the 870. I paid $175 for my rifled/cantilevered Remington slug barrel and I felt like I got a deal
Old November 22, 2014, 01:26 PM   #5
Dreaming100Straight

Yep. You can pickup a genuine Mossberg 500 18.5" barrel all day long for @ $90. Here is one for $80 that may not be a genuine Mossberg part.
Old November 22, 2014, 02:18 PM   #6
jaguarxk120

All those $80 barrels were 12 gauge, kind of hard to fit on a 20 gauge gun.

The 20 gauge 24 inch barrel is about $153.00, for that kind of money a used Mossberg 500 can be bought.
Old November 22, 2014, 02:37 PM   #7
T. O'Heir

Yep, a New Haven Model 600CT is a 500. Downside is that there is not a lot of the daft aftermarket stuff for M500's. Stocks and barrels aren't daft stuff. Surf to Mossberg's site and look at the Muddy Girl.