The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 23, 2002, 09:17 PM   #1
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I paid some dues tonight...

The guy with the shaved head and Bob Marley T short rested the muzzle of his rented trap gun in the dirt while he transferred shells to the pockets of his droopy pants. The two other guys with him were not doing that much better as they had to be told to don eye and ear protection. I had just arrived at PGC and wanted desperately to shot a few rounds, but decided to sit this one out.Rental guns, glasses, and a box of AAs each.

The word,"Mother" was in their vocabulary only as part of a longer word.

Steve, a veteran shooter I knew slightly was also waiting, his BT99 resting in the rack next to my TB.

The three on the line might have been tough and streetwise, they looked it. But they were clueless about shotguns, and it started to look like a long day as they started to shoot. Their first shots were fruitless, and they discussed the misses at length while bird after bird got launched. Voice releases cannot tell the difference between "Pull" and "$%^&*" if spoken loudly. They were loud.

These guys were lost. And, my conscience was riding me like a saddle bronc, with spurs raking from the point of my shoulders back, deep.

So, about shot # 10, I walked forward and asked,
"Would you guys like some help?". Big grins all around.

So, one more class of Shotgun 101.Stance, mount, grip,sighting swing,shot,follow through. Cheek on stock, eye on bird, not bead. Repeat, because they hadn't done it before.And then again,because they forgot.

Then guy #2 smashed one, and we high 5'd. Some hits for all followed, and after being thanked effusively I returned to the bench with warm fuzzies. Thw worst was to come.

No good deed goes unpunished. These guys were so slow geological eras seem to pass while they discussed every shot, fumbled around, dropped shells, ad nauseam. Steve and I fidgetted, looked to see if any other traps were open, and prayed these guys would smarten up. The frustration built and built.

The Geezer Squad looked like amphetamine crazed jackrabbits next to these 20-ish, fit men.

Finally, after a wait longer than the gestation periods of rabbits, they fired off the last shots and left the line.Steve and I stuck plugs in ears, grabbed our shotguns and moved to the line faster than middle aged men usually move. As I passed the first one, he thanked me and I told him that we would not hit them all either, but he was welcome to watch and maybe get some ideas.He relayed that to the others and they stood vigil at the fence.

Steve and I then shot was may be the fastest two man squad in trap history. We wanted to get at least one round in before they went for more ammo.

It was downright aerobic. Our shots weren't 10 seconds apart, and it went like a well oiled machine. After the first post, with 10 smokers between us, the newbies applauded and waved as they left in the direction of the clubhouse. That spurred us on, and a faster round would be very hard to do.

And it's funny, I shot a 24 and Steve said he dropped a couple, tho I didn't see them. The speed didn't hurt our shooting...

Next two rounds went likewise, a 23 and 24. Not bad for me at all. Maybe frustration helps concentration(G)...
Old May 23, 2002, 10:18 PM   #2
kehrby

You done a good thing! A little patience with these guys will pay off in the end. You know as well as anybody that evey one we get is one less for the other side. And look at the bright side, at least they're at the range and not out robbing your house
Old May 23, 2002, 11:02 PM   #3
Kingcreek

Dave, I also shoot best when I don't have time to think.
last week shot skeet rounds (just the RM and me before closing up) with all birds pairs and usually before called and all from low mount. gets you greased into that instinctive auto-mode.
Good for you helping those fellows. Maybe they'll hang around enough to learn more than just shooting techniques. like how to talk and dress and act like us human beens.
Old May 23, 2002, 11:12 PM   #4
C.R.Sam

Looks like multiple benefit.
You got them on the right path.
And upped your own game a notch.

Cool.

Sam
Old May 24, 2002, 02:22 AM   #5
Gumbo

You do not know what a service you provided these young men and the shooting community. I see many men and women at the base range look down their noses and curse anyone who is not toting a Perrazi or a Krieg. Rather than turning these young men off to one of the greatest sports on earth, you probably made life long scattergunners out of them. God has a special place in his heart for those that break clays on a regular basis.
Old May 24, 2002, 05:21 AM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Thanks, folks. My old Scoutmaster would be proud.

Kerhby, they (or anyone else) wouldn't be robbing my house. Mrs McC and her First Model Colt Trooper (Python frame, buttery smooth action) don't play. There are some other security measures in place.

Gumbo, The Diety may have a special place in His Heart for teachers also. Hope so!

Also, there's an old Thread here about Jerks at the Range, about equipment snobs and so on. You may like it.

As to the fast shooting, I think it worked well because I didn't take time to think. Steve mentioned that Engineers tend to be great rifle shots(if they shoot at all) but poor shotgunners in his opinion. Got to admit that the folks that do so well at benchrest tend to be nigh useless with a scattergun. More art than science, IOW.
Old May 25, 2002, 07:40 PM   #7
Brooks

Listen to their music

Dave,

Have you ever tried to listen to the lyrics of their "music"? My youngest will be 21 in a couple of weeks. He left a CD in my car and really for the first time I tried to struggle through the filthy lyrics of a rap tune. "Bend over baby, I goin' to stick it up yo' a--."
He thinks Eminem is a musical genius!

At the trap range, he has to take a too wide stance to keep his oversized jeans from falling off. Now, any pants that approach fitting his 31" waist seem like they are choking him.

Now, he is a Christian schooled Republican. I have hope.
Old May 25, 2002, 08:52 PM   #8
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Brooks, the final results aren't in yet. My kids like to read our old photo albums and see their old Dad as a young man with a long ponytail.
Discharged from the military in July, 70, I got my next haircut in March of 75, IIRC.

I could expand on my opinion of Rap as the musical extension of the mysogynistic and violent fantasies of losers, but this is a Shotgun forum.