The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 8, 2014, 03:56 PM   #1
Brutus

AR uppers

I have a Bushmaster V match rifle that I bought for target shooting. It's a nice rifle for that purpose but at 10lbs+ with a scope and a 1 inch 9 twist other than varmint shooting that's about all it's good for. Been thinking about getting a lighter upper with a faster twist or possibly one of the newer 6.8 calibers.
Where's the best place to go? Does inter-changeability between brands actually work or is there fitting involved? Was on Bushmasters web site and their prices are almost the cost of a new rifle. If I could get a new upper in say the $400 range it might be doable otherwise I'll just stick with my 30-30 assault rifle for home defense and my 06 for my hunting needs.
Old November 8, 2014, 04:50 PM   #2
Duzell

ar15s

look up
http://www.ar15news.com/

for good resources and new products

the ar15 products are interchangable to a point.

you could just buy the 6.8 parts and "swap out" the others to have a 6.8 ar15
Old November 9, 2014, 09:08 AM   #3
Ibmikey

The problem with changing uppers is you now have a spare and Brownells has Bushmaster lowers for fifty bucks and then you could build a second rifle, but then you would see another upper you like better and PSA has blem lowers for forty bucks...and now your life is possessed....just keep the ole 30-30!
Old November 9, 2014, 11:39 AM   #4
Fal 4 Me

I bought a Stag 6.8 upper and put it on a Rock River Arms lower. They fit together well. You should have no problems putting a different brand upper on your Bushmaster lower.

The lower is the cheaper half of an AR15, but you can find some good deals if you keep an eye out. A while back BCM had some blemished uppers on sale for really good prices. If you want a 5.56 upper right now, I'd recommend this one.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-1...urg-mid-16.htm

You'd still need to add handguards and a charging handle. If you choose basic ones you should be under $500.00 total. A complete 6.8 spc upper will cost at least $530.00.

Be patient, watch Slickguns.com, and you'll find something that meets your needs and requirements.

Or maybe get in on this deal.

http://www.kygunco.com/mobile/produc...hmaster-rifles

I don't care for the carbon lower but the upper should be fine. I'm sure there will be other Black Friday deals out there too.
Old November 9, 2014, 01:49 PM   #5
tahunua001

there's no issue with uppers mating to lowers unless you get a really cheap upper/lower combo. rock river and stag and one point or another built to really tight tolerances which made them difficult to pair but I believe they've bother remedied their finished products to be a bit looser. I like double star products myself. very nice quality at reasonable prices, I have one of their 6.5 grendel builds, love it. you're not likely to get an upper half in anything but 5.56 for less than $500. here's a few offerings from doublestar.

6.8SPC 16" barrel

300 blk 16" barrel
Old November 11, 2014, 09:23 AM   #6
tirod

If you have been thinking about a lighter gun overall, in an alternate caliber, it needs to be spelled out in numbers exactly what range and target you intend to shoot at.

All to often we buy based on emotional qualities and what fuzzy feelings we get owning something, only to discover it doesn't really meet the task we actually had in mind.

Plus, it's somewhat vague to suggest "something lighter in an alternate caliber." It could then be suggested that an AR pistol in 6.8 or .300 Blackout would be the perfect answer. That very well could be - but the person stating their desires might not be ready to accept it.

Nailing down what range and target the gun is supposed to work with does. And, a lighter version of what you already have, in a slightly different caliber, doesn't exactly make it very different, if at all. Another one that's barely any different except in weight and bullet diameter may not be enough of a change.

Change is what is being desired, specify the target and distance, which should give not only us, but the OP, the meat of the issue to see if it's really any different than what is already doing the job.

Gun auctions are full of guns for sale because they didn't meet a specific need, but a gun rack has guns that do. Spell it out and you get more for your money than the opportunity to own something temporarily that didn't work out.

Be advised, an alternate caliber won't have any ammo available for $8 a box. Like it or not, 5.56 is the king of cheap in that regard, and we don't have our government imposing trade restrictions on importing it yet. If you do want a different caliber, then specifying how often you intend to shoot it and at what gives you an idea of how expensive it will be - which has a big influence on if you will and how often.

That makes it a keeper or a seller in just a year or two.

I have a 6.8 16" lightweight carbine I use hunting, and look forward to our season opening this Saturday. But - it's not a plinking rifle unless I start reloading and getting ammo under 50c a round. I am building a AR pistol for defensive use, it will weigh a pound less, and in 5.56, I can shoot it 2-3 times as much with ammo purchased off the shelf.

Define your range and target, and you get much more satisfactory results in the long run.
Old November 11, 2014, 10:08 AM   #7
Metal god

PSA and most of the time you will need to buy a BCG & charging handle with it add $100 to upper price for that

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...-nato-223.html
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.../complete.html

They are out of 6.8spc right now

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .