The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: What's Your Magic Number OF Firearms For You If You Have One?
1-10 29 17.90%
11-20 28 17.28%
21-30 25 15.43%
31-40 10 6.17%
41-50 8 4.94%
51-75 7 4.32%
More Than 75 55 33.95%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 13, 2013, 08:05 PM   #1
Joe_Pike

How Many Firearms Are Enough For You Personally?

This has nothing to do with gun control, or anything along those lines. What I would like to know is if there came a time or is there a time coming soon for you when you have all you want/need? And if there was/is a time, what was/is the number of firearms that you will try to keep it at.

I was a member of the "gun-a-month" club for several years and bought one every time something caught my eye and I had the money. There came a time for me, in the not too distant past, when I started realizing that I had more than I would use on a regular basis and since I have no heirs I also have no one to leave anything to. If something happened to me, my sister and mom would be left with trying to liquidate what I have since they really have no interest in them.

I've sold/gifted roughly 25% of what I had, but still have more than what I think I might want to end up with. I am now having a difficult time deciding on what to let go of and what to keep. I have been putting the money into some things more easily liquidated.

So, for you, what's the magic number that you have pared down to or aspire to with your collection.

Poll is anonymous.
Old April 13, 2013, 09:27 PM   #2
Jo6pak

I'm also whittling my collection down as of late. Shooting is no longer my main hobby, and I would like the money for other things.
I'll just keep what I need for hunting, a couple for plinking and range fun, and one or 2 for security.
Final number will probably be under 10.
Old April 13, 2013, 09:36 PM   #3
johnwilliamson062

I whittled down a few years ago when I went to work outside the US. When I start buying again I will probably buy mostly 22s. All the fun, half the cost(or less). I can't see a number limit, though I doubt i will get to 75 any time soon.
Old April 13, 2013, 09:57 PM   #4
Joe_Pike

Quote:
When I start buying again I will probably buy mostly 22s. All the fun, half the cost(or less).
I'm with you there. I have a bunch of fun shooting 22s.

Quote:
though I doubt i will get to 75 any time soon.
Another forum I used to read a few years ago had a post about a fellow that had 1,500 firearms and was trying to get to a more manageable 300 or so. That number boggles my mind a bit when thinking about storage and maintenance.
Old April 13, 2013, 10:02 PM   #5
Romeo 33 Delta

For me it is simply a matter of finally reaching the end of things I wanted to collect, shoot, and own. Does this mean I'm really done? Maybe ... but I might stumble across a nice Enfield No VI, or a decent RSC 1918, or a cheap-er than $25K Jap Type 5. Short of that ... it's up to my gunsmith to finish off a bunch of projects ... that will give me some more stuff to shoot.
Old April 13, 2013, 10:09 PM   #6
chris in va

Ten, tops. I've fired quite a few and pared down my collection to what I've always wanted.
Old April 13, 2013, 10:38 PM   #7
Joe_Pike

Quote:
Ten, tops. I've fired quite a few and pared down my collection to what I've always wanted.
I sure do wish I could get down to that number. It's hard to let go sometimes.
Old April 13, 2013, 10:44 PM   #8
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
When I start buying again I will probably buy mostly 22s. All the fun, half the cost(or less).
Oh, you think that now. Wait until you get the bug for old Winchester and Remington pump-actions. Then there are S&W K-22's, and...ermagherd, is that a Colt Ace?

Collecting nice rimfires can get pricey quick

Honestly, I don't know how many are enough. When I have problems taking care of them, perhaps that'll give me an idea.
Old April 13, 2013, 10:48 PM   #9
sam colt

I don't buy for need, I buy a gun if I like it and can afford it. I collect Lionel Trains also and the same goes for that. Hopefully the guns. like the trains will continue to grow.
Old April 13, 2013, 11:10 PM   #10
cheezhed

I think the number is as many as you would want to own. I see no number on books or radio sets one can own or how often one can go to worship so why a number on firearms?
Old April 13, 2013, 11:15 PM   #11
Joe_Pike

Quote:
and...ermagherd, is that a Colt Ace?
Off topic a bit, but about two years ago two complete Colt Aces came into a LGS. The manager was showing me one in the box and I asked how much. He told me "in the $800 range, but we have to log them in first." I told him I would take that one. Came back and the price had jumped to $1,150. Bummed me out enough I wouldn't even go into that shop for a while. The $1,150 was still worth it, but I'm stubborn.

Quote:
I think the number is as many as you would want to own.
But, that's my question - how many is that?
Old April 13, 2013, 11:16 PM   #12
TXAZ

Artificial Limit

And the need for setting an artificial limit is...?

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old April 13, 2013, 11:17 PM   #13
alex0535

Never enough.

Based on what I will inherit and collect through the course of my lifetime, I expect to amass somewhere around 30-50 eventually. Might be more, might be less, only time will tell.
Old April 13, 2013, 11:17 PM   #14
Joe_Pike

Quote:
And the need for setting an artificial limit is...?
No need, and you don't have to play along if you don't want to.
Old April 13, 2013, 11:25 PM   #15
TXAZ

Joe
No issues. I find it interesting when limits are assumed or placed on an arbitrary scenario. I'm surprised at the number that picked a low number.

Reminds me of mag limits debated.

For me until i get the motorized mini-gun, i dont have enough
Thanks
TXAZ

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old April 13, 2013, 11:50 PM   #16
Evan Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXAZ
I find it interesting when limits are assumed or placed on an arbitrary scenario. I'm surprised at the number that picked a low number.

Reminds me of mag limits debated.
Joe isn't asking how many firearms people should want or "be allowed to have."

He's asking how many each of us, personally, would be satisfied with, which is an entirely different question. Not everyone is a "collector." Not everyone has unlimited funds, or storage space. Some put more value on owning a few very high-quality things, while others want as many different things as possible, within the limits of their budgets.

People differ. It's what makes us interesting.

And for most of us, whatever answer we give, the media would still call it an "arsenal"...
Old April 14, 2013, 12:45 AM   #17
dakota.potts

If I had unlimited money, my collection would look something like:

.22 Ruger pistol
.22 Anschultz rifle
AR-15 with assorted uppers and magazines
AK-47
SIG 551
Assorted lever action carbines
A Saiga 12 of some sort
Swiss K31
PPSh-41 (automatic)
A collection of Milsurp pistols and rifles including Makarov, Tokarev, Luger, Enfield, and heck, even some automatics like a Thompson or a Maxim if we're considering lots of money.
"Sniper" rifles in chambers from .222 to .50 BMG
Lahti 20mm Anti Tank Rifle
Browning M2
Definitely a WWII BAR
A CZ handgun if not many
M203 with live rounds
57mm Anti Tank Cannon from World War II/ other large Destructive Devices (see my other thread)
Something in .17 WSM
.45-70 Gatling gun
M60
MG 42

I guess that's it for now
Old April 14, 2013, 01:41 AM   #18
huntinaz

I used to own only firearms that filled a need. Now, I find needs for my firearms. There will always be something else I "need." I expect to have more than 75 before I die.
Old April 14, 2013, 07:03 AM   #19
Rifleman1952

Most of the firearms I own are for self-defense, plinking and target shooting. I'm not anticipating buying too many more firearms at my age. I own 12 now, but could see myself buying a good coyote/pig gun (.243 bolt action) and a few military collectibles (if I come across a good deal) over the next few years. I don't really have a "magic number." If money were no object, and the wife didn't mind, I would have many more. But in the real world, my number of guns is determined by my budget.
Old April 14, 2013, 07:49 AM   #20
bikerbill

I don't think I could put a number on when I might feel I have enough ... thought I did six months ago, then I got the fever and bought an XDs ... now I'm feeling an urge to get a Ruger LCR in .22Mag ... will I trade guns I currently own for new purchases? Maybe ... but I really don't want to get rid of what I have ... owning and shooting firearms is fun, with a solid background purpose -- defense of self and country ... I'm going to be limited, I'm afraid, by age more than by desire ...
Old April 14, 2013, 08:13 AM   #21
wayneinFL

I suppose I could get along with a:

357 revolver
12 gauge pump
12 gauge semi auto
30-06 bolt rifle
22 bolt rifle
22 revolver
AR-15
38 J frame

But I'm sure I could get along with less than that if need be. And I probably will eventually, when I'm older. I think as the kids move out I'll pass them down, and just keep what I'm going to use. I have a lot of guns I just don't shoot that much.
Old April 14, 2013, 08:31 AM   #22
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I'm not a collector, by any means. All my firearms fill a niche. I don't have any that I "want" because of the gun itself in particular. I "want" them to fill a "niche", even if the "niche" is itself a "want" and not a need.

Based on that, I really can't see owning more than 8 or 10, tops. I'm not really sure how I'd even get that high.
Old April 14, 2013, 08:32 AM   #23
Kreyzhorse

I personally don't have a limit. I own less than 20 guns and I don't buy a lot of them, but when one strikes my fancy, I buy it.

I can't imagine owning over 75 guns, but you never know.
Old April 14, 2013, 08:42 AM   #24
skimbell

Seems like it's always, "probably one more..."
Old April 14, 2013, 08:46 AM   #25
8MM Mauser

Well, as far as my actual needs go I would say I "need" five, three of which I already have:
I have:
A sporterized Mauser
A Ruger MK II
A Mossberg 500 shotgun

I would like to acquire very soon:
A .22lr rifle
A "real" caliber pistol that is concealable. Probably poly-framed and probably an M&P.

With these five guns I could do just about anything I want to do with guns. I can hunt any animal in NA, and protect myself in and out of my home, plus afford to practice a lot with both rifle and pistol.

Now, as far as wants....

A .30-30 lever action
A .45-70 lever action
A .45c SA revolver
A .357 mag revolver
A .44 may revolver
A mid-range 1911
An AR15
A nice double-barell shotgun, probably a citori
A magnum rifle, probably a Mauser in an "African" cartridge
Replicas or originals of the 1861 Springfield, Springfield trapdoor, Krag, Springfield 1903, Garand and M1 Carbine.
A stock K98
A PTR91 (G3 copy)
A CZ-75B
A smith and wesson K-Frame, an old one

That's about as much as I would ever want to have around. This assumes a world were I have unlimited funds and unlimited shooting time. Realistically, I doubt I would ever go over 10. I refuse to not shoot my guns or keep any "safe queens." After I cover my five "essentials" I'll be happy to add an AR15 and after that I'll probably acquire things that really strike my fancy, and probably from the list above.