The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 4, 2012, 12:08 AM   #1
lefkosia

Did I Miss Something?

Yesterday I sold a pistol and the guy had a stainless P232 he wanted me to buy. Although it felt good in my hand I was not interested as I have a new P238 and will not use the .380 for anything but plinking and to shoot varmints around my house and the occassional times I cant cc anything else. Anyway, he wanted $500 and he indicated the value was more as it was a German made gun............I ignored this because I felt that was not a good deal. On my way home I started thinking about it some. I don't remember seeing Exeter, NH stamped on the pistol. It did have the usual Kurz 9mm on it.

Sometimes I buy neat guns and shoot them for awhile and then sell them with a little profit built in. It gives me a chance to experience a lot of different guns.

Did I miss a good deal?
Old October 4, 2012, 07:04 AM   #2
PSP

Quote:
Did I miss a good deal?
No, not really. At $500, that's what I'd call a fair deal, an expected and normal price for a P232SL. Could you have made a profit? Perhaps, but not much, if at all. But then again, as you said, sometimes buying different guns is fun, even at a slight loss, just for the experience.

What you may have missed is the chance to own a truely superlative, world class pistol. IMHO, one of the best designs for perfect ergonomics ever.

Last edited by PSP; October 4, 2012 at 07:10 AM.
Old October 5, 2012, 01:28 AM   #3
Mosin44az

I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it. That price is not a screaming deal by any means.

Also I personally have never been that blown away by the excellence of the P230/232 either. I actually had a Bersa that outshot the P232 I rented, and the Bersa felt better also, with less recoil and a better grip. The P232 is an old blowback design, way more recoil for its size than a more modern gun would have.

I bet the P238 has less felt recoil. I know a Kahr P9 is much nicer to shoot, and that's a 9mm Luger.