The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 12, 2012, 04:41 PM   #1
eastbank

old brittle rxp wads

a friend gave me a bag of wads as i was just about out. they were old rxp,s target 1-1/8 oz, they were brittle as some of the pedels broke off with a little flexing,but i loaded 25 with 17gr red dot and #8 shot any way. i shot a 18 out of 25 with them in my BT-100 and they sounded funny. the next round i shot a 24 out of 25 with the same load with the last of my good flexible rxp wads. no more old wads for me in the future. eastbank.
Old July 12, 2012, 04:47 PM   #2
TheKlawMan

Perhaps the old wads were so brittle they fragemented and blew the pattern apart?
Old July 12, 2012, 05:13 PM   #3
BigJimP

You have 2 issues here ...performance and safety.

You're ok shooting them in a break open gun....but not in a semi-auto or a pump gun for sure ( in case you get powder migration in the shell / and poor ignition ) that might lodge a wad in the barrel ...

your first clue was how brittle they were.../ not a great idea to load them...

the cost of the wad is around $ 0.02 per shell ...in an $ 0.18 shell ( X 25 per box or about $ 4.50 for a box of shells..../ not worth fooling with in my opinion.

Performance is the other issue ...not consistent - not a surprise. The wads need to be flexible to seal the powder in the shell - so you get consistent ignition and performance.