The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 10, 2011, 04:32 PM   #1
CrossIL

First buy glock or 1911?

Hi I am new to the forum, and pistols.

I have two choices that I have wanted for some time now. A glock 30, and a Kimber Custom CDP II. I wanted the Glock for my first because of the price and useability but, I fear that because it is not released in Gen4 I would be setting myself up for an immediate upgrade when it comes out (Glock tells me sometime in the next year). Is the Gen4 worth the wait? Should I be considering a Gen4 27 in .40? Should I save up more $ and go for the Kimber to placate my itchy wallet until the new glock 30 is released?

I am probably over thinking this but, some guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Oh and FYI, I live in IL so it will not be used for CC. Just home protection, bragging rights, and FUN!
Old November 10, 2011, 04:38 PM   #2
Chaz88

Personally I would go for the Kimber. I have nothing to back that up other than I like Kimbers more and "just because I want one".

EDIT: My next one is going to be a Coonan .357 Mag, because I want one, it is more unique than a Kimber, and it fits my reloading habits better.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old November 10, 2011, 04:41 PM   #3
new_scopeshooter

two compl. diff pistols.............. as far as personal choice i would go kimber.
i do not like glocks... but i have heard some like the gen 3 glocks better the the gen 4..... it will truely up to you.
Old November 10, 2011, 04:42 PM   #4
Microgunner

The Glocks are easier and safer to use for beginners IMO.
The 1911s (generally) have much better triggers which leads to better accuracy, again IMO.
I'd recommend the Glock over the 1911 for a newbie, even though I'm not much of a Glock fan.
Old November 10, 2011, 04:43 PM   #5
Sheikyourbootie

Kimber.
Old November 10, 2011, 04:49 PM   #6
Deja vu

Quote:
Personally I would go for the Kimber. I have nothing to back that up other than I like Kimbers more and "just because I want one".

EDIT: My next one is going to be a Coonan .357 Mag, because I want one, it is more unique than a Kimber, and it fits my reloading habits better.
Good choice with the Coonan. They are great guns. I know I love mine.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old November 10, 2011, 04:59 PM   #7
divil

OP, look for my recent thread where I compared a Glock 21 (same caliber as the 30 but bigger frame) to a 1911. Of course there are a million Glock vs. 1911 threads/articles/videos out there but this one might interest you because (a) I am relatively new to shooting too, and (b) I had never shot a Glock before, so it's about as honest a comparison as possible.

The short version is: I shot quite a bit better with this Glock 21 than I do with my 1911 - even though I've had the 1911 for a little over a year.

I'm a huge 1911 fan and I still would always recommend a them to most people, but for the price, a Glock is a serious competitor. Much cheaper than a high end 1911. The trigger was different but by no means inferior to the 1911. Ergonomics on the Glock 21 sucked because it's just huge (and I don't have small hands or anything) but the 30 might not be so bad. I don't know what that Kimber costs but I bet it's a fair bit more than the Glock. Since you are new to pistols, I recommend the Glock, from these 2 choices. Shoot the nuts out of it, and when you can shoot really well, then you'll have some idea of what is best for you.

If you do prefer a 1911 (I do), then you might want to consider other brands besides Kimber, for cost.

Last edited by divil; November 10, 2011 at 05:01 PM. Reason: meant to write "new to pistols" not "new to shooting"
Old November 10, 2011, 05:03 PM   #8
tahunua001

9in my own humble opinion that is not held in high esteem, I would go with the glock.
the glock has higher fault tolerance. you can run it dirty, dry and underwater and it'll fire every time. if you ever blow it up they'll ship you a new slide and it'll snap right on and fire 100%. a 1911 requires careful fitting, perfect lube, and cleaning quite often.

the glock has simpler operation. there is no hammer, no manual safety and take down is easy. the 1911... not so much. I have big hands and I find it difficult to lock the slide back on 1911s so it would be awful for a little handed guy.

I am no fan of glocks but I would recommend one over a 1911 any day of the week for a beginner.
Old November 10, 2011, 05:22 PM   #9
Mrgunsngear

1911 or Glock----Wow you opened up a can of worms here!!!

Here's my opinion, and I have at least 10 1911s and 6 Glocks...

My first gun was a G30 (standard frame) and I've put well over 1500 rounds of all types of quality with 0 issues or failures. It's awesome, simply put. Disassembly is easy, cleaning is easy, and function is straight forward. You absolutely can not go wrong with the gun. If I was purchasing one now, I'd buy the SF version because even with large hands, it just feels better to me.

Kimber 1911---I have a Ultra Carry II and it was terribly unreliable for the first 500 rounds and before I put my gunsmithing skills to work. That is unacceptable in my opinion. For a gun that costs that much, it should be reliable out of the box.

As far as 1911s in general: Proven design, the best factory triggers (in terms of gun type) out there, and lots of aftermarket parts available. That said, they tend to be finicky. Also, for operation, maintenance, and cleaning they are a more complex (especially for a new shooter). That said, all those issues can be overcome with education and training.

Bottom line: you'll eventually want both but for your first one, I'd get the G30.
Old November 10, 2011, 05:34 PM   #10
BigJimP

They're both guns ....but the similarity ends there...

I'm not a big Glock fan ...or a big Kimber fan for that matter...

But in the 1911 world - what makes them a better gun in my view / is the trigger. The trigger moves fore and aft in the frame - no slack, no creep ..and crisp breaks. If the gun is well made - and well tuned - they are a great platform. If they are poorly made - not so much. 1911's are available in a number of calibers - but they're common in 9mm and .45 acp ...and in either caliber - its a great platform / if the gun is well made.

Glock - and many guns --- have a hinged trigger. The trigger moves thru an arc ...to break and to reset. No hinged trigger can have no slack ...and most have a lot of creep - and a lot of movement to break and reset ..some have really long resets, a lot of wobble, etc. Is Glock a decent gun - sure / they have oversized chambers - so they feed a lot of ammo reliably .../ are they accurate ..depends / some models have decent triggers - some not so good.

But the bottom line - they are like apples and oranges...

You should buy the gun that fits your hands the best - in the caliber you want - with the features you want - that fits your budget.

Kimber is not known for making high end guns ...they're serviceable guns ...they're mass produced - and spent little, if any, time in the hands of a quality gunsmith...

the 1911 world ...like the hinged trigger world on double action guns ...is full of mfg's that are making guns from $ 500 - to over $ 3,000 and everything in between.

I think a good 1911 - is a great gun / on the Kimber - test the trigger / measure the trigger with a pull gague if you can - and see how it breaks - if you like it, buy it. The Glock - if you want the gen 4 - then wait for it...
Old November 10, 2011, 06:39 PM   #11
Mercenary

Depends on why you want the Gen4. If its the larger mag release or the interchangeable backstraps, then I would wait.

If its for the smaller grip circumference, then I would get the G30 SF now.

FWIW, Springfield just announced that they are realeasing their XDM 3.8 Compact 45

You get a 1911 grip angle with Glock capacity!!!
Old November 10, 2011, 07:01 PM   #12
MonsterB

Quote:
1911 or Glock----Wow you opened up a can of worms here!!!

Here's my opinion, and I have at least 10 1911s and 6 Glocks...

My first gun was a G30 (standard frame) and I've put well over 1500 rounds of all types of quality with 0 issues or failures. It's awesome, simply put. Disassembly is easy, cleaning is easy, and function is straight forward. You absolutely can not go wrong with the gun. If I was purchasing one now, I'd buy the SF version because even with large hands, it just feels better to me.

Kimber 1911---I have a Ultra Carry II and it was terribly unreliable for the first 500 rounds and before I put my gunsmithing skills to work. That is unacceptable in my opinion. For a gun that costs that much, it should be reliable out of the box.

As far as 1911s in general: Proven design, the best factory triggers (in terms of gun type) out there, and lots of aftermarket parts available. That said, they tend to be finicky. Also, for operation, maintenance, and cleaning they are a more complex (especially for a new shooter). That said, all those issues can be overcome with education and training.

Bottom line: you'll eventually want both but for your first one, I'd get the G30.
Thats about as close to a perfect response as you will find. I started pretty much with Glocks, and have tried alot of other guns as well. The 1911 is an awesome platform, no mattre how old it gets, its still extremely functional. That being said, the Glock offers quite a few advantages. Better reliability, less finicky, much easier take down and maintenance, definitely lighter, usually higher capacity, and no safety. Not to mention usually much cheaper.The 1911 is probably more comfortable and more than likely has a better trigger. They point very well, and are very ergonomic. They shoot incredibly well and are extremely accurate. Plus the confidence boost you get from carrying one. For a first gun I would probably go with the Glock, but a 1911 is going to be in your future if you like 45. Be carefull traveling that road, you could be on it for quite a while. And please considder other 1911's than the Kimber. There are much better alternatives out there.
Old November 10, 2011, 07:31 PM   #13
Dwight55

Opinions being like dirty socks, . . . everyone has a couple of em, . . . and they all stink to one degree or another.

IMHO, . . . I definitely believe the 1911 is a far superior handgun, . . . it is simply the safest production semi auto on the market, . . . barring none. The Glock on the other hand is an accident awaiting a moment to occur. Witness for one example, . . . Plaxico Burriss, reached for his "falling" Glock, . . . fired off a shot in a crowded bar, . . . went to jail for a while.

What platform is the winner at the NRA shoots at Camp Perry every year? (Hint, . . . it ain't a Glock)

Glocks in the hands of someone who has had extensive training, . . . has some time under his belt as a handgun owner/shooter are fine. They make a wonderful LEO tool.

If you want to have fun, . . . go to a range that rents both: shoot both. You will (if you are like most people) become a 1911 aficionado.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old November 10, 2011, 07:34 PM   #14
Catchabullet

lubrication...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWh07...feature=relmfu
1911 and "lubrication"

i would not recommend this for a gun you care about but just saying...people always just assume.
Old November 10, 2011, 07:50 PM   #15
bigStag

Quote:
Just home protection, bragging rights, and FUN
I would have to say Kimber 1911.....can't see bragging about a Glock but to each his own.

I'd look at Colt thought....Kimber's just don't seem worth it......and my Colt XSE is reliable, accurate and best of all FUN!

Never understood how no safety is a plus. After all if a gun has a safety doesn't mean you have to use it.....

Last edited by bigStag; November 10, 2011 at 07:57 PM.
Old November 10, 2011, 07:58 PM   #16
CrossIL

Quote:
If you do prefer a 1911 (I do), then you might want to consider other brands besides Kimber, for cost.
What brands are those?
Old November 10, 2011, 08:10 PM   #17
bigStag

Colt, Springfield,

Ruger and Remington....if you can find them.
Old November 10, 2011, 08:18 PM   #18
divil

Quote:
Glock on the other hand is an accident awaiting a moment to occur. Witness for one example, . . . Plaxico Burriss, reached for his "falling" Glock, . . . fired off a shot in a crowded bar, . . . went to jail for a while.
Erm...OK someone messed up badly there but it wasn't Gaston Glock, if we're honest.
Old November 10, 2011, 08:31 PM   #19
HKFan9

If you are trying to decide between a Glock and a 1911 than you have not yet sat down and come to a conclusion on which features your are looking for in a hand gun. They are two different weapon platforms that are worlds apart.... Both can be great for people, yet both have their up's and downs.
Old November 10, 2011, 08:55 PM   #20
JWT

I had a Glock 22 that I bought new. Kept it for about year and sold it. Never liked the way it fit my hand or the recoil from it.

Have three different 1911s and love them all. I'd take a 1911 .45acp over a Glock any time.

That being said, everyone likes different things. The only way to find out is to actually shoot anything you plan on buying if at all possible.
Old November 10, 2011, 09:10 PM   #21
jfrey

Owning both 1911's and Glocks I would suggest a 1911, BUT I wouldn't personally have a Kimber if it was a gift. There are so many other 1911's on the market that are a lot better value for the money. Check out the STI Trojan before you throw away your money on a kimber.
Old November 10, 2011, 09:15 PM   #22
Mrgunsngear

"What brands are those?"

Budget: RIA
Moderate: Smith and Wesson and Springfield
Expensive: Wilson Combat and Nighthawk
Old November 10, 2011, 09:24 PM   #23
Kreyzhorse

Have you shot either of those guns you are interested in? If you haven't, is there a range that you can rent guns? If so, go rent something them (or something similar) and spend some time putting some ammo down range.

As far as Glock or a 1911, both can be great choices but it really comes down to which you like more and most importantly, what fits you best.

As mentioned, check out Springfield, Colt, S&W and Ruger. All of them make really good 1911s in various models and prices.
Old November 10, 2011, 09:33 PM   #24
TxFlyFish

Having owned both platforms, I'd say its a tough choice. These platforms cannot be more different than each other. My main gripe with 1911s is the numerous fluff that gets added onto the gun, that deviates from the traditional functional design. Its almost turned into a semi race gun.

Thats what draws me to the glock, functional, no frills, and simple. Too many 1911 are "feature stuffed value" guns

Last edited by TxFlyFish; November 10, 2011 at 09:38 PM.
Old November 10, 2011, 09:37 PM   #25
ElrodCod

I don't think a 1911 is a suitable pistol for a novice.

Tags
glock 30 , kimber , purchase