The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 28, 2009, 08:05 AM   #326
project88

hi i'm anthony i live in rapid city, sd..anyone on this forum in the area?...my lady only has one firearm(stoeger uplander youth 20ga) whereas i have a handful of various firearms...i'm currently plannin a build up on my sks and building a 10/22 for my younger brother...hopefully people here will be able to aide in answering any questions or giving their opinion of various parts..
Old November 30, 2009, 12:08 AM   #327
tcbpearl

Hello

Newbie here. Not a big gun person till I got a Medusa 47 and a Kimber Ultra 2 recently. I'm a trader but not so muck with guns. I like farm equipment and small 4x4 utility vehicles. Got a lot to learn about pistols. Looks like this site is a good teaching tool.
Thanks for the site.
Cheers, Terry
Old November 30, 2009, 12:45 PM   #328
XDMGATOR

just a note to say Hello to everyone...newbie from florida here!!!
Old December 1, 2009, 08:02 PM   #329
Wick

Hi everyone!! my name is Shaun. I live in Lytle, Tx. just joined yesterday. I am addicted to firearms.I dont have much of a collection, yet.just a saiga 7.62, maverick 88 security 20" 8 shot & maverick88 field 18" 6 shot pistol grip(car/truck gun). searching for the "right" handgun. leaning towards a Glock 21 .45 acp. anyways, i've been browsing your forums for awhile now, Great site!! later
Old December 2, 2009, 11:00 PM   #330
Petespacking

Hi all, I've been lurking for a while and recently started to post. I've been shooting for 40 years and enjoy hand guns most of all but I do have a few rifles. I look forward to getting to know the people on this board and taking advantage of the vast knowledge available.
Old December 4, 2009, 02:43 AM   #331
Gott Mit Uns

My shootin' bio / introduction!

Hi, I just joined a few weeks ago. I am sure glad I found this site! I have been a long time supporter of the 2nd amendment and even ran for congress as a Libertarian back in 96 based primarily on a pro-second-amendment platform.

I have been interested in shooting since I was very young. I had to get my first few BB-guns in clandestine trades with friends in grade school because my mom was against them... I LOVE shooting! I honed my skills past the point that I could out-shoot the capabilities of most common kids bb guns with iron sights. I have never owned a rifle with a scope. I also had the best vision and depth-perception by far in my driver-ed class in high school and I always thought this was why I could shoot well any direction or distance, standing or sitting. My father had a marksman medal in the army too, missed sharpshooter by 1 point or something and he only shot shotguns to hunt for food when he was a kid.

I finally bought my own first good air rifle, a daisy .22 pump, in 1984. It shoots better than just about anything I have owned. I still have it and shoot it. I can line up matchsticks wedged in the railing across the back deck @ my house and hit them mostly every time standing up. The kids and their friends love it when I do shots like that. I also have them point to twigs hanging down in a tree and I hit them for them. I like interesting, difficult, trick shots best. I still love air rifles, my next one is going to be an RWS Diana 48 I think...

My first real gun was a blued Ruger MKII pistol with 6" barrel I bought in college. (I bought a Jennings / Bryco .380 that broke immediately, but that does not count as a gun). Shoots very very accurately too. Still have that one. Love it. After several other guns, I discovered 5-position trap shooting. That became an instant favorite til I moved away from the CHEAP municipal shooting range! Dang! Then I bought a ruger 10/22 and shot the heck out of that -- very accurate bone-stock! I lived in a concealed-carry state for a few years and got a permit to carry and a Taurus PT92 9mm which I carried all the time on my motorcycle. I liked the accuracy and action on that too, as I like to sport shoot with all my guns a lot. I started to load my own ammo back in 1995 or so-- and really enjoy that. I can make low-speed subsonic loads for target shooting which don't beat up my gun, and experiment with load accuracy, etc. I'm a scientist, so I like that too. My most recent purchase, based solely on accuracy reports (which were accurate reports, lol) is the great little blued Taurus PT709 slim. It shoots very well, more accurate than other much longer-barreled 9mm pistols I have shot. I am very happy with it.

I found this site while looking for reviews / info on that gun. What a great website! I love it!
Old December 4, 2009, 02:05 PM   #332
Mustang Boy

New Guy

Hello all i am new to this forum and to the whole world of firearms so bear with me lol.

My name is Justin im 20 and just purchased my first firearm although it isnt what i was planning on buy but i really like my choice. I went to a gun auction last night with my mother to look for a gift for her bf and for my grandfather but all of the guns they would like all went for way more than we were willing to spend and the 2 guns i had put on my list sold for more than retail after you add in auction fees and the other fees so i was like yea um no. Near the end of the auction though they had a trio of blackpowder musketloaders that were going for cheap(well i dont know their value but i liked the price and it was worth it for me) so i purchased the last one of the 3 which in my opinion looked the best got it for $95 after all fees and took it home last night.

and now the part im guessing you all will like the most the pic and info(that i have) about the gun lol

this was advertised like this "Black Powder Percussion Manufacturer Mendi Spain - 41cal" they said when they were describing if that they estimated it was a 41cal because they couldnt find any markings on it but my untrained eye found a marking that said "12m/m" on the barrel of the gun up near the handle and it was a little worn but my young eye could read it lol so im guessing this may be the caliber but again i am far from an expert actually a complete noob lol

so all in all i think i made a good decision for my first gun its not something i will carry around with me for self defense of course but i really like it and it will definitely make a good conversation piece with maybe the rare firing at a gun range
Old December 4, 2009, 02:16 PM   #333
J.Netto

Welcome to TFL. Now that you have a showpiece, go get something new!
Old December 4, 2009, 07:51 PM   #334
Mustang Boy

lol i was planning on buying something new but my 2 choices i was going to bid on went for more than retail price after auction fees and everything were added in and i was deff not gonna pay those prices especially not an auction even though the guns were new in box
Old December 5, 2009, 06:37 PM   #335
richfr

Hi guys I am new around here and new to firearms in general just thought I would say hello.
I am English but live in France and recently joined a shooting club (Tir) in France.
I didn't realize gun laws where a lot more open than in the UK until a few weeks ago when I visited the range.
Withing a few minutes I had a go with a Beretta 92 and a CZ75 and I was hooked
I have to wait 6-9 months before I can buy something interesting (anything more than 22lr rifle) but hopefully I can try a few different guns before I can buy one make the right choice the shops don't carry anything interesting.
I used a Glock 17 last time I visited but found the grip a little to big for me.

*Sorry just realized I put this in the wrong place*

Last edited by richfr; December 5, 2009 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Wrong place
Old December 7, 2009, 01:24 PM   #336
DuchessPariah

Just saying hello.

I also found this forum while looking for reviews on various guns. Though both my parents (who are long separated) own and are familiar with guns, I do not and am not. So I've started my research on the DPS website on the laws surrounding ownership. I'm here because I'd like to learn as much as I can, and you seem like a helpful bunch of people.
Old December 7, 2009, 09:22 PM   #337
woodswalker67

Introduction

Hello all, my name is Gerald I am 42 years old, currently living in Hot Springs, Ar I've been married for 22 years raising 2 children 1 20 years old and 1 13.Transplanted from Illinois now for 5 years, finally have time to get out to the woods.I am a shooting enthusiast in the making, hoping to learn as much as possible.
Old December 8, 2009, 03:06 PM   #338
TJ347

I'm TJ, new to the gun hobby but more addicted by the day! Presently own a PS90, Smith & Wesson 686 revolver and a Hi-Point .45, and have a Kel-Tec P11 and Ruger LCP due in shortly.
Old December 8, 2009, 09:54 PM   #339
80viking

Hi, my name is John, 42 yrs old been playing with guns for well over 20 years, my favorite parts of this hobby are rifles and anything German, I've learned so much from some people who were old 20 years ago, some now very old, some not with us anymore, I am very grateful to them for sharing their knowledge and love of the sport with me, while still eager to learn, I'm happy to share any knowledge or ideas with anyone, especially anyone new to the sport, I live in The Peoples Republic of Massachusetts, not a lot of fun for a gun owner, when I saw this site I had to join it
Old December 8, 2009, 10:05 PM   #340
steve201

new to the zoo.

howdy...another jafo here....just joined today...live in washington state and got my cwp last dec....

Been shooting most of my life since I can remember...joined the AF in 70 and qual'd expert right off the bat....

so..now I've gotten myself a good stable of hand guns....9 as of date...

looking fwd to being able to visit here and maybe learn a thing or 3...

Steve
Old December 9, 2009, 02:58 PM   #341
guitar1580

Hi all, new member here from the Wheeling, West Virginia area. Age 49, and into guitars, motorcycles, guns. I'm not really a hunter, mostly like to target shoot and collect. I've met lots of nice folks on the guitar forums I belong to, and thought I would try the firearm forum. Looking forward to lots of chats, learning, buying / selling with many of you.

Josh P
Old December 9, 2009, 05:06 PM   #342
JakAbot

Hello All,

Hello, My name is Jack, I am 44, retired, have 4 children 26, 7, 5, 2.5 and a loving wife. We live in Washington state, in which the wife and I do exercise our rights to carry concealed. I have since the permit was for "concealed weapons", to the present revised version, "concealed pistol license" and she after revision. We are not in the law enforcement or any releted field. I/we carry G20, xD .45cal ACP Tacticle (both are mine), and an xD 40S&W (the wife's).
More later,
thanks JakAbot

Last edited by JakAbot; December 9, 2009 at 05:14 PM.
Old December 9, 2009, 08:12 PM   #343
ColdBore

Hi everyone! My name is Chuck. I live in Southern Ca. I own a custom .300 Win Mag; all match grade. I'm working on my long range accuracy and enjoy the challenge of sniping. I'm an experienced reloader. Looking forward to discussing many things with you.
Old December 10, 2009, 10:27 AM   #344
remingtonva

Hello all just thought I would stop by an say New member here! Well not new to the site but Love It alot!
Old December 10, 2009, 07:14 PM   #345
CT Garand

New to the site-

New to the site been shooting for sometime mainly like the older military stuff just a lot of fun and carries some history. After buying several Cosmoline covered guns have found a very easy safe chemical free way to clean. As I have heard deasel, brake clean and alike. Believe it or not was able to clean an SKS I just picked up in an hour and a half. Simply used one of those small high pressure steam cleaner. Here is a link to see what I,m talking about.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...=Y&origin=prod
Old December 12, 2009, 01:19 PM   #346
1woo

hi all newbie here

I live in "it sux to own anything california", glad to be part of the site

Last edited by 1woo; December 12, 2009 at 05:50 PM.
Old December 17, 2009, 09:25 AM   #347
DomiFan

Hello from Long Island, NY

Just wanted to introduce myself. Looking to learn from those here and someday give some useful advice to others on the forum.

Steve
Old December 17, 2009, 12:19 PM   #348
shikijiyu

As TFL comes up near the top of any firearms related queries on Google, I have been a reader for a long time, and have found a ton of great advice here.

Today is my first day as a member. I'm 28 and from New Mexico. My Stepdad was a big firearms guy, and we had a lot of fun when I was a kid. But I went a good 15 years after his divorce from my Mother where I didn't even touch a gun. I was reintroduced when I started dating my current girlfriend, whose family has taken me out to the range many times.

I'm hooked again.
Old December 18, 2009, 11:26 AM   #349
NVpirate

Wanted to stop by and say howdy. I'm an original Texan now living in Las Vegas Nv.
I sure miss my Texas whitetail, but have just as much fun varmint hunting here in Nv.
Anyone else in the Las Vegas area, feel free to gimme a shout and we'll hook up for some yotes and jack's.
Thnx, Bryan
[email protected]
Old December 20, 2009, 05:11 PM   #350
eman

Just joined and wanted to say hi. kinda new to forums, but seems like a good place to learn and buy things.

e

Tags
ar15 , cerakote , custom ar , introduction , laser engraving , new agent