The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 4, 2009, 12:51 PM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

laminated wood... anyone played with it ???

my local smith buddy has been making me some "heavy" Contender barrels for target shooting... coupled with the G-2 style new barrel I have coming...

I now need a new camo laminated forend to match my thumbhole camo laminated stock...

finding one has been difficult, I can have one made, with long lead times, or...

I can order a panel, & make a couple of my own... ( I'd been thinking something "blockier" for bench rest use anyway )

anyone done any work with the laminated block??? any other suggestions??? I don't have a problem buying enough for several projects...
Old February 4, 2009, 02:27 PM   #2
sadsack

Magnum: There are several places to get laminated blanks. Boyds is the only name that comes to mind now, but I'll look back at my notes for you. The Contenders work well with the benchrest type stocks your talking about.
Old February 4, 2009, 02:52 PM   #3
Magnum Wheel Man

I know Boyds has the blanks... but I found a place that will sell me sheets of the laminated stock
Old February 4, 2009, 04:41 PM   #4
sadsack

What size are the sheets, and how much? I hadn't even thought about buying a whole sheet.
Old February 4, 2009, 04:56 PM   #5
Magnum Wheel Man

I'm looking at 2" thick sheets... 1.5" or 1.75" sheets would be less money... ( not sure how thick I need it right now )

either 31.5" X 16.5" X 2" at $255.00 plus shipping

or 51" X 16.5" X 2" at $350.00 plus shipping

not so huge, yet big enough to make several pieces...
Old February 4, 2009, 05:33 PM   #6
Pahoo

Not entirely sure what you are asking. I have worked with this material and at one time, made my own laminate. Some are made out of maple and most of what I have seen, out of birch. I made some out of walnut and maple, alternating with 1/8" and 1/4". The birch were dyed. Very good material to work with, strong and stable. Also worked one in all birch laminate and let the adhesive make the designs. I too have made a couple of Contender stocks and helped a buddy make a radical forend, for bench shooting. Always had an idea or making an exotic combination. Hope it helps.

Be Safe !!!