The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 14, 2002, 11:54 PM   #1
Guyon

Question.... Placement of Sling Swivel ?

A while back, I posted a thread about putting a sling stud in a synthetic stock. The consensus was to let a smith do it so he could get it straight and tight. If you've ever looked inside a Remington synthetic stock, you know that there's a small ridge of the synthetic material that runs up the base of the stock, and to secure the sling stud properly, the hole needs to be extremely straight and dead in the center. Not entirely trusting myself to get it "spot on" by hand, and since I don't have a drill press, I was consigned to eventually letting a smith put it on.

Today, I got a catalog from Wilson Combat, where I've bought some odds and ends, including the synthetic stocks on the gun in question--an 870 Express with a 20 inch DRS barrel and an 8-shot Choate extension. (I sure can't afford any of their custom guns right now, but they sometimes have some great deals on the clearance page.) Anyway, I noticed that all their custom 870s have the rear sling swivel mounted on the side of the stock.

I am wondering if that is a good option or if it would be something that would get in the way. Seems like it might interfere with a solid cheek mount. You can see a pic here (scroll down for the second pic): http://www.wilsoncombat.com/sgt/standard.asp

Do any of you have a defensive shotgun set up with the sling swivel mounted on the side of the stock? Is this something custom geared to tactical slings? Any other comments or concerns?

On the plus side, I do see that they sell for only $5 a threaded sling swivel that takes a nut. I think I may order one of these since my biggest concern is the stud pulling out of the synthetic ridge. A nut with a lock washer would seem less likely of ever coming out.
Old January 15, 2002, 08:44 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

If you would like the side mount swivel, make sure to put a reinforcing pad inside the stock. This would be just a piece of metal or plastic to prevent the swivel from pulling the side of the stock out. The stock is fairly thin so the reinforcement would be necessary.
Just drill a hole for the swivel were you want it, get a piece of reinforcement about 1"X1" , (a large washer will do) and attach the swivel through the stock, through the reinforcement, and secure with a nut.

I think the 'smith installed standard location swivel is best, however. The side mounts always get in my way, especially with the sling in place.