The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 4, 2012, 01:02 PM   #1
Kirk Keller

What to charge as an instructor?

A local gunstore has asked me to handle their training needs to include concealed carry classes, basic and advanced handgun as well as a smattering of NRA courses. I've always taught the courses as an individual and as such, pocketed the entire fee. I'm unfamiliar with working for someone else as an instructor and I'm looking for input on what I should charge him and how that scheme should be structured.

I could go for one of two methods;
1. Flat hourly rate - How much?
2. Percentage of the course fee - What percentage?

I'm very interested in hearing what everyone has to say.

Thanks!
Old January 4, 2012, 03:32 PM   #2
Buzzcook

When working with a group, a flat fee is easier to deal with than hourly.

Since you're working for, or in partnership, with the range you should discuss how much to charge with them.
Do a survey of similar courses to get an idea of market rates and go from there.
At the very least though charge enough so that you and the range don't lose money if only one student shows up.
Old January 4, 2012, 04:03 PM   #3
Polydorus

Will you be the Gun Store's employee or an independent contractor?
Old January 4, 2012, 11:13 PM   #4
Discern

You seem to indicate that you are a NRA Certified Instructor so I assume you are aware that you are encouraged by the NRA to have your own insurance that specifies you are covered.

Does this gun store have insurance coverage for this type of activity? They should be able to provide you a Certificate of Insurance if they have coverage.

First, I suggest consulting with your attorney and have him or her at least review your contract.

Who is paying for the class materials? Who owns the range and classroom where these courses will be taught? Will you be able to handle the number of classes and students this gun store will or may require? If you are going to charge a fee, you may want to look at Material Costs + Range Fees + a Flat fee + $X per student. The fee structure paid to you would be different for each class. Put everything in writing. I would suggest having an agreement on a Min and Max class size and that you have the right not to teach an individual if you so choose. I would also suggest having an exit clause so you know ahead of time what will be required to end this contract. It will cost some money, but I suggest consulting and working with your attorney.
Old January 5, 2012, 09:00 AM   #5
Don P

As Discern stated and IMO it depends on who is taking the liability responsibility end of things. Who is supplying the facility for the class room part of the course and how is the range portion of the class being handled as far as payment. I would think being paid by head count would be more beneficial on your end or a set fee for the class itself regardless of number of students. I guess it boils down to how YOU want to get reimbursed for YOUR time and effort
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old January 5, 2012, 03:34 PM   #6
ProShooter

If you are an independant contractor, and not an employee of the store, then you should pocket all of the profits.

They asked you to teach there. That means that they are providing you with a facility, and student base. You in turn are providing them with customers who are going to buy all the stuff you tell them to, like hearing protection, ammo, etc. The store profits from that. Let them know how you are advertising classes at their store and how that brings in additional customers to them.
www.ProactiveShooters.com