The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old October 17, 2006, 05:09 PM   #51
Desert Heat

They are a big enough corporation to where they don't care about what other people think. The fat cats up in the corporate office will still get their paycheck, so policies like the one stated earlier in the thread don't matter to them. I wouldn't waste your time e-mailing those people.
Old October 18, 2006, 03:30 AM   #52
BusGunner007

I almost forgot!

I have to renew my Membership!
Old October 18, 2006, 04:06 AM   #53
stephen426

Just curious... do you guys boycott the post office or do you carry illegally? The post office is considered a federal building since:

Quote:
The USPS is often mistaken for a government-owned corporation (e.g. Amtrak), but as noted above is legally defined as an "independent establishment of the executive branch of the Government of the United States,"[cite this quote] as it is wholly owned by the government and controlled by the Presidential appointees and the Postmaster General. As a quasi-governmental agency, it has many special privileges, including sovereign immunity, eminent domain powers, powers to negotiate postal treaties with foreign nations, and an exclusive legal right to deliver first-class and third-class mail

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...Postal_Service
Heck... the post office is probably more dangerous than any Costco! Why do you think they call it "going POSTAL"???

You guys can do what you want with the boycotts, but I doubt they will change their policies. As someone mentioned, it is probably for "insurance reasons". I save lots of money on the stuff I buy at Costco... lots of money I can use for ammo and range fees!
Old October 18, 2006, 08:37 AM   #54
rick_reno

I was at our Costco yesterday, I didn't see any sign.
Old October 18, 2006, 08:44 AM   #55
FirstFreedom

Quote:
Gunowners themselves who use the term sheeple do more harm than Cosco signs
That's about the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Of course, 0.00% correct. Gunkid, indeed!

Besides, you've used it before. And what WOULD YOU suggest as a good shorthand for the middle-of-the-road-fence-sitters-no-strong-opinion-either-way--on-gun-issues-general-public-which-are-the-all-important-swing-voters-at-election-time-for-keeping-our-gun-rights? You gonna require me to type that EVERY time, or use a useful shorthand phrase which everyone knows what I mean when I use it? If the former, then you can no longer use WA or any other abbreviation as shorthand.

And yes, I ignore the sign at the USPS and carry there. That's only on the rare occasions I go to get stamps, because I do boycott them for shipping the vast majority of the time.
Old October 18, 2006, 12:32 PM   #56
Wildalaska

Quote:
That's about the dumbest thing I've ever heard.
Thats a cogent response

Quote:
And what WOULD YOU suggest as a good shorthand for the middle-of-the-road-fence-sitters-no-strong-opinion-either-way--on-gun-issues-general-public-which-are-the-all-important-swing-voters-at-election-time-for-keeping-our-gun-rights?
Fellow Americans? Citizens? Neighbors/friends?

WildsheepleindeedAlaska
Old October 19, 2006, 12:50 AM   #57
wolfsong

I, myself, find it just a tad ironic that Costco sells gun safes from time to time. I have to agree with most of the sentiment here: concealed is concealed, don't ask, don't tell. Wolfsong.
Old October 19, 2006, 06:09 AM   #58
paramedic70002

If every private enteprise was off limits, how good are our rights? All we could do is joyride around town. Since the government allows a corporation to be treated as a "person", why can't that "person" be required to respect our rights?
Old October 19, 2006, 01:09 PM   #59
RickB

I'd say "private property" trumps "right to carry". I'll still shop there, and if I'm armed, I'll make sure nobody knows it. If they catch me, and ask me to leave, I will. I can't imagine they expend any effort on spotting armed shoppers. It's a PR thing, so people who are clueless will "feel good".
I remember having a somewhat heated discussion with a gal about concealed carry permits, and she kept saying things like "I don't want people with guns on my street", or, "why would I want people with guns near my kid's school?", as if a law against concealed carry would actually prevent it from happening. Gee, let's outlaw car accidents, while we're at it!
Old October 19, 2006, 05:37 PM   #60
John28226

Take your pick where you spend your money

I do not carry into places where it is illegal but, if I can, I avoid those places.
I do not shop at Costco. When I read that they contributed to the Kerry campaign I marked them off my list of places to go. Sam's, on the other hand, contributed to the Bush campaign. If at all possible, I will spend my money with someone with whom I agree.

I don't carry a gun because I expect to be attacked - I carry it for the same reason I carry insurance, have a fire extinguisher and keep my spare tire in my car inflated. If a business wants me to go without any of these I will not spend my money with that business.

What you do is up to you.

John
Charlotte, NC (where there are several Costcos)
Old October 19, 2006, 05:54 PM   #61
Dust_Devil

I go into Starbucks...yes, I shamefully admit I sometimes pay rediculous prices for a Frappacino.. and Starbucks is known to be liberal and given support to gun control. Yet they don't have any "NO FIREARMS ALLOWED" signs and I have walked into their stores a couple of times with open carry and never been bothered by anyone. I have gone in with CCW as well.

So if liberal Starbucks can tolerate my carrying a gun in their store and appreciate my business more than their personal feelings or agenda, then Costco should learn from them.
Old October 19, 2006, 06:31 PM   #62
azredhawk44

Quote:
I go into Starbucks...yes, I shamefully admit I sometimes pay rediculous prices for a Frappacino.. and Starbucks is known to be liberal and given support to gun control. Yet they don't have any "NO FIREARMS ALLOWED" signs and I have walked into their stores a couple of times with open carry and never been bothered by anyone. I have gone in with CCW as well.

So if liberal Starbucks can tolerate my carrying a gun in their store and appreciate my business more than their personal feelings or agenda, then Costco should learn from them.
Yah, but Dust Devil:

If you're even halfway respectable looking and have the gumption to open carry in AZ, it is pretty well assumed by all "sheeple" that you are a police officer. Either off duty or a detective...

After all, you were in the modern day equivalent of Dunkin Donuts.

AZRedhawksorryforthesheeplebutcouldn'tresist44
Old October 19, 2006, 09:48 PM   #63
fshfndr

Cosco won't fly the American Flag

While your on Cosco check and see if they fly the American Flag Nope they don't want to offend their customers. Screw them this is America and the Red White and Blue is the color of this great country and they can take a hike.
Old October 20, 2006, 02:20 AM   #64
Bill T

Make up a simple statement that says because of their "no firearms policy", that they hereby accept full responsiblity for your safety while on their premises. Then ask to see the manager and give it to him with a pen to sign. See what happens. Bill T.
Old October 20, 2006, 08:19 AM   #65
stevelyn

Quote:
I'd say "private property" trumps "right-to-carry".
So it's okay for businesses to engage in discrimination and violate civil rights?

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old October 20, 2006, 11:52 AM   #66
obiwan1

These are all valid arguments and we will never come to an adequate resolution. So....... I'll be in Costco with my friends Heckler and Koch.
Old October 20, 2006, 12:12 PM   #67
Wildalaska

Quote:
So it's okay for businesses to engage in discrimination and violate civil rights?
Yes and no.

WildthatsaneasyoneAlaska
Old October 20, 2006, 12:38 PM   #68
azredhawk44

Quote:
Businesses can choose to refuse service to anyone. That's private property, plain and simple. I'm actually MORE OK with businesses restricting CCW on premises than I am government. The government is public property.

Refusing service is not violating civil rights. You have no "right" to any product I offer as a businessman. I can elect to enter into a private contract with you for the purchase/use/lease of my goods or services. You can elect the same. Neither of us can force the other into such a contract.

That said... CCW "not allowed" postings are about as dumb as "pocket knives not allowed" or speed limit signs in private parking lots. And have about as many teeth when enforced.

How many of you do 5 MPH in the mall parking lot?
Old October 20, 2006, 12:59 PM   #69
mvpel

Some basis for refusal is a legal cause of action, such as refusing to serve a black person.
1 Samuel 13:19
Old October 20, 2006, 01:07 PM   #70
Wildalaska

OK.....and generally

You cant refuse to do biz with a person on the basis of race, creed, coolur or religion (or in some states sexual orientation)in a place of public accomodation (like a business).

You can limit free speech in a place of public accomodation.

You can restrict or prohibit political activity in a place of public accomodation.

You can restrict the carrying of weapons.

WildseethedifferenceAlaska
Old October 20, 2006, 01:44 PM   #71
David Armstrong

Quote:
Gunowners themselves who use the term sheeple do more harm than Cosco signs
Bravo and well said. I know a lot of folks who don't carry, and don't want to carry, that are far from defenseless. Gunowners would do well to remove the term from their lexicon. It is frequently incorrect and always insulting.
And of course it is always enlightening to see how many honest, law-abiding gun owners jump up and immediately start advocating dishonesty and breaking the law in these situations.
Old October 20, 2006, 01:49 PM   #72
David Armstrong

Quote:
You can discriminate all you want to as long as that discrimination is not based on a a protected characteristic. And prohibiting CCW in a private business is not a violation of civil rights.
Old October 20, 2006, 02:15 PM   #73
DonR101395

Quote:
And of course it is always enlightening to see how many honest, law-abiding gun owners jump up and immediately start advocating dishonesty and breaking the law in these situations.
I can't speak for your state, but in FL those signs don't mean a thing. Unless I'm asked to leave the store and refuse I'm not breaking any laws, then the law I'm breaking is tresspassing. As for dishonesty I don't feel it's dishonest to legally carry a legal weapon into a legal business.
Old October 20, 2006, 02:22 PM   #74
Bill T

I'm much the same way, I simply ignore most all, "No Firearms Allowed" signs unless it's on government property. Then you can get into real trouble. My attitude is what Denny's and Costco don't know won't hurt them, BUT IT MIGHT ME. So I carry regardless. If a situation occured forcing me to shoot to save my life, I seriously doubt if the place in question is going to make a stink about it. And if they chose to it would be the least of my worries. Bill T.
Old October 20, 2006, 02:29 PM   #75
westphoenix

Bill you seen the sign at Denny's?
I don't believe I have.
What gets me about Costco is who they support (and the no firearms policy).
Closed Thread