The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 4, 2012, 09:28 AM   #1
tAKticool

ProMag Saiga 12 Magazines?

Hey all,

So basically my Dad is getting a Saiga 12 for Christmas... He has wanted a shotgun for defense for a while now, but he only wants a semi auto... as a former LEO boss he is big into autoloading, "just pulling the trigger", so he only wants an autoloader... But of course he is cheap too, I show him the nicer autos and hes like, "$1200 DOLLARS?! YOU KIDDING ME??? What's wrong with this $219 Pardner????" Well it's a knockoff... SO????? It's a pump... OH. nevermind...

Lol so the only options I really had was to get him a M930SPX (Which I have already) because I can't afford $1300 for say a Benelli M2 or even $1000-1100+ for a 1187P... (which has a too-big-mag-capacity-for-NJ).

So anyway when I mentioned once how autos work and he said, "Wait, magazine capacity, there is a shotgun with a magazine???" I was like, Magazine, not really, well wait, there is a shotgun with magazines, the Saiga 12... Well he was in love. I mean he was just LOLing, Just think! A Shotgun with changeable magazines!!!! You could defense the home for hours!!! Keep badguys at bay magazine after magazine!

So I bought the Saiga 12 a few weeks ago. Yesterday I ordered about $200-ish worth of ProMag magazines. There is nothing more useless than an unloaded firearm, or in this case, a firearm with changeable magazines Without having magazines... So I bought a bunch. The thing is, on Saiga 12 forum, all the people hate the ProMags. On MidwayUSA, all the comments were extremely favorable- EXCEPT- at least "a few" comments suggested you have to bamboozle each magazine to fit? File them down/cut this remove that etc... Is that true, do i have to hand fit each magazine to the shotgun? Cause that kind of sucks?

And last if anyone has experience with a new Saiga 12, a lot of posts seem to say that the Saiga 12 needs a thorough break in period and after that it might only want to shoot slugs ... now here where I live I dont really shoot any slugs, I keep them of course just in case, but its generally buck shot then birdshot at the range, and buck shot in the gun for defense / etc. I had planned on just doing what I always do to break in a new shotgun: Run a few boxes of 00 Buck first through it, then at least one or two 100rd value packs of 7 1/2 / 8 shot Federal value packs to get it going.... Am I wrong in thinking this would be fine? And am i right thinking blasting 00 Buck through it is just as good as blasting Slugs through it? OR do I really need to run boxes of slugs through it just to get it smoothed out? Thanks if you have any info, much appreciated.
Old December 4, 2012, 09:33 AM   #2
RedBowTies88

The saiga forum has a myraid of information on them. They can and will cycle with just about any 2-3/4 load. It will just take some tweaking to do it.

Also, don't try to convert it to pistol grip configuration....thus would make it an assualt firearm per NJ.
Old December 4, 2012, 02:44 PM   #3
tAKticool

LOL.

Thanks for terribly informative reply. it will take me a while to digest all that.