The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 10, 2010, 06:11 PM   #1
steve1147

Learning some stuff w/my first Chrony

I've learned:
ALL the factory rounds I have are faster than my reloads. This includes 38 spl, 357 mag, and 45 acp.
What I THOUGHT was a hot/fast round in 357 due to the kick and flash (20 grains Win 296 under a 125 grain jhp) is actually slower than factory Remington with the same bullet, AND over 120fps slower than my loads of 10 grains of HS-6! (got average of 1364/sec out of this, 1402 out of factory Remington, only 1256 with the 'almost violent' loads of 296)
Of course, I'm shooting all 4" barrels, I'm sure a 6"+ would increase speeds and probably work better with different loads.
I fired 6 of each and averaged the speeds. No matter, I've found something new and interesting!
Steve W.
Old December 10, 2010, 07:59 PM   #2
k4swb

Chronographs are fun, and eye opening.
Old December 10, 2010, 09:43 PM   #3
kdog70

I was so happy when I got my first chrono. My "accurate" rifle loads were very slow with terrible ES and ED. So I got to do a whole bunch of shooting and load development. Now I do load development a little different,

I borrowed an idea from a gunsmith on longrangehunting.com. He shoots loads over a chronograph and finds max pressure and backs off 2 grains with large cases and find he gets 1/2moa loads with usually less then 20 ES. I have had great luck with that style and I tweak my loads after sometimes just like everyone else. I have done it this way 4 rifles and 1 243 center grip pistol.
Old December 10, 2010, 09:49 PM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

A chrony is an awesome piece of equipment. I consider it required for handloading. Considering that a decent unit is $80, I don't know why anyone would be without one for long.
Old December 10, 2010, 10:18 PM   #5
P-990

Hmmm... That's not a very "hot" 125gr load with the 296. I run only a grain less with a 140gr XTP. My combination with the 140 is accurate but doesn't have outstanding ES and SD, and runs a bit slow too.

But the moral is, chronographs can be fun and educational! So many times the results make you go
Old December 10, 2010, 10:51 PM   #6
Shoney

YEAH! They are a lot of fun! But it's an absolute knee slappin' gut buster when someone shoots the chrony.

I haven't had the fun of shooting mine, but my son has shot the sky filters out twice.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old December 12, 2010, 07:25 AM   #7
steve1147

Quote:
Hmmm... That's not a very "hot" 125gr load with the 296. I run only a grain less with a 140gr XTP.
When I first worked it up a year or so ago others on this forum agreed with you, and my manual says 22 gns. max. instead of the 20 I was loading.
I stopped at 20 due to the noise/kick and the slightly flattened primers. I was assurred my GP100 would handle more, but I was going by seat-of-the-pants feel. The 296 just felt more like 'explosive' than 'accelerant'!