The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 15, 2014, 07:46 PM   #1
pawneefork

Where's the .45 Colt?!

Seems like every time I buy a vintage gun I really like -- like the S&W Model 28, or the Model 29 -- or in this case, a sweet Colt SAA, there's never any ammo in the pipeline for the caliber I picked. There is not a single box of Remington .45 Colt round nose lead out there anywhere. I knew there were ammo issues, but this has gone on too long. I could find 9, 40, or 45 if I wanted to, but revolver ammunition is impossible to locate. What's the deal anyway? Have mfgs given up...? Wrong season?
Old February 15, 2014, 07:57 PM   #2
Kappe

.45 Colt is very much a reloader's caliber. Same with .44-40, .44 Special and Russian... bascially any revolver cartridge that is NOT .38 Special, .357 Magnum, or .44 Magnum.
Old February 15, 2014, 07:59 PM   #3
Hawg

My local Wal Mart usually has a few boxes. Its pricey but then it always has been.
Old February 15, 2014, 11:51 PM   #4
bedbugbilly

If you're going to do a lot of shooting . . . reloading is the only way to go. I went that route and have never looked back. I reload a lot of 38 spl for my Ruger NV SA as well as vintage Colts and Smiths. I can shoot 'em cheaper than a person can shoot a 22 now a days. I have plenty of the brass so my only expense is primer and powder charge - I cast my own bullets and have very little if anything in the lead I'm currently using.

As an example - I paid anywhere from .04 to .08 per once fired brass (or nickel) which can be reloaded many times. Primer - rounded up to .04 per casing. Powder - I'm using Bullseye so can get well over 2,000 rounds out of a pound - so figure .02 per round. So that's a whole .06 per round. If you buy your bullet, figure around .10 / bullet. Yes, you have your time in to casting and loading - but hey - reloading is a hobby too.

If you're loading your cartridges with BP - it's going to run more per round but it still beats buying off the shelf. There's an initial cost to the reloading equipment but a person can buy used equipment or they don't need the most expensive equipment to reload. Over time, if you do a lot of shooting, it will pay for itself on what you save from buying commercial loads.

You might want to give that a thought and eventually get in to it. Most pistol cartridges are not that hard to load. Like anything else, you use common sense, pay attention to min and max loads and do everything with safety in mind. I finally went that route when I got sick and tired of paying the high prices of pistol cartridges if and when you could find them.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old February 16, 2014, 12:17 AM   #5
rodwhaincamo

Casting your own bullets is cool too!

With limited choices, and only one in a design I wanted but was expensive, I had a custom mold made for my cap n ball guns. So instead of $50/100 + shipping I spent <$200 on a 5 cavity mold with 3 designs and spend $1/lb on lead. You could cast 27.4 bullets that weigh 255 grns for your .45 Colt with just 1 pound of lead. That's less than $0.04 ea, though you'd have to account for the mold, pot, and ladle.

I bought Lee stuff as it's inexpensive.
Old February 16, 2014, 12:21 AM   #6
North East Redneck

As others have said- you must reload your own. I have been casting and reloading for only a few months and the $$ saved is what allows me to shoot .45 colt. Picked up some 12 gauge slugs @ LSG last week, noticed some .45 Colt on the shelf for $60+ for a 50 round box. Went to the Wall-Mart today, they had 3 boxes of .45 Colt, priced @ $41+ for 50 round boxes.
Old February 16, 2014, 04:58 PM   #7
PetahW

Cowboy loads in .45 Colt are usually available @ LGS', in my area.

Old February 16, 2014, 05:07 PM   #8
Hawg

Quote:
Cowboy loads in .45 Colt are usually available @ LGS', in my area.
Yeah but they're still about 40 bucks a box.
Old February 17, 2014, 12:45 AM   #9
Doc Hoy

What Hawg said....

Quote:
Yeah but they're still about 40 bucks a box.
And

They are loaded w/ smokeless. Not with black powder.
Old February 17, 2014, 08:00 AM   #10
mavracer

Manufactures only have so many machines and manpower so what caliber do you want to stop producing to run a few 45 Colts out.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old February 17, 2014, 04:58 PM   #11
Colt46

It's a travesty, but relfects the market

Better get into reloading, otherwise get the .44 magnum.
Old February 18, 2014, 01:38 AM   #12
salvadore

If you are whining about cost and availability and you don't reload it's tough to work up any sympathy.
Old February 18, 2014, 11:26 AM   #13
tater134

I bought one box of .45 colt when I got my first revolver chambered in it and started reloading as soon as I finished the box. Factory ammo is just too pricey. I don't cast but a local shop sells cast .45 bullets in 400 bullet boxes for around $55 so I can reload my own for much cheaper than factory ammo.
Old February 18, 2014, 05:31 PM   #14
Thorerik

The only way I could participate in CAS was to reload my own 45LC. With the right equipment you can recover your costs in a short time of course depending upon how much you shoot. I cast my own bullets too. I don't look at it as a waste of time either.