The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 5, 2009, 10:21 AM   #1
Texas_Hunter

How to smooth an 870 action ??

Anyone have a link to how to smooth the action of an 870? I have a new Tactical Magnum that I want to be buttery smooth without having to shoot 500 rounds through it.
Old February 5, 2009, 10:29 AM   #2
Super-Dave

Hold down the slide release button and just pump it back and forth. Do this a couple of thousand times and it will be smooth as butter. Make sure you do it quickly. Dont fire it just move the pump back and forth. Also if there is any oil in the reciever dry it out. Also dry any oil off of the slide rails. You do want to have oil underneath the slide on the magazine tube so the bluing or parkerizing of the magazine tube does not get warn down. You want metal on metal friction to smooth out the burs and smooth out the metal.

Just sit there watching tv and do it or put on your headphone and listen to music and do it.

I did this to mine so much that the bluing is off of the bolt and the bolt is now nice and shinny like it is stainless steel

I believe this technique will work for any shotgun.

George Orwell

Last edited by Super-Dave; February 5, 2009 at 10:37 AM.
Old February 5, 2009, 03:46 PM   #3
oletymer

Way back when I shot pump shotguns we used to tear them down and put a light coating of vavle grinding compound on the parts then as stated above work the action a lot. We would then take them down and clean all of that off, lube and reassemble. The actions were so smooth after that it make the current guns seem crude in comparison. Just working the action a lot will eventually make them the same however.
Old February 5, 2009, 09:52 PM   #4
Lee Lapin

Shoot it A LOT. That will smooth it out and more importantly, smooth you out at the same time .

lpl
Old February 5, 2009, 09:57 PM   #5
Nnobby45

All good solutions. I only noticed my action being a little less than smooth or stiff when testing it to see if it was smooth.

During bird hunting, it didn't make the slightes difference and was completely unnoticeable when operating the slide in the normal manner (fast). Using the shot gun smoothed it out.

My Wison Scattergun Tech is so smooth, it about falls open. Incredible. I'm not sure how they do it.

Last edited by Nnobby45; February 5, 2009 at 10:04 PM.
Old February 5, 2009, 10:45 PM   #6
Bill DeShivs

Here is a better solution:
Put lithium automotive grease on the moving parts. This won't put undue wear on the metal like pumping it or (God forbid) lapping it with valve grinding compound.
Old February 6, 2009, 08:42 PM   #7
Texas_Hunter

Thanks for all the great advice. I think I will work the action a lot and put a small amout of lithium on it too.
Old February 6, 2009, 09:30 PM   #8
ActivShootr

Quote:
This won't put undue wear on the metal like pumping it or (God forbid) lapping it with valve grinding compound.
Yeah the lapping compound will get all over everthing and polish stuff you don't want polished. Just lube it and shoot it.

Tags
870 , action , polish , pump , smooth